How many of you commute on a SS?

TheSlowCyclist

70 members have voted

1. 1. SS or Geared?

• Gears
    • Single Speed
    • Fixie

a question to all single speed commuters. I am starting to commute next month. Its not far about 9km( http://www.bbbike.or...unlit=NL&scope= ) and I think maintenance wise single speed would be best. So my question is what gear ratio would be best as I am new to this

I run a 33/15 to commute . and yes maintenance is like zero . once a month chain off , clean wipe front ring and rear , chain on / lube . go in 10min .

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random question - those of you who commute, do you have clothes to change into when you get to to work? Surely you work up a sweat on the way to work. How do you handle that?

back pac with laptop / clothes / food .(weight training :devil: )

everyday.

shoes i leave apair at the office .

I run a 33/15 to commute . and yes maintenance is like zero . once a month chain off , clean wipe front ring and rear , chain on / lube . go in 10min .

Thanx. Now i just need to start building.

I commute on my do-it-all SS MTB. Rigid, 38x20T, knobbies on as I do about 80% of my route on the dirt. All smiles.

Maintenance: backpedal the chain through an old towel before each day of riding, lube and go.

It's awesome to watch the sun come up as you get the heart rate into the high 170's coming up the hill past Leeukop prison.

I would have started but I don't have a decent front light yet. Otherwise it's quite cool. We have showers etc at work so perfect.

Still running the 32x18 on my SS which I used for the SS champs and will leave on for the 3 towers race. Tested it the other day at Mankele and seemed ok. Was thinking 32x16 would be better but then 3 days in a row of over 100m climbing may start to hurt a little.... Nothing a few cold beers won't sort out

I would have started but I don't have a decent front light yet. Otherwise it's quite cool. We have showers etc at work so perfect.

Still running the 32x18 on my SS which I used for the SS champs and will leave on for the 3 towers race. Tested it the other day at Mankele and seemed ok. Was thinking 32x16 would be better but then 3 days in a row of over 100m climbing may start to hurt a little.... Nothing a few cold beers won't sort out

you want some?

I raced 3 towers last year . good luck on a 32/18 .and its a hell of alot more than a 100m of climbing per day .

Will see your there .

Ha ha meant 1000m plus a day.

Yeah did the 55km route there 2 weeks ago and was not a problem at all. 32x18 with 26inch wheels it was styling. The GF was battling to keep up on the hills and as that is who I am riding with guess I will have to slow down :whistling: and take some photo's.

2 yrs ago I took a beer every day and had one at each tower (must have been training for the SS). Last year I just took loads of photo's on route so this year I thought the SS would be a nice new challenge this year... :clap:

Ha ha meant 1000m plus a day.

Yeah did the 55km route there 2 weeks ago and was not a problem at all. 32x18 with 26inch wheels it was styling. The GF was battling to keep up on the hills and as that is who I am riding with guess I will have to slow down :whistling: and take some photo's.

2 yrs ago I took a beer every day and had one at each tower (must have been training for the SS). Last year I just took loads of photo's on route so this year I thought the SS would be a nice new challenge this year... :clap:

Ye doing the race which is longer , but the challange will be cool for a SS .

enjoy .

Catchup for a beer one evening perhaps .there are a few hub nuts doing it .

Running 44x16 on mine. No hills to speak of, but can become a tough grind into the wind. Can't wait to get rid of the Conti country tires...much worse than the Schwalbe Marathons I had.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/meezo1/PANO_20120823_161124.jpghttp://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/meezo1/IMG_20120823_161420.jpghttp://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/meezo1/IMG_20120823_161413.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/meezo1/IMG_20120823_161040.jpg

Running 32x20 just 2nd day on bike after a month long break(Ramadaan(fasting))

Today's commute was

To work : 21.1km and climbed 532m

From work : 17.8km and climbed 346m

My normal commute is

To work : 26.0km and climbed 673m

From work : 17.3km and climbed 348m

Taken from strava

So now that I have an awesome new front light seems I will start to commute on the SS next week to work. Just one question, what else are you guys using apart from lights to make yourself visible. I should say lack actually as I have seen way too many people riding with just a rear light. No reflectors etc. As the trip to work will be in total darkness (even in the car) I notice way too often even with decent front and rear lights that you don't always pick up people from the side as well as there is no reflectors. What are the road rules. I know they used to say Rear and front reflector and then those noobie wheel reflectors... What are people using out there? Sadly 2/3 of the ride is going to have to be on tar.

i for a good time never had a rear light, when i leave home not much cars on the road, and i do most my commute in mountains, no cars there.

But thanks to CWC got a pink light for R20 :eek:

Archived