Single speed projects

divernick

Or maybe go into the Aladdin's cave that is Woodstock Cycle Works and search for a frame/build there?

Aaah, I see you are in the wrong side of the Pretty Mountains.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/185777-work-of-art-bike-bike-of-artwork/?hl=art+bike

I did this one earlier in the year. Built on an unidentified steel frame with horizontal dropouts. Old components and new wheels. It is way over the top, but was worth the effort and the cost.

That looks very nice! Where did the wheels come from? I think I will go for the flat/riser bars instead of the racer bars. 

Or maybe go into the Aladdin's cave that is Woodstock Cycle Works and search for a frame/build there?

Aaah, I see you are in the wrong side of the Pretty Mountains.

Is it not you guys that are on the wrong side....?

Old steel frames have angled/almost horizontal drop outs, so you don't need to do any of the bodging.

The rear wheel slides from front to rear and that variation is more than enough to take up chain slack.

DJR's picture shows it perfectly.

You can use a regular wheelset with a shimano freebody, spacers to position the cog and I would suggest using the 39 inside ring. I start at 3 to 1 (39/13) and play with how strong you are and where you ride and go from there.

This advert clearly shows said drop outs;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bike-frames/419867/hansom-reynolds-753

Edited by Jewbacca

That looks very nice! Where did the wheels come from? I think I will go for the flat/riser bars instead of the racer bars. 

Wheels from Rook. On Novatec hubs. Good value for money.  :thumbup:

Wheels from Rook. On Novatec hubs. Good value for money.  :thumbup:

Do they sell wheels separately? I have a spare set of road wheels which I am thinking of converting. Obviously it will then just be single speed and not fixed

Do they sell wheels separately? I have a spare set of road wheels which I am thinking of converting. Obviously it will then just be single speed and not fixed

https://rookcycles.com/collections/parts-and-accessories/products/wheel-sets

yes. if i'm not mistaken those on that piece of art that is DJR's son's bike is the matt black 45mm ones. (the polished braking surface/lip is custom if you followed that thread)

Edited by morneS555

Yup, they sell wheels and components separately. Nice crowd to do business with. Helpful, friendly and reasonably priced. Well worth a visit and a chat. Oh darn, I see you live very far on the wrong side of the boerewors curtain.

The Rook's are pretty neat yes, that is basically what I am aiming for. Re the build - a frame with horizontal dropouts is a good start yes. Then the research and sourcing will start. Wheels - would I be able to convert a set of road wheels? BB and cranks...

ps...also look here:

a bit closer to home for you perhaps and they have some cool restored frames that are VERY well priced.

https://www.whippetcycles.co.za/frames

Not sure if I am ready for that yet, but sure seems very cool!

Sorry pic did not load for some reason. If at first you dont succeed......