the all mountain bike - myth or reality?

Redline

Guest Omega Man

Hey Cap - to throw a spanner in the works ... where does DH and slopestyle then fit in ... ;) hahahha

so then you have the following

DH - Race = 8 inches of travel

Freeride - split into -

a)BIG Mountain = 8 inch bikes (Modified DH bikes)

b)Slopestyle = 6 inch bikes (specifically designed for this sport - see the GT Distortion)

All Mountain - big travel XC bike = 7 inches of travel generally with a 2 ring and bash guard set up on the cranks (for riding Bike Parks in Europe and using

lifts to get to the top)

Trail - Medium Travel XC bike = 5 to 6 inches of travel - can do most normal XC races but is more fun when pointed downhill

XC - Short travel XC bike or Hardtail - 4 inches of travel - light weight XC race bike.

What about unicycles? Seen plenty at Tokai. hehe.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Fabien barel said it best: DH is the F1 of mountain biking.

I reckon he is completely wrong. I'd say timetrial is the F1 of cycling. The obsession with aerodynamics, weight and power to weight ratio.

Plus. Our tracks are rougher and no downhiller is dating a pussycat doll. hahaha.

Hey Cap - to throw a spanner in the works ... where does DH and slopestyle then fit in ... ;) hahahha

so then you have the following

DH - Race = 8 inches of travel

Freeride - split into -

a)BIG Mountain = 8 inch bikes (Modified DH bikes)

b)Slopestyle = 6 inch bikes (specifically designed for this sport - see the GT Distortion)

All Mountain - big travel XC bike = 7 inches of travel generally with a 2 ring and bash guard set up on the cranks (for riding Bike Parks in Europe and using

lifts to get to the top)

Trail - Medium Travel XC bike = 5 to 6 inches of travel - can do most normal XC races but is more fun when pointed downhill

XC - Short travel XC bike or Hardtail - 4 inches of travel - light weight XC race bike.

Hmmm, not too sure I agree 100%, but generally I do.

In inches I see it as follows:

XC - 3.5 to 4

Trail - 4 to 5

All Mountain - 5.5 to 6.5

Freeride - 6.5 to 7.5

Slopestyle and freeride are in my opinion the same thing - I'm sure many would disagree... ;)

DH - 8 and up

Of course I'm simplifying a bit, but I'm saying that because I don't think a 5.5incher (like my Intense or a Commencal Meta 5.5) really classify as trail bikes. But then again, it's back down to setup. If I put a lot of pressure in the rear and max out at 4.5 inches, and dial the fork to 110mm, my bike feels somewhere between XC and trail. If I open her up to 5.5 and up the fork to 140mm, it's definitely an AM ride. With 150mm on the front, it's even more AM (like my brother's Meta 5.5 with a 150mm Sektor).

Very blurry all of this!

xc (which is rapidly becoming roadie on dirt roads but that is another rant)

hahahahaha good call ..... hahahahahhaha

All mountain unicycles ... thats mad!! - there was one dude from the North Shore in Canada who does all those trails on a Unicycle ... he was in Nwe World Disorder 1 i think .... He was amazing!!!

Ya this is the single pivot version where the headangle and bb height are adjustable via an eccentric pivot design .. (meanign you turn the pivot with an allenkey - as if stirring a cup of tea - and this turns the eccentric pivot or bush or whatever and adjusts the geometry ...

Pats also working on a prototype trail bike that uses similar linkage to the makulu ... that things mad!!!

Not that I recall, that one with the adjustable pivot is a different one. The Sukuma is a linkage driven single pivot with a split pivot at the rear axle. All the plushness of linkage suspension, but single pivot simplicity.

I like the idea of adjustable pivot though - problem for our inner OCD to try get that exact geometry again.... :lol:

hahahahaha good call ..... hahahahahhaha

All mountain unicycles ... thats mad!! - there was one dude from the North Shore in Canada who does all those trails on a Unicycle ... he was in Nwe World Disorder 1 i think .... He was amazing!!!

Chris Holm I think his name is - mad skills

Guest Omega Man

There's a kid that rides at Tokai on a uni. Don't know his name but he does ALL of the stuff on the downhill. Except for the road gap of course. Hahaha.

Ya thats him ... makes Danny Macaskill look like a roadie ... hahahaha

- oh ok i thought that the new eccentric single pivot bike was the one with the split pivot ... either or those bikes are AWESOME!!

Hmmm, not too sure I agree 100%, but generally I do.

In inches I see it as follows:

XC - 3.5 to 4

Trail - 4 to 5

All Mountain - 5.5 to 6.5

Freeride - 6.5 to 7.5

Slopestyle and freeride are in my opinion the same thing - I'm sure many would disagree... ;)

DH - 8 and up

Of course I'm simplifying a bit, but I'm saying that because I don't think a 5.5incher (like my Intense or a Commencal Meta 5.5) really classify as trail bikes. But then again, it's back down to setup. If I put a lot of pressure in the rear and max out at 4.5 inches, and dial the fork to 110mm, my bike feels somewhere between XC and trail. If I open her up to 5.5 and up the fork to 140mm, it's definitely an AM ride. With 150mm on the front, it's even more AM (like my brother's Meta 5.5 with a 150mm Sektor).

Very blurry all of this!

I had a look at Lapierres Website

and this is what i got - AND IT STILL DOENST HELP ... hahahahahha

XC - Control - 100mm (4 inch)

All mountain - Zesty - 140mm (5.5inch)

Spicy - 160mm (6.3inch) - termed Enduro by Lapierre but in their all mountain category

BIG mountain - Froggy - 180mm (7 inch) - termed Freeride by Lapierre but in their Big Mountain Category

Downhill - 200mm (8 inch) - also in their big mountian category

I reckon he is completely wrong. I'd say timetrial is the F1 of cycling. The obsession with aerodynamics, weight and power to weight ratio.

Plus. Our tracks are rougher and no downhiller is dating a pussycat doll. hahaha.

lol @ the doll bit :P Fabien wasn't generalising DH over all of te cycling disciplines, just MTB. Reread my quote dear loverOfPussyCats&Dolls :P

Personally i'd say it should be seperated into

XC - up to 4 inch (inluding hardtails)

Trail - 5 inch

All Mountain - 6 inch

Big Mountain - 7 inch (with a bash guard ring up front)

Downhill - 8 inch (with triple clamp forks)

Freeride and Slopestyle (and Unicycles) are on their own as they utilise the same travel of Dh or All Mountain bikes but are just modified via geometry.

Personally i'd say it should be seperated into

XC - up to 4 inch (inluding hardtails)

Trail - 5 inch

All Mountain - 6 inch

Big Mountain - 7 inch (with a bash guard ring up front)

Downhill - 8 inch (with triple clamp forks)

Freeride and Slopestyle (and Unicycles) are on their own as they utilise the same travel of Dh or All Mountain bikes but are just modified via geometry.

I can live with that. :thumbup:

Kris Holm riding the north shore on a uni:

I ask the diffs because I am building up what Cannondale call an "All Mountain" full suspension bike, based on a used Cannondale Prophet frame sourced here, with 140mm suspension all around. Seems the term "AM" refers to bikes that can handle a bit of a jump, for me it means wicked long downhills like that coming up at the Giants Castle Adventure, also like those we had at Sabie when I am truly in my element. I find my Scalpel a bit tight in these circumstances, it's more flat 'XC' (even that is a dodgy term) and I worry about over flexing that rear carbon chainstay.

Also in the mix is riser bars since they its more comfortable for downhill, a wiked X-Fusion HiLo adjustable seat post. Also in the post is limited edition Hope Tech M4 Brakeset with big rotor upfront.