Road Hogs

Motorist

So roadies wonder why they're hated?

Tensions between (road) cyclists and motorists are not improving, and the negative effects are felt by all of us. I've tried to be accommodating and respectful of both sides (roadie and motorist) over the years, but it's quite honestly getting ridiculous. It makes motorists presume I'm a chop just for riding a bike. Not cool.

So here we go: I have decided to flip to a zero tolerance attitude. If you're a roadie, I will ride up next to you on my MTB and 1) tell you you're a @#$ing idiot 2) possibly try to smack you on the back of your helmet 3) push you off the road, if:

1) You jump a red light. I don't care if there's no traffic, you wait.

2) You jump a stop street. Once again I don't care if there's no traffic, you stop.

3) You don't ride single-file. I don't care how much of a TDF wannabe you are, and how much your PowerTap tells you you're scoring by slipstreaming. You don't hold up traffic.

Stop being monkeys.

You go, boyo!!!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So roadies wonder why they're hated?

Tensions between (road) cyclists and motorists are not improving, and the negative effects are felt by all of us. I've tried to be accommodating and respectful of both sides (roadie and motorist) over the years, but it's quite honestly getting ridiculous. It makes motorists presume I'm a chop just for riding a bike. Not cool.

So here we go: I have decided to flip to a zero tolerance attitude. If you're a roadie, I will ride up next to you on my MTB and 1) tell you you're a @#$ing idiot 2) possibly try to smack you on the back of your helmet 3) push you off the road, if:

1) You jump a red light. I don't care if there's no traffic, you wait.

2) You jump a stop street. Once again I don't care if there's no traffic, you stop.

3) You don't ride single-file. I don't care how much of a TDF wannabe you are, and how much your PowerTap tells you you're scoring by slipstreaming. You don't hold up traffic.

Stop being monkeys.

What, no threats against roadies not greeting :o

no harm done thanks deloco, i am putting these pics up to show people what we have to put up with every day and the usual response is (what is the rush just wait a little bit or just go around them)that is all fine if it was only one group but in a 10km drive from my house to the shops i have to wait or go around 5-10 groups .

@ Martin Hatting

I agree with a no tolerance attitude and I tried roughly what you suggest. In a rather polite way, sometimes from my bike, sometimes from my car, I tried to tell fellow cyclists that they are doing wrong. The result was that I got cursed and shouted at so badly that it started to hurt more than sticks and stones would have. After that I went through a brief period when I had visions of collecting roadies and roadbikes on my Landrover bullbar, but that thankfully passed before I really cracked and did it. Now I leave the stupid idiots to kill themselves and piss off motorists as much as they want to. I ride on the mountain 99% of the time and only ride road far away from the city, out in the platteland the attitudes seem much healthier.

no harm done thanks deloco, i am putting these pics up to show people what we have to put up with every day and the usual response is (what is the rush just wait a little bit or just go around them)that is all fine if it was only one group but in a 10km drive from my house to the shops i have to wait or go around 5-10 groups .

Yah...not too sure what the solution is. Martin Hatting has some that sounds like fun :thumbup:

I am thinking that if there is a way to identify culprits then you could look at bans from races, club rides, whatever. :angry:

hotdamn MH: when u lose ya marbles it's pretty epic stuff :lol: rock on dude!

I'm waiting for the I'veGotTheRightToDoWTFIwantGroup to make a showing. i know that had quite a field day in another thread a few weeks back, about they dont want to be told what to do, and that riding without helmets is their own choice, and if they wanna ride on the road instead of the dedicated cycling lane it's their choice etc etc ad nauseum.

but i do hope one of them tells me why they have to ride in that road_choking grouping..

Daloco: wrt to what u said about bans, it would be most interesting to hear from a senior club official what's their take on chastising club members for not adhering to the rules of the road.

I also give idiots like these a strong blast from my hooter when I pass them. Luckily we don't encounter it that often here in my neck of the woods. I believe it is a bit of a problem around the Peninsula, but seems like or "Slaapstad'ers" are a bit more mellow or just used to it.

NOT AYOBA CLUB 100, HOPE YOU GUYS ADDRESS THE ATTITUDE OF YOUR MEMBERS. Looking at the number of riders in that group, looks like it could have been a club ride.

Motorist, sometimes it is not safe to ride in the cycle / yellow lane due to gravel, potholes and pieces of broken glass lying in it. Rather than looking like a drunken moron, weaving around, some cyclist just ride outside of the lane. Motorists travel so much faster, they don't see these "hazards" or understand the implications of these to cyclists. For a car it is of no consequence but for a cyclist it can lead to a lot of trouble/hassles or even expense.

I do not condone guys riding all over the road, but sometimes it is unavoidable, but the cyclist should be more considerate.

Edited by Wannabe

Heres a picture to stress/prove my point, there are 3 groups and none of them are in the cycle lane.

3 abreast not cool. but by law cyclists are not allowed inside the yellow lane, checked the road traffic act.

First pictures, definitely inconsiderate cyclists. Second picture, no problem, they are riding on the left of the road and not blocking the whole thing. Simply move slightly over and pass them, especially on a long open stretch.

Motorist give Angie club100 a call with all the particulars,road,time etc. She will give you her email address and you can forward the photo's to her. She will take action. Club100 in East London does not tolerate riding 2 or 3 abreast. It's guys like this that mess it up for all of us.

Regards

Why don't you take pictures of cyclists on their cellphones......or fiddling with their ipods.....

or scratching their.......

Yea cyclist do stupid things I agree and some should be shot but when was the last time a bicycle crashed into someone killing them becasue they were on there cellphone?

It seems to me that cyclist are not allowed to do anything wrong but motorists are blameless.