The advantages of a thuaxle over QR??

Palaeodom

Guest Big H

What you have never seen a REAL bike before ?

That head tube looks like a 90mm mortar tube!!!!!!!!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That head tube looks like a 90mm mortar tube!!!!!!!!

probably is, knowing the boys from maritzbarra...morewood rocks :thumbup:

What you have never seen a REAL bike before ?

amen brotha!

I love my Izimu... and yes... having TA front and back means I have to carry tools to get the wheels off in the event of a pun-cha... but it's totally worth it!

2 more hours and I'm taking her out for some fun :D

Edited by patches

I need some advice on the thuaxle my GT Sensor 3 is fitted with the thuaxle but the front wheel feels like its got to much play I took my bike to the local bike shop and they said there is nothing they can do,I went for ride at rietvlei on Sunday and every time i went in a corner the front brakes made a noise.

1.Yes it's big but for everyday riding 80 % of the riders do, it's negligible.

2.Not a "regressionist" at all, just too dumb to understand technology.

Which bike, the Fisher ?

You took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks for saying this.

Every bit helps. The diffs between QR & 20mm Thru axels can easily be felt. Do a rocky descent and feel how the front feels. Do the same with the 20mm. If you cant feel the difference then you are riding like a baby, or walking.

Your 80% comment is toss as well. Then you might as well not use tubeless tires, or the latest rubber compounds, or carbon fibre frames, or any of the other advancements we've made over the years.

Edited by big baby

I need some advice on the thuaxle my GT Sensor 3 is fitted with the thuaxle but the front wheel feels like its got to much play I took my bike to the local bike shop and they said there is nothing they can do,I went for ride at rietvlei on Sunday and every time i went in a corner the front brakes made a noise.

What fork is on your GT? More specifically, what does the thru axle look like?

I had a similar problem with a Rock Shox Boxxer I bought. I found that the wheel gave a slight amount of play and the rotors would vibrate in the calipers.

I then looked at my old Boxxer (which was totallyed but I kept for spares) and I noticed that its axle was about 3mm shorter. I put the shorter one in the newer fork and that extra 3mm of clamping eliminated the play completely.

The other reason for going 15mm through axle is to get some stiffness back into the new long travel trail forks without the weight penalty of 20mm through axle systems.

I have owned 130mm QR forks, 120mm and 150mm 15TA forks, and 20mm TA forks in single and dual crown.

There is a massive difference in stiffness and steering feel between QR and 20mm TA, with the 15TA sitting somewhere between.

Beside that, a new standard will generate new sales - just ask the 29er boys and girls. :)

Every bit helps. The diffs between QR & 20mm Thru axels can easily be felt. Do a rocky descent and feel how the front feels. Do the same with the 20mm. If you cant feel the difference then you are riding like a baby, or walking.

Your 80% comment is toss as well. Then you might as well not use tubeless tires, or the latest rubber compounds, or carbon fibre frames, or any of the other advancements we've made over the years.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another funrider who claims he can feel the difference.

If you think I ride like a baby or walk, why don't you do yourself a simple favor, come and ride with me.

As for my knowledge on bikes and technology around them, you might be surprised.

Here is a comment from my side to make this pissing contest even better.

I have owned and ridden more bikes than you have short and curly's on your nutsack.

If you think I ride like a baby or walk, why don't you do yourself a simple favor, come and ride with me.

As for my knowledge on bikes and technology around them, you might be surprised.

I have owned and ridden more bikes than you have short and curly's on your nutsack.

The fact is that you can't feel the difference. Maybe you are not pushing your bike far enough then?

Just because you've owned a lot of bikes doesnt mean you know how to ride them properly, or hard. It means you've owned a lot of bikes. Sure thing though. I'd love to come and ride with the KKK riders club some time. My choice of trail though.

I'd say that the majority of mtbkers (80% ?) wont feel the difference between QR vs Thru axle neither will they be able to tell the difference between 1980 rubber and 2011 rubber or between an alu frame and a carbon frame.

That does not mean that the new stuff does not do what you say it does but just that you over estimate the average persons ability to understand what his bike is feeling.

I get the feeling that big baby is not in fact a man. Perhaps that nutsack comment needs a rethink...

I have a QR on my steel single speed with rigid steel fork and a 15mm thru axle on my custom Giant XTC1... So am I not a top rider anymore? This is all so confusing...

"I'd say that the majority of mtbkers (80% ?) wont feel the difference between QR vs Thru axle neither will they be able to tell the difference between 1980 rubber and 2011 rubber or between an alu frame and a carbon frame."

I assert that 80% of MTB'ers will agree with that statement and believe themselves to be in the top 20%. :D

The fact is that you can't feel the difference. Maybe you are not pushing your bike far enough then?

Just because you've owned a lot of bikes doesnt mean you know how to ride them properly, or hard. It means you've owned a lot of bikes. Sure thing though. I'd love to come and ride with the KKK riders club some time. My choice of trail though.

I have dibs on front row seats! big baby, I will think twice when taking on Dangle with his knowledge and experience with regard to bicycles. Go ride with him, my money is on Dangle to make a cry baby out of you. Snotty comments will get you nowhere, proof is in the pudding?

I'd say that the majority of mtbkers (80% ?) wont feel the difference between QR vs Thru axle neither will they be able to tell the difference between 1980 rubber and 2011 rubber or between an alu frame and a carbon frame.

That does not mean that the new stuff does not do what you say it does but just that you over estimate the average persons ability to understand what his bike is feeling.

Hear hear.

Everyone's bike is a trade off of price/weight/availability/deal/brand loyalty/strength/use and anything else that enters the fray.

My statement is this though - anyone who spends money to upgrade from QR to thru axle on a XC bike for performance reasons needs their head read...there are far better things to spend your money on that will yield a superior gain to money ratio.

I have dibs on front row seats! big baby, I will think twice when taking on Dangle with his knowledge and experience with regard to bicycles. Go ride with him, my money is on Dangle to make a cry baby out of you. Snotty comments will get you nowhere, proof is in the pudding?

Can I join the race? I do enjoy a good "my winky is bigger than yours" ego pounding.

The last one was against some dude who said he woould kick my ass up the hills....now who was that again?? Hmmmmm...

Can I join the race? I do enjoy a good "my winky is bigger than yours" ego pounding.

The last one was against some dude who said he woould kick my ass up the hills....now who was that again?? Hmmmmm...

Jeez, if you join in it'll be money well spent. There will be two riders kicking dust into cry babies eyes! Unfortunately I can't join as I'm still growing a pair and it could be too hot for my liking.