The bikes that got us hooked

Palaeodom

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo .... if anybody has one of these in a medium and wants to sell PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I am just after the frame, but will consider the whole bike if I have to.

post-5403-0-73383300-1297325272.jpg

post-5403-0-12447000-1297325275.jpg

5 years ago, broke up with my chick, was all over the place.

Fattest and siffist i have ever been

Spent too much time in the pub, then something in my head switched, i bought this bike from a co-worker and did my 1st argus, i am pretty sure that cycling actually saved my life.

I feel the same. Got in with a bad crowd, was drinking and partying way too much. When I started cycling and became hooked, I realise the two didn't go together and I chose cycling. You just can't wake up for a race at 5am when you only got home drunk after 3. I still party, but limit the alcohol.

My first bike that I bought as an adult was my Giant Rincon. Loved that bike and it just went, never had any issues even though I didn't look after it properly.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss148/DaLoCo69/ChipperYellow.jpg

This what I started on....

After that it was an Arrmstrong Challenger...the first cotterless racing bike!!!

Can't find a pic 'cos all searches give pics of Lance Armstrong :angry:

@bikemonster... I know for me what changed was the amount of cash I could spend.

Then it was like.. "AHHHH DAAAAAAAADDDDDDD!!!!! BUUTTT AAAALLLLLLLL THE other kids are riding theEEEESSSE!!!"

"PLEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!??????"

Now it is more a case of I want Zipp 404's. I will sell a freaking kidney to get my Zipp 404's (Or what ever bling works for you) Now, wheres that damm phone book with the kidney harvesters contact numbers? :D

Ratty you make such a valid point.. Just changing focus slightly so that the ride becomes more important can lead to so many healthy effects.

People ask me how to loose weight. I say buy a bike. Any bike. Then just ride. It does not matter how far/ how hard/ how high or how low. Just ride. And as you ride AND HAVE THE MOST FREAKING FUN YOU HAVE HAD SINCE YOU WERE EIGHT YEARS OLD the rest will take care of itself.

Spent too much time in the pub, then something in my head switched, i bought this bike from a co-worker and did my 1st argus, i am pretty sure that cycling actually saved my life.

Went through the same 2-3 years ago... was fat, depressed and not the nicest person to be around... Dusted off the old Trek that had been gathering dust in the garage for a number of years... and started LIVING again!! :)

I even moved to CT to enjoy all the trails down here. Must admit that I spend more time on my road bike down here than I ever did up North!

But more time in the dust + more time on the tar = more time out cycling!! :clap:

Either way... I got hooked on cycling again on that old Trek... and in the process it helped me to get hooked on life again!! :)

People ask me how to loose weight. I say buy a bike. Any bike. Then just ride. It does not matter how far/ how hard/ how high or how low. Just ride. And as you ride AND HAVE THE MOST FREAKING FUN YOU HAVE HAD SINCE YOU WERE EIGHT YEARS OLD the rest will take care of itself.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Before the Schwinn, I had these two little beauts... I would LOVE to get my hands on another couple of these, especiall for my son :thumbup:

You always knew the Chopper riders from the lack of skin, especially on their knees <_< . They always seemed to dump you right on your knee (my brother had one) :blink:

Western Flyer Mean Machine. It was yellow, full suspension, with a plastic petrol tank, mudguards and number plate. Got it for my 7th birthday in 1979 and I've been hooked on bikes ever since.

I read somewhere in the week that cycling is a very emotional experience for riders. This thread sure proves the depth of love that we have for our bikes, and for riding.

post-1604-0-79435200-1297326088.jpg

There's a great chapter in this book - by Joe Lindsay, if memory serves - which deals with the emotions and the sense of liberty that first bike gives you.

@bikemonster... I know for me what changed was the amount of cash I could spend.

Then it was like.. "AHHHH DAAAAAAAADDDDDDD!!!!! BUUTTT AAAALLLLLLLL THE other kids are riding theEEEESSSE!!!"

"PLEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!??????"

Now it is more a case of I want Zipp 404's. I will sell a freaking kidney to get my Zipp 404's (Or what ever bling works for you) Now, wheres that damm phone book with the kidney harvesters contact numbers? :D

I'm running out of internal organs. I have two kids who are bike-mad too!

An old Zini that was waaaay to big for me, handed down to me from my Dad.

The Zini's were good bikes. Bought my first Zini in 1986(MK11)Replaced it with a new Zini in 1995 when I did my best Argus(105km - I think) Unfortunately the factory that build the Zini's closed. :(

im with you... same here. my break-up improved my cycling...broke scared my hart chambers, cost my knee, alot of sweat and the by far the most zen moments up on table mountain i have experienced to date.

Got hooked, 12 years ago,

not on the first Oversized Trek 370 Road Series from guess who... CAJEES

on the Giant OCr3

Looonnng time ago, Raleigh Burner, Raleigh Bomber... AND THEN smoking, boozing, Woman and the weightroom at the gym took over

post-112-0-63491200-1297326575.jpg

You always knew the Chopper riders from the lack of skin, especially on their knees dry.gif . They always seemed to dump you right on your knee (my brother had one) :blink:

I came on my A&^%S a good few times. Man, that was a rocking bike.