the all mountain bike - myth or reality?

Redline

Wes, slap a bigger tire up front and keep the 2.1 out back. See how it rolls? Are you sure they are 2.5's?

High Rollers should roll better than the Nevegals

yeah i'm pretty sure they're 2.5s :P more than enough tread left on 'em as well

2.5 up front and 2.1 out back - ain't that gonna feel weird?

post-12904-0-63358300-1307697484.jpg

post-12904-0-08863000-1307697502.jpg

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grip up front and hopefully rolling out back....but it all boils down to feels right for you.

If it was me, Maxxis all round...but those 2.5's are heavy

Keen to get on to an all mountain as well. Redwoods in Rotorua is less than an hour's drive away, and believe me when I say that is trail-riding paradise. More berms than you can imagine.

Considering this deal:

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=66552

Will arrive in NZ at a price of about R17k. Any opinions, esp on the Lyric fork? Rest of the spec seems pretty good for the price.

That's very good value for money, seriously. Apparently Lyriks are amazing pieces of kit.

Also, that's pretty much a Commencal (a good thing). You know that Max Commencal is the guy behind Sunn?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/interview-max-commencal-19709/

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Don't be rediculous. Surely you must know that Intense's only have a "full speed" button when the hill points downwards?

What was I thinking? You're right, my bad!

just had a quick inagural ride at majik forest - man. it's a whole new world!

so when we hitting up that DS track... ;)

That's very good value for money, seriously. Apparently Lyriks are amazing pieces of kit.

Also, that's pretty much a Commencal (a good thing). You know that Max Commencal is the guy behind Sunn?

http://www.bikeradar...ommencal-19709/

Thanks Martin I reckon I am going to have to hit the Funn button (which is also the 'empty the wallet button...) biggrin.gif

How's the scene down there? Lots of riders/trails etc?

LOTS and lots of riders; especially families, so you see a lot more 'funrider' types in the mountain bike parks, with entry level gear and the kids, but huffing up the 17% hills anyway. Huge amount of trails - nearly every town has its own mountain bike park; land access is a different story here, as landowners tend to be very protective of their territory. The answer to that is that government makes land available for MTBers, and the parks are almost all free (Woodlands in Auckland has an entry charge, I think, but I haven't ridden there).

Trail/freeriding is the name of the game here - racing, much less so. Most 'serious' riders have 5 or 6 inch travel bikes, with the emphasis on bombing the gnarly stuff rather than how fast you can make it to the top of the hill.

Redwoods is considered the jewel in the crown trail-wise (free entry). Rotorua is world famous among MTBers for it. You actually have to ride it to experience it. To give you an idea, you can descend at full speed on berms, jumps, dropoffs, awesome stuff for over 25 minutes before you have to puff up a hill. There is nothing like it in SA...and there is an uplift, too, so when you get to the bottom, you get on the bus and go back on to the top. They say that if you were to ride all the singletrack in redwoods, it would take longer than 24 hours to do it. An interesting feature is that they use labour from prison inmates/community service misdeameanor types to build and maintain the trails....and they do a spectacular job.

What is missing, though, is the stuff I really like - the rocky 'raw' trails. You don't get much of that here - a lot more purpose-built stuff. Which means the kind of skills Epic riders have are woefully inadequate! I had so many people coming past me on the downhills in a race through redwoods....that I decided I need to practice a damn side more!

http://www.redwoods.co.nz/ have a look here...

Any recommendations for tyres for the ultimate mythical AM machine?

Track will be mostly dry rocky trails and down hills, but do intend to pedal up them hills.

Seems some of the dedicated 'DH' Tyres are great for going down, but have high rolling resistances. Looking for something beefy upfront (2.2" at least?) and a bit smoother on the rear.

Preferably stock for CWC and Buycycle, or CRC if I have to.

Thanks

X-Post:

Have tried several tires over the years. I like

* Nevegals: Great Grip with predictable drift, but heavy and slow, overkill on dry hard pack but allround enough for the rest

* Nobby Nic: Seriously Expensive, doesn't last long, light for the size, great grip and fast enough, great in wet

* Racing Ralph: Good for XC/TRail, exspensive, doesn't last long enough, light, fast, not great in the wet

* Weirwolfs: Brilliant XCTrail tire. Light, fast with plenty of grip

* Minion: Good for AM en DH, give not always predictable, light for what it is DHR not the best tyre out, DHF great for front and rear

* High Rollers: Almost the perfect tire. Light for its size, fast , great grip, only the worst of winter (serious mud) will be too much for it, affordable. On the down side its a pity they don't make a non-DH 2.5. The 2.35 LUST is 830g f I remember correct. But to run 2.5 (on DH/Hectic AM rides I do) you have to run a UST from their DH range and then the weight jumps to over 1.2k's. Bloody hell! But worth it. Also they run narrow for their size. 2.35 is the same size as 2.1 Nevegal and the 2.5 is close to 2.35 Nevegal.

I'm not a Conti fan. Too $$, narrow, thin sidewalls, mostly rubbish treads, but light. There are some other nice tires, but nothing I'm fanatical about.

The great thing about High Rollers are that they are fast for the amount of grip. Truly the Holy grail. I've been testing a Anthem X and was running HR front and XMark rear. XM is fast, but lacks grip in almost every condition other than a straight line. And like you say they are n good in the Mud or Wet. So I dropped them for HR front and rear and the bike didn't feel any slower. In actual fact I could push harder on sgl track and general trail riding cause of the extra grip. This gave me more confidence in the bike which in return meant I was pushing harder on other sections as well.

But I am willing to trade speed for grip. Not so fussed about out-right speed.

So....I would say for sure HR front. If you brand loyal go with HR rear or try the Monorail at the back. Other good rear tires would be Kenda Small Block 8, WTB Wolverine, Schwalbe Racing Ralph or...hmmm...that's about it.

But all of them will trade allround capability and grip for speed and lighter weight. The WTB the least.

You know...you could even go Weirwolfs front and rear. They are great tires. Had them on two demo bikes as OE and had them on my Mojo for a while. And if you go TCS it wil be lighter than the High Rollers, but with enough grip for what the type of riding you described. When I replaced a set of Nevegals for them I was blown away by their speed and grip. Sections I had to pedal with Nevegals I was free-wheeling! They are not nearly as bad as Monorail and Ignitor on wet roots and rocks.

So in summary, throw a dice between Weirwolf and High Rollers for front and rear combos or HR front, Monorail Rear

Edited by The Crow

Considering this deal:

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=66552

Will arrive in NZ at a price of about R17k. Any opinions, esp on the Lyric fork? Rest of the spec seems pretty good for the price.

One mighty fine fork. I have one on my Mojo HD and love it. Have owned a 36 Talas and a Float and I will take the Lyrik again in a heartbeat. Dropped the RP23 for a Monarch Plus and the suspension is now a lot more balanced. The Monarch is a MONUMENTAL improvement over the RP and Fox's DHX Air.

The AM bike is a reality:

post-1575-0-14030900-1307777052.jpg

Right to far right: Morewood Shova, Specialized Enduro, Mojo HD and Vitamin P Mojo HD

Since I now have 2 Maxxis High Roller USTs that are pretty new, I've been considering converting my rims to tubeless. What do you guys think? As I see it the advantages are less punctures and less weight, the down side being that tyres cost twice as much.

Worth it?

O PS I ran the 2.5 HR up front and the 2.1 Nevegal out back - thanks, much better grip out front, I can't believe how well I could flick this bike around on tight singletrack!

Need to pump the shock more though, I was clipping my pedals A LOT!!

Since I now have 2 Maxxis High Roller USTs that are pretty new, I've been considering converting my rims to tubeless. What do you guys think? As I see it the advantages are less punctures and less weight, the down side being that tyres cost twice as much.

Worth it?

Yup, worth it. No risk of pinch flats, especially when you're doing AM riding.

And not all the tyres are that expensive. I bought a 2.35 Nevegal UST for R340 ( if I remember correctly). Not that bad?