Want to upgrade my bike-But not sure what to do

Stray Cat

Hey guys

So Im working in france for the next 2 months and was ridiculously busy at work during November and December and as a result I have been neglecting my baby ;)

So in order to make it up to her, Id like to bring here back some gifts from Europe (CRC is looking pretty cheap as I dont have to pay certian taxes and delivery charges are also less)

My problem is that I dont really have the greatest technical knowledge about bikes, still in the process of learning.

So, I have a 2010 Merida 96 3000D and have a € 500 Euro allowance for excess luggage when I return, (unfortunately my Missus's shopping list will use about €150 of this) so I do have a bit of space in my luggage when I come home

What do you guys recommend in terms of upgrades for my bike?

Thanks guys

Give the stock setup of your Merida, so we dont have to go look it up to suggest which parts to boot and bling.

Give the stock setup of your Merida, so we dont have to go look it up to suggest which parts to boot and bling.

Yeah good point, here it is

Full Shimano XT

Magura Louise brakes

Magura Durin 100 front shock

DT Swiss rear shock - cant remember which model

FSA Handle bars, stem, seatpost and seat

DT Swiss wheelset - once again not 100% which model

Sorry guys, thats the most I can remember off hand, Ill get my old man to have a look at the components tonight and hopefully I can give a better breakdown of the components

Full Shimano XT

Magura Louise brakes

Sorry guys, thats the most I can remember off hand, Ill get my old man to have a look at the components tonight and hopefully I can give a better breakdown of the components

Yeah will try post some pics tonight, not to sure if I have any with me at the moment, but its the stock standard black and white model

Would definately like something to help go faster but would mind something to make her look good to

Firstly, I'd recommend you order spare Magura brakes pads... at R300 per set at the LBS, vs R184 at CRC, even less R127.00 if you order 4 sets (front and rear and then 2 spare sets). You never know when you need them on a muddy stage race.

Make sure you order the correct ones - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20915

Besides a decent wheel set (tubeless rims, not conversion like the DT Swiss rims that come with the bike), I'd go with the bling route as you'll pay close to R3500 - R4000 for a semi-decent brand.

Full Shimano XT

Magura Louise brakes

[/quote]

the 2010 model has the X-fusion shock, and the 2011 one has the DT M210 50 Lockout w/Remote

The wheel set is the DT Swiss XR445 Disc

Firstly, I'd recommend you order spare Magura brakes pads... at R300 per set at the LBS, vs R184 at CRC, even less R127.00 if you order 4 sets (front and rear and then 2 spare sets). You never know when you need them on a muddy stage race.

Make sure you order the correct ones - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20915

Besides a decent wheel set (tubeless rims, not conversion like the DT Swiss rims that come with the bike), I'd go with the bling route as you'll pay close to R3500 - R4000 for a semi-decent brand.

Your local bike shop is uninformed or they ripp you off on the price of brakepads.