assos vs cape storm

mokganjetsi

This shouldnt even be a question. Assos is 1st class and CS is like the luggage compartment.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had assos, but i'm guessing i will have the same problem i have with most european makes.... i'm 5'9" and weight 76kg, so usually a medium or even large bibs should be right for me, but im too big in the thighs for even large in most bibs are too tight. Who knows of a make that caters for this???? generally, if bibs fit my legs, they are too big everywhere else?

I'm 6'1" / 78 kg's with big legs and skinny everywhere else(except when my long range tank is installed) and wear a XL Assos Mille and find the fit to be good.

Assos cost is an issue, local price here in Switz is Chf 269 = R2040.00

As the others have suggested finding the right saddle is more important. I've done triathlon long distance races (120Km cycle) wearing a TYR costume (speedo with a very small piece of chamois) and its been comfortable.

Sometimes less is more better?

I think there is relation to those swearing by Assos and riding hoity-toity, lardy-dardy, arty-farty, stiff upper lip fancy lightweight saddles.

I think there is relation to those swearing by Assos and riding hoity-toity, lardy-dardy, arty-farty, stiff upper lip fancy lightweight saddles.

And then you dont get a "Thin Blue Line" on your butt :clap:

First get a good saddle that fits your ass. No pair of shorts will make an ill fitting saddle comfortable.

When I started cycling long, long, long ago someone told me that there are only 2 things that keep you on your bike. Your saddle and your cycling pants. Everything else can be crappy, but those two need to be quality.

And........ Turns out to be true.

(Could make a nice thread..... Tings you heard when you started cycling which turned out to be true... Or NOT)

just spent R2200 on my 1st pair of assos milles - ouch! and yay! (and make sure you give the guys at CWC a call - some nice deals going e.g.free assos shirt worth R1500 with the F13s).

i'm 6'2 and weight 92kg - the XLs were too tight on the upper legs and crown jewels; XXL perfect but slightly long. seems like the fit is one-size-up on the likes of cape storm and first ascent.

i know zilch about saddles but guess the fizik gobi my cube came dressed with is good quality (like the rest of the bike).

looooong rides ahead :D

Has anyone tried the CWC Online bib shorts? The price is far lower than the Assos but im not sure how they compare quality wise?

Just did the 400 km Audax with my new Anatomic (new orange chamois). Just over 16 hrs in saddle. Together with Milko Balm and my Gobi saddle, no issues experienced.

Yes, my ass was sore at the end, but no chafing!! Not even a bit!!

• 1 month later...

I've been riding with an Anatomic bib, but after a 4 hour ride I'm usually raw. 6'4" 85kg, think my seat setup may be problematic as well. Is there any specific brand of chamois cream that's affordable (big tub)?

I've been riding with an Anatomic bib, but after a 4 hour ride I'm usually raw. 6'4" 85kg, think my seat setup may be problematic as well. Is there any specific brand of chamois cream that's affordable (big tub)?

Stp1, change your bib and have a proper set-up done, I am same weight and height and regularly do a 6-7 hour ride with no problem and no cream.

Get a seat that works with your butt. Not even R4000 shorts will make up for an ill fitting seat.

Get a seat that works with your butt. Not even R4000 shorts will make up for an ill fitting seat.

Get a proper bike setup and train more. That usually helps too.