bike rack ratchet straps

Chain-L

I have a bike rack that takes two standing bikes, but the rack does not have ratchet straps fitted to the wheel trays. I use tie down straps at the moment but want to get those ratchet straps that is attached to the Thule racks.

I can only find these 2 on the net, but is looks like they need to be attached to a specific rack. My rack does not have slot for the strap to fit in, so I need a normal ratchet strap with no fitting to attach it to the rack. Any idea where I can get something that will work. Tie down straps take to long, and they come loose after a while.

Thule

Yakima

Edited by Chain-L

What about just old school toe straps.

http://www.bikeisland.com/images/TS1110.jpg

Edited by Mampara

Or you can just use velcro!Workes the best in my mind

Just go to a sewing shop and buy some velcro and ask the missus to sew them together... works like magic and is quick and easy to use

Guest Big H

Be carefull of ratchet straps. These straps exert a lot of pressure and and bend or collapse frames or rims. I have seen somebody righting a 4x4 lying on its side with the heavy duty straps before.

Listen to the advice above. You can also use rubber bungees with hooks on them.

i found some re-usable cableties at an outdoorshop - could have been outdoor warehoushe, not sure. they come in all sizes, i bought a few and they're excellent from holding the light in position over rough singletrack, to holding the bike on the rack, the map board on the handlebars, the battery on my helmet and once to hold the cat-i's sensor in place. wont scratch the frame. they from a soft plastic, and it works the same as some bike-racks have to fasten the bikes, just a lot smaller.

i have a set of velcro ties as well (from a DIY shop) but they mud sticks to them. i guess it sticks to the reusable cable ties too, but they're easier to clean ... or ... i actaully dont knwo why they are cleaner than the velcro.

What about just old school toe straps.

http://www.bikeisland.com/images/TS1110.jpg

Can you still buy those? I have seen that suggested before somewhere. Bloody good idea! :thumbup:

thule sells these cables, they look almost like the toe-straps, just with a little pieace of facrib behind the clip so that the metal wont scratch. there's a thule-shop in woodmead at the value mart (between the woolworths complex and the makro)

Edited by cat-i

Thanks mampara, but those are the ones i am uisng. Dont trust them on their own. Will look for those reusable cable tie jobs. Seems like exactly what i need.

Lekke trap die naweek manne!