Nah, Not So Sure...

'Dale

Whatcha think?

Can a helmet's design offer such benefit?

The bicycle industry's recent focus on aerodynamic performance has now hit the road helmet market with the introduction of Specialized's latest Prevail lid.

According to company claims, a Prevail-equipped rider with a consistent 250W output will be 250 metres ahead of an equivalent rider wearing a Giro Ionos after an hour.

http://cdn1.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/02/22/1/specialized_prevail_full_view_220.jpg

That's not much, like 0.25km/h faster. I am sure that the rider without the fancy helmet will be adjusting his output to 251W and be 10m in front after an hour.

Next they'll be telling us wearing lycra shoe covers will make a 50m difference than not wearing them.

Come on we cycle because we like to, not because having long hair under a helmet with 25 vents will make you slower than shaving your head under the same lid.

My 2c.

I still have 10kg to much around my waist. Before buying a bike of 50k because it is 100g lighter than my current bike, or a helmet because it gives me 250m in an hour......

Rather lose the weight.

I don’t know?

Priorities......

My 2c.

I still have 10kg to much around my waist. Before buying a bike of 50k because it is 100g lighter than my current bike, or a helmet because it gives me 250m in an hour......

Rather lose the weight.

I don’t know?

Priorities......

+1 :thumbup:

Airbender, as you already know, I am looking for a Prevail, but they are not yet available in SA. I was not aware of the aero benefits, wanted it more for looks, but thanx for further motivation.:lol:

Airbender, as you already know, I am looking for a Prevail, but they are not yet available in SA. I was not aware of the aero benefits, wanted it more for looks, but thanx for further motivation.:lol:

Marginal gains toward CAT 2... anything helps! :P

To answer your first question. I think its very likely that their claims are true to a certain extent. Maybe 250m under perfect conditions, but none the less. It probably does have some effect.

Weather or not its worth it ???

There are two ways of looking at it.

1) Any single component/gear change that costs extra money will usually give you a relatively small performance difference. i.e From your Sora to your Dura Ace were talking only 0.5 kg lighter. This after spending 15k more and having a big breakfast before riding tends to leave you back where you started in terms of weight. The net effect when looking at any single component/gear change is thus usually negligible and you will hardly notice it.

2) Following on from (1). If you now go and upgrade a hole lot of components/gear. Lets say Alu to Carbon frame = 1kg, Lighter wheels = 0.5 kg, Top groupo = 0.5 kg, fancy new Prevail helmet = ? kg, etc, etc you could find your self with a bike that may weigh 3 or even 4 kg lighter and no more money to eat a big breakfast before the ride. So the net effect now is much more substantial and you will notice it, but so will you bank manager.

So, my thoughts is one sentence. Like we used to say at Tukkies. "Gaan groot of gaan huis toe !!!"

My 2c.

Rather lose the weight.

I don’t know?

Priorities......

That what I also said...but there was this one carbon frame....Eish :drool:

Next they'll be telling us wearing lycra shoe covers will make a 50m difference than not wearing them.

Come on we cycle because we like to, not because having long hair under a helmet with 25 vents will make you slower than shaving your head under the same lid.

No self respecting cyclist has long hair, for obvoius reasons. This is reserved for Bulls players who wear it short on da sides and long on da back.