Can we clear something up here?

TNT1

Now, the law has agreed to 'turn a blind eye' to us cyclists to use the yellow lane

It's not illegal for cyclists to ride in the yellow line. That section of the law only says it is illegal for motor vehicles to drive there. We (certain allegations levelled at Fabian Cancellara aside) lack motors.

Motor vehicles are also allowed in the yellow line under certain conditions to allow other vehicles to overtake.

Edited by Edman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go , more cyclists should take more drastic steps to stand up for us. I see to many people on the hub trying to play the good guy and just accept that there are bad drivers out there and back it up by saying there are just as many bad cyclist out there.We as cyclists are the minority and die on impact whereas the cars get off with a minor dent and R250 bail as was the matter here in Oudtshoorn where a car killed 7 cyclists.

WHAT DOES THE ROAD TRAFFIC ACT SAY :

Regulation 298A

Prohibition on driving on shoulder (left of the yellow line) of a public road, except in certain circumstances

1. Subject to sub regulation (2) and regulation 298 (1) (e),

no person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.

2. Notwithstanding sub regulation (1),

the driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction

1. while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and

2. if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic, pedestrians or property on such public road;

3. if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at least 150 metres.

>>> In other wods, you may NOT drive on the left of the yellow line

... EXCEPT if all the above conditions prevail -- i.e.

* it is a two-way road (vehicles travelling in opposite directions, with only one lane on each side of the dividing line), AND

* it is while being overtaken, AND

* it is between sunrise and sunset, AND

* you can do so safely, AND

* visibility is good for seeing people and vehicles on the road for 150 metres ahead.

Bicycles are not 'motor' vehicles (but are 'road' vehicles just like any other vehicle) - AND, as they are 'constantly' being overtaken, it is acceptable/allowed to ride in the yellow lane WHILE BEING OVERTAKEN.

OK... but I'll still be cycling to the right! :- fewer punctures, less dodging pot holes & debris, and room to move left when an idiot passes too close. AND more likely to be seen on bends, believe it or not.

1+ with FRAIL

Guys, re-read my original post. I never said anything about the legality of riding on the hard shoulder/left of the yellow line. My gripe is that motorists think that we have to ride there, and that it is a cycle lane, when I am perfectly entitled to ride my bicycle in the actual road.

Try and get that into motorists South Africans heads. But it is safer to ride left of the yellow line then right of it.

Edited by Delgado

I cycle in the TRAFFIC. (right of Yellow Line).

LONG DIST TRUCKERS (FRIENDS)

LOCAL DELIVERY VANS (ENEMY)

VEHILCE with (THINK BIKE STICKER) but NO BRAINS, Why the Sticker?

A decade ago I use to drive a Suzuki Half-Loaf and would ride in the yellow lane when driving from Pta-Hoedspruit to fetch stock twice a month. I agree with you on the long distance truckers being friends vs local deliver vans.

I also LOL on the ThinkBike stickers on cars as its so true.

WHAT DOES THE ROAD TRAFFIC ACT SAY :

Regulation 298A

Prohibition on driving on shoulder (left of the yellow line) of a public road, except in certain circumstances

1. Subject to sub regulation (2) and regulation 298 (1) (e),

no person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.

2. Notwithstanding sub regulation (1),

the driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction...........................................................................................................

Some law this is, oops wait i forgot this is a land of some of the best rules and regulations on paper, but you can do what you want in public. Everyday I see taxis, cars, metro buses riding, wait speeding in the yellow lane, then I look around and about 30% of the time the is a cop in another lane turning a blind eye or talking on a cellphone. If this is not the case then you will never find them anywhere