Spinning ?

...Not trying to be funny but always sit in front of the class because people fart. sad.gif. Yes, even the pretty girls.

i also do a lot of spinning, at least 2 2hour sessions per week. some time I have to do my own thing especially before big races.

not pointing any fingers. just remember to move to the back of the class when you do your own thing.

Ive got them to put 4 spinning bikes on the floor at my gym. So I dont have to always be in the class.

...Not trying to be funny but always sit in front of the class because people fart. sad.gif. Yes, even the pretty girls.

That's desturbing dry.gif :unsure: . That is so wrong in so many ways man !:lol: I 'm not speeking spining to you ever again !!!:P

Weekdays I leave very early for work so early morning rides are out and in the afternoon its just to dangerous on the roads so I do a 45 min spin class Tues & Thurs and Wed 1 hour on my indoor trainer, weekends is the time i get mtb and road rides in.

Spinning works ok if you want to maintain some of your cardio fitness but for building cardio I find running(hate doing it though) in the week(30km in total...1 tempo,1 interval, 1 hills) and long rides(TITS)on the weekend combination to work very well :thumbup:

Must be the diet or fat burning pills...

what i meant was - when im fit on the road a spinning class seems easy and I do well compared to when im not that roadbike fit.

That should answer your question!!

I personaly enjoy spinning and do it monday to friday.Most times i dont find the time to hit the road in the evenings after work, so instead of not training at all , at least i get to spin.

I found that it has helped me get stronger as an all rounder cyclist , that is faster on the flats and stronger on the hills.

It is easier to spin in gym having in instructor guide you than doing it on your own at home. I downloaded some workout videos that helped me more than any instructor i have come across in gym , so much so that i only go to gym to do some pool work.

I use to have a giant IDT but sold it and got a normal stationary trainer with a 20kg wheel.

I added the links to the work out videos here https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/96952-spinning-and-running/

When i started training I couldn't ride long on weekends and doing base building during the week is tough because of traffic and time etc. I used to take my iphone with a kindle book on it and sit on a free spinning bike at the gym for 2-3hr. I used a hrm strap which i think is essential if you're not in a class and the spinning bikes at my gym have the screen which displayes heart rate and cadence so you can maintain a perfect base heart rate and also do pedal drills. I found this to be hugely benefitial and although I have a tacx, i often prefer the gym just cause there are people around and the whole thing doesn't seem so tedious.

We spin 3 times a week during the week and at times, when time is an issue over the weekends as well, do the 90 minute spinning classes on Saturday mornings. However, as a rule we are on our bikes over the weekends. My view has always been that spinning gives you great "bang for your buck" in terms of the workout you get taking into account the time spent on the bike.

I've found that it really helps, especially with climbing out of the saddle. The downside is that I've gotten so used to getting out of the saddle when climbing that I'm struggling to stay in the saddle when I hit the uphills. On an mtb this isn't always the best thing.

But, like was mentioned before, the onus is on you. You need to push yourself. If you don't feel like you're going to die after the spinning class you're doing something wrong...

Spinning helps big time if you do it right. Keep your resistance above 4.5 - 5, no matter what the instructor says and focus on tempo and form.

Can also do one leg at a time intervals to train power and correct pedal stroke.

I think in some aspects its harder than riding the bike because you can't free wheel, its constant resistance.

I have known a few people that only do spinning during the week and are placing high up in races.....

my 2 cents...

Edited by rattlesnake

I spin twice a week at Virgin La Lucia and I must say that it has really improved my fitness but not my riding. You cannot improve your technical skills or bike craft on a stationary piece of gym equipment. Dont fool yourself.

It has aided in my recovery after a tough hill or after long fast flat section.

It gets my vote as a dedicated training tool. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

I'm a fairly unfit MTB'er, and recently decided to join a spin class twice a week. After each class I feel like I worked my ass off! I'm convinced that it is a good exercise for those who are some what unfit. But only as a supplemental workout - not to replace time in saddle.

Maybe if you're already fit the advantages may be lacking, but at the moment I really feel like I'm working hard