Road Hogs

Motorist

3 abreast not cool. but by law cyclists are not allowed inside the yellow lane, checked the road traffic act.

Thanks Steve, Motorist needs to realise that the 'cycle lane' actually is not that at all and cyclists have every right to be in the road. Instead, you should brush up on your driving skills and not expect everything that's not a car to give way to you, your majesty. Cyclists keep left out of consideration. These guys were not doing so and yes, this was inconsiderate. However, if this was a big yellow and blue vehicle, I'm sure you would have just passed and not had anything to say about it. These guys could have been more considerate BUT a basic driving skill, regardless of the vehicle you're driving/riding, should be to access a situation, think about possible outcomes and then continue your journey - not jump on your high horse to point others' mistakes at every opportunity. Motorists need to shape up and realise that the road is there to be shared.

@ St Martin, not everything's so black and white. Each situation and is unique, can't paint everything with the right and wrong brush. Would you rather be cripple having done the right thing and stopped at a red light or be able to say 'wow had I not jumped that light or stop sign, I would have surely been hit from behind by that motorist who ran it too!'

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been riding for 3 years but before I started I always gave cyclists space or waited till I could get passed. Doesn't kill me to wait 3 or 5 minutes. Reckon the name of the game is patience and tolerance from both sides.

I've only been riding for 3 years but before I started I always gave cyclists space or waited till I could get passed. Doesn't kill me to wait 3 or 5 minutes. Reckon the name of the game is patience and tolerance from both sides.

Couldn't agree with you more http://tinyurl.com/WithYouOnThat :clap:

Guest Crankit01

I also give idiots like these a strong blast from my hooter when I pass them. Luckily we don't encounter it that often here in my neck of the woods. I believe it is a bit of a problem around the Peninsula, but seems like or "Slaapstad'ers" are a bit more mellow or just used to it.

NOT AYOBA CLUB 100, HOPE YOU GUYS ADDRESS THE ATTITUDE OF YOUR MEMBERS. Looking at the number of riders in that group, looks like it could have been a club ride.

You know you can get a super loud foghorn from Midas cheap-cheap ;)

You know you can get a super loud foghorn from Midas cheap-cheap ;)

VW Polo has got a loud enough hooter, as it is. :D

I have a bicycle for about 6 months or so, and in that time did a few long rides in a group. I decided never again, solely based on the way these guys ride - inconsiderate fools, and I hated much of it. I'm now considering selling the road bike for an mtb. Bottom line is that in an accident the big chunk of metal is going to win over the small piece of carbon fibre every single time so why cyclist expect motorists to go out of their way to guarantee cyclists' safety is beyond me. Why not go out of our way to keep ourselves safe?

Heres a picture to stress/prove my point, there are 3 groups and none of them are in the cycle lane.

Sorry,where's the 'cycle lane'?

I vote for stevie69!

to all the guys who are saying were is the cycle lane and cyclists are not by law allowed to ride in the yellow lane . how stupid are you or do you just mention the laws that suit you . what is the most basic of all rules when on a bicycle hell even my 2 year old knows this one ..RIDE IN SINGLE FILE if you could get that one simple rule in your head there would be no problems

Please take the photos on a better camera and from the front so that we can see who the riders are.

Then they can get crapped out but these photos don't help much.

Thanks

to all the guys who are saying were is the cycle lane and cyclists are not by law allowed to ride in the yellow lane . how stupid are you or do you just mention the laws that suit you . what is the most basic of all rules when on a bicycle hell even my 2 year old knows this one ..RIDE IN SINGLE FILE if you could get that one simple rule in your head there would be no problems

Doesn't look like there was a problem in any of the pictures. Assume its not too busy a road as there are never any motorised vehicles in sight - just pedal powered vehicles. Like the others have said, there is no cycle lane and riding in the yellow line is both illegal and dangerous. Secondly, there is a general rule that requires all vehicles ride single file, except bicycles that may ride two abreast when overtaking another bicycle. You, in your car, are required to change lanes to overtake any cyclists even when they are single file. Those are the rules - dumbass.

With all due respect, they are as correct as you are by insisting cyclists obey the law by riding in single file. Name calling really isn't helping.

Again, it's not a cyclist thing, it's a general attitude problem on the roads from everyone. Some of us can speak from both points of view.

Guaranteed, if you spent as much time focussing on the laws motorists break in relation, it would be as bad if not worse.

People need to look to their own habits and attitude before pointing fingers, saying that in general, not yourself perse.

Although given the tone of attitude and aggression in your posts, I'd be very wary cycling in anything other than a large group with a driver like yourself nearby.

Doesn't look like there was a problem in any of the pictures. Assume its not too busy a road as there are never any motorised vehicles in sight - just pedal powered vehicles. Like the others have said, there is no cycle lane and riding in the yellow line is both illegal and dangerous. Secondly, there is a general rule that requires all vehicles ride single file, except bicycles that may ride two abreast when overtaking another bicycle. You, in your car, are required to change lanes to overtake any cyclists even when they are single file. Those are the rules - dumbass.

:blink:

And you are somehow still a moderator?

Guest Crankit01

I have a bicycle for about 6 months or so, and in that time did a few long rides in a group. I decided never again, solely based on the way these guys ride - inconsiderate fools, and I hated much of it. I'm now considering selling the road bike for an mtb. Bottom line is that in an accident the big chunk of metal is going to win over the small piece of carbon fibre every single time so why cyclist expect motorists to go out of their way to guarantee cyclists' safety is beyond me. Why not go out of our way to keep ourselves safe?

Well put, hope you're not falling on deaf ears :thumbup:

Guest Crankit01

I vote for stevie69!

Agreed, although there are plenty of arrogant drivers on the road who are not like-minded so better to act predictable, make yourself visible and play it safe toward drivers :)