the all mountain bike - myth or reality?

Redline

so, not to hijack Stev0's topic. Wes got me thinking that I am not to old for downhill :)

Talking to bike shops, they recommend spending 20k on proper dh bike. that is a bit much.. so to investigate other options:

the "all mountain bike" is a myth. any jump, or big rock or similar requires a very low seat height, otherwise the seat kicks you over the bars.

you need a high seat for XC for proper leg extension and comfort. so just taking those two factors into account it is not possible. right?

so is the only option then a soft-tail with a seat drop device?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Redline,

Thanks for kicking me in the balls :)

There has to be a bike/hybrid that I can throw around and not snap in two while doing it. There is no way im paying 20k for a showroom bike, just to pull it out and be offered 12 on the street. Riding a bike should not be like owning a volvo...(anybody want to buy mine)

I would just like to find something not too expensive and yet suitable to my needs. How big of a jump would a XC bike handle with a 100kg bloke on top :o

no kick intended at all :) hahaha

just I am in the same position, just poorer.. I was thinking like spending 5 or 6 k

i got a xc hard tail... and it might take a big drop off, but it will crack your crack... need that duel to smooth it out a bit.

Have to agree with leet22. Giant reign is the way forward. Can travel XC distances and could race DH on it no probs-not cheap though!

Have to agree with leet22. Giant reign is the way forward. Can travel XC distances and could race DH on it no probs-not cheap though!

R24000 for a brand new one but can pick up 2nd hand for R16000 or less :)

All-mountain is not a myth. I'm currently riding what I dreamt about a few years ago:

post-3655-0-14744700-1297967506.jpg

I hate showing off my steed (OK, that's a lie ;)), but truth be told, you can go @#$ing fast downhill on this puppy if you know what you're doing. Bos used to ride a Santa Cruz Blur LT at speeds most downhillers would kill for, and that was in what most people would call XC mode.

I'm currently riding my bike at 140mm on the front with an XC-style inverted 100mm stem. With a 80mm normal stem on it, it's a killer go-fast-DH rig. Unfortunately it's not cheap (you could build up one like mine with 2yr old SLX/XT parts, cheap wheels and a 2007 frame for about R16k), but damn I love it.

Rock on AM!

Surely It's about the rider? im pretty sure greg minnaar could take a cyclocross bike faster down a hill that i could on his DH steed? maybe i have the wrong idea...

Quite right Nicsname, but you do need somewhat of a bike underneath you to make it work. There's no way I can pin a hardtail with 80mm fork down a rocky section at nearly the same speed as my Intense, but at the same time there are guys who can outride me on 100mm XC full sussers. If the skills gap is big enough, what you're saying is very true. Greg Minnaar would definitely be quicker down a hill on the average weekend funrider's hardtail than the funrider would be on Greg's bike, but I reckon if did the same with someone who rides technical stuff pretty quickly all the time, it would be a different story. I reckon if you put Greg on a hardtail and me on his bike, it would be pretty close. I say pretty close because I'd be in with a remote chance of beating him down the average DH course! :)

AM is definitely not a myth.

I started on a 5.5" Mojo (12.5kg) and recently went for the 6" Mojo HD (13.5-ish).

The 5.5" Ibis Mojo for example can built up around 10kg and guys do the Epic on them.

Add a stronger wheel set, and you can do all sorts, the DW-link suspension does help a lot (Brian Lopes won a DH race in France on a 6" HD against 8" bikes)

There are a few designs that will be fine - Giant's Maestro is one of them as well.

All mountain is not a myth... the Giant Reign is awesome, I've ridden the 2010 and it can climb and descend. A mate has an 07 and he swears by it. 07/08s go for R10k - 16k

My dream bike is a Santa Cruz Nomad or Butcher. Failing that, a Reign. Failing that, a 2nd hand Reign. Failing that (and currently the most plausible scenario) an On-One 456 Summer Season with a Rock Shox Sektor with adjustable travel :thumbup:

I also have a reign, and would agree with the above comments. Had an older reign that i basically donated to a friend and just upgraded to a new one. Both bikes are excellent, i am not the greatest climber (getting better as the weight comes off) and i'm having no problems with doing 28km at Tokai, and when you point the bike down its just pure fun

For cheaper option +1 on the reign front.

My wife rides one and she loves it.

Had the opportunity to ride it in Eden one day and liked the fact that you could pedal it up the mountain, all around and then bomb it on the downhills.

damn that mojo is one fine looking machine! where is the drool smiley?!

Reign looks like a better value option tho

Has anyone ever seen a broken Reighn frame? I certainly haven't and I think they are near indestructible.