Industry News

Factor Bikes Appoint Switchback Sports as Exclusive Distributors

Press release - Switchback Sports

· By Press Office · 14 comments

Switchback Sports adds premium brands Factor Bikes and Black Inc components to their portfolio.

Founded in 2017, Switchback Sports distributes a range of premium cycling products to over 200 South African bicycle stores. From April 2022, the Cape Town based outfit will add Factor Bikes to their portfolio. The prestigious British bicycle brand joins a stable of products which include the Swedish outdoor brand, POC, Easton components and wheels, Rondo bikes, Panaracer tyres, Wheels Manufacturing hangers and bottom brackets, and Geosmina bikepacking bags. 

Founded in Great Britain in 2007, Factor Bikes began as a leading design and engineering firm and offshoot of bf1systems: working for cutting-edge brands like Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Maserati and other F1, Moto GP, and WRC teams. 

image.jpegThe OSTRO VAM is an all-round quiver killer. Searingly fast, incredibly light, supremely comfortable. Image by Factor Bikes.

Their first carbon bike, the FACTOR001 was launched in 2009 was ground-breaking in terms of performance, technology, and aesthetics: setting the precedent and DNA for all future Factor Bikes. 

Today Factor Bikes owns and operates its own carbon production facility and is the only premium bike brand in the world overseeing and controlling every step of carbon bike production, from concept to final assembly. 

image.jpeg

Factor bikes can be seen proving their pedigree at the highest-level of racing, piloted by Chris Froome and the UCI World Tour professional cycling team Israel–Premier Tech and the UCI women’s continental professional cycling team, Parkhotel Valkenburg.

Best known for their cutting-edge road bikes, Factor have recently made a move into the realm of mountain-biking with the launch of the Lando XC and ultra-light Lando hardtail.

The Lando XC is a progressive dual-suspension cross country bike, sporting 115mm rear travel paired with a 120mm fork. This hits the sweet spot for many South African riders dabbling in marathon stage races, who also want to get the most out of weekend rides on their local trails. 

image.jpegFast and fun. The LANDO XC elbows its way to the front of the start line with a race-oriented geometry and suspension working together. Image by Factor Bikes.

“We’re excited to be able to bring a premium brand like Factor to South African customers. We aim to be able to showcase the full Factor Bikes product range and meet market demand. We believe in supplying the best quality cycling products to our customers, and Factor is an incredible addition to our portfolio” said Charles Keey, founder of Switchback Sports.

“The fact that they own their factories and control every step of the R&D and manufacturing process mean that they can innovate quickly and produce truly outstanding bicycles with unmatched build quality. For me, the Ostro VAM is a quiver-killer and I can’t wait to lay hands on mine”

image.jpegFactor bikes can be seen proving their pedigree at the highest-level of racing, piloted by Chris Froome and the UCI World Tour professional cycling team Israel–Premier Tech.

In addition to Factor Bikes, Switchback Sports will be bringing in Black Inc wheels and components including the popular Black Inc Integrated Barstem.

Like Factor Bikes, Black Inc wheels and components are produced and tested in-house, allowing for rapid iterations and total control of the manufacturing and quality control process. Thanks to this approach the Black Inc product line only has one level: the highest, making them the first choice for discerning riders.

Switchback Sports will initially be bringing a range of Factor Bikes framesets and Black Inc wheels to market, allowing customers the flexibility of a custom build to create their dream bike.

While availability of stock has been limited by the supply chain crisis currently affecting most of the cycling industry, framesets and Black Inc wheels will be available in South Africa from June 2022.

To view the range of Factor Bikes bicycles and framesets, as well as Black Inc wheels and components sold by Switchback Sports please visit www.switchbacksports.co.za.

Related posts

Comments

Steady Spin

Apr 21, 2022, 11:37 AM

Interesting to see so many brands from Pure Motion move to Switchback....

First POC and now these. 

Shebeen

Apr 21, 2022, 12:18 PM

Factor bikes can be seen proving their pedigree at the highest-level of racing, piloted by Chris Froome 

As much as I want to support Froomedawg, this line doesn't say much about their bikes - He is currently not in the top 500 rider rank. Since joining the team and switching from Pinarello his best result is something subjectively obscure like coming in the bottom10 of the TdF GC. 

I even drew up a crappy infographic to prove my point

image.png.4d8d7786ab45a596a2a9b1707014ec20.png

I'm sure the bikes are great. Maybe rusty woods, fuglsang or nizzolo can do something handy with them to prove it. 

Jbr

Apr 21, 2022, 6:57 PM

The bikes are probably as good as any other for most of us, but the price tag… ouch… and I’m talking european prices, before all the extra costs to get it here

Sid the Sloth

Apr 21, 2022, 7:48 PM

50 minutes ago, Jbr said:

the price tag… ouch…

FACTOR: When money isn't one

J Wakefield

Apr 22, 2022, 5:05 AM

16 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Factor bikes can be seen proving their pedigree at the highest-level of racing, piloted by Chris Froome 

As much as I want to support Froomedawg, this line doesn't say much about their bikes - He is currently not in the top 500 rider rank. Since joining the team and switching from Pinarello his best result is something subjectively obscure like coming in the bottom10 of the TdF GC. 

I'm sure the bikes are great. Maybe rusty woods, fuglsang or nizzolo can do something handy with them to prove it. 

You judge a bike capability by this? 

Nick

Apr 22, 2022, 5:50 AM

17 hours ago, Shebeen said:

A more interesting fact about Froome, in this context, is that he's an investor in Factor Bikes. He's on the board.

Edge_Design

Apr 22, 2022, 7:51 AM

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Isn't that the whole point of marketing?

Eldron

Apr 22, 2022, 7:55 AM

DIPSLICK

Apr 22, 2022, 8:33 AM

that lando XC, mmmmm how do I put this gently,,, Fugly ASF

Hilton.

Apr 22, 2022, 9:01 AM

26 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

that lando XC, mmmmm how do I put this gently,,, Fugly ASF

You think so? I think they look pretty serious. Maybe it's the blunt Blue and White colourway that isn't showing it in the best light.
Let's try some green..112221_Factor_1871_Lando_XC_Green_xxDriv

Eldron

Apr 22, 2022, 9:07 AM

4 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

You think so? I think they look pretty serious. Maybe it's the blunt Blue and White colourway that isn't showing it in the best light.

It's like someone wanted a Giant and a  Spesh but couldn't decide so they put both into 1 bike. Ungainly is the kindest thing I can say about it 

Shebeen

Apr 22, 2022, 9:09 AM

3 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

No, I judge bikes on how cool they look like everyone else!!

BUT, the "win on Sunday sell on Monday" mantra will always be there, I think locally the rise of Spez must surely go down in a not insignificant part to their riders doing extremely well at the Cape epic over the years. Scott were also nowhere until Nino came onto the scene (and probike swapped there from rally). 

The point I was making is that using Chris Froome's performance on a Factor bike is a not a good angle. Obviously it's not the reason why he is struggling, but you can't look past it.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

A more interesting fact about Froome, in this context, is that he's an investor in Factor Bikes. He's on the board.

I was totally aware of that, hence why it would make more sense to say something like - 4time TdF winner believes in the produyct so much he's put his hat into the ring to fund it and take further.

DIPSLICK

Apr 22, 2022, 9:40 AM

37 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

THAT DOES LOOK BETTER but that top support, top tube to seat post looks a bit like an after thought, no smooooth, 

DieselnDust

Apr 26, 2022, 11:27 AM

On 4/21/2022 at 1:37 PM, Steady Spin said:

Interesting to see so many brands from Pure Motion move to Switchback....

First POC and now these. 

I think it has to do with minimum stock holding and how you want to manage cash flow. Bikes only deliver returns in year 3 so while sales are slow in SA on high end bikes outside of 4 big brands , there is also availability concerns , warranty replacement availability etc. too much risk. POC isn’t very big in SA either. Rather consolidate on a smaller line of faster moving goods 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment