Cramping Problem

ok i have a problem it is no longer one that i can ignore and am going to seek medical advice but want to get a view from the forum first, my legs are strong i know that as i can push more than most in either a squat or leg press but i cannot complete a ride or the day thereafter without severe cramps, either in my quads or hamstrings, i am healthier than most with gym training and a very healthy diet but this baffles me, could it be that i do not eat any salt? i have heard that salt is one of those necessary evils( in the correct amounts of coarse)but i honestly dont like it and as such avoid it wherever possible, if i use a product like cramp block i am for the most part ok but this is also inconsistent and i am in a state of constant worry that if i do any leg exercise i am going to cramp.

every time i train and ride i ensure i consume enough water, i am unfortunately not able to drink energade of one of those as i am diabetic, well i could but it makes managing my blood sugars very difficult!

in short i am asking what suggestions people may have that i can try to avoid this, is there a certain food or mineral i need to be adding to my life or am i just going to have to accept it?

any advice is appreciated.

Do you crap in training? Or just races?

In terms of your diabetes, 32GI is way to go. Do a search on the Hub and you will find lots of info on 32GI.

If you only cramp in races then I think its down to muscle conditioning. To cure this you have to train harder and race more often. Worked for me.

Do you crap in training? Or just races?

In terms of your diabetes, 32GI is way to go. Do a search on the Hub and you will find lots of info on 32GI.

If you only cramp in races then I think its down to muscle conditioning. To cure this you have to train harder and race more often. Worked for me.

Jees... i hope he doesnt crap during training.....

You cannot compare good gym conditioning to your riding condition. I used to be a bodybuilder and could squat most people into the ground. When i turned to racing it took me about 3 months to get used to the intensity of racing at league level, with my legs cramping from time to time. My legs then adapted and the cramps went away.

Some people are just genetically more prone to cramping.

Dont beat yourself up. I know its easier said than done as its easy to obsess over something that deters your performance. Give it some time but if it continues go seek proper advice and follow an action plan to see what best suits you.

Good luck but im sure its only temporary.

Edited by kent77

In my humble opinion the problem is your lack of salt.If you do not like salt would a salt tablet once a day not be the easiest option,quick and easy.

I used to suffer cramping as a youngster while surfing and the tablets helped.

I am no doctor but have heard salt helps to replenish lost electrolites lost during excercise.Just my opinion but maybe someone else can shed more light on your problem.

yep,if u sweat profusely, and start cramping, salt will help with water retention and the cramps. Used to get it a lot during my running years, and salt definitely helped stop those cramps.

Salt's just a patch job.

Maybe the diet needs to be assisted with cal-mag tabs. My dad took over my supply to help with his cramps (due to the insanely incessant heat down in the cape), and since he's been taking em, the cramps have gone completely.

Edited by Capricorn

In my humble opinion the problem is your lack of salt.

True to an extent.

The reason Eno's and Rennie's work is they neutralise acid, get rid of the acidity and all should be good.

I am diabetic and drink tons of water.

I swear by "Zinmag ZMA Sport" (Drink one morning and one evenings)

Haven't had any cramps in months.

A friend started drinking it with fantastic results.

In my humble opinion the problem is your lack of salt.If you do not like salt would a salt tablet once a day not be the easiest option,quick and easy.

I used to suffer cramping as a youngster while surfing and the tablets helped.

I am no doctor but have heard salt helps to replenish lost electrolites lost during excercise.Just my opinion but maybe someone else can shed more light on your problem.

+1 salt tabs

ok i have a problem it is no longer one that i can ignore and am going to seek medical advice but want to get a view from the forum first, my legs are strong i know that as i can push more than most in either a squat or leg press but i cannot complete a ride or the day thereafter without severe cramps, either in my quads or hamstrings, i am healthier than most with gym training and a very healthy diet but this baffles me, could it be that i do not eat any salt? i have heard that salt is one of those necessary evils( in the correct amounts of coarse)but i honestly dont like it and as such avoid it wherever possible, if i use a product like cramp block i am for the most part ok but this is also inconsistent and i am in a state of constant worry that if i do any leg exercise i am going to cramp.

every time i train and ride i ensure i consume enough water, i am unfortunately not able to drink energade of one of those as i am diabetic, well i could but it makes managing my blood sugars very difficult!

in short i am asking what suggestions people may have that i can try to avoid this, is there a certain food or mineral i need to be adding to my life or am i just going to have to accept it?

any advice is appreciated.

Crackberry, I need to ask you a couple of questions here, because you have mentioned some really pinpointed facts which make me think constantly.

Firstly how long have you been riding for? This is important to know, you mention weight training, squats etc, but in all honesty you cannot compare that to cycling.

If you understand muscle conditioning, and post activation potentiation, you will know that you have 2 types of main muscle fibers, fast and slow twitch are also broken down into other types of fiber classifications. Squatting and or weight training predominately activates your fast twitch fibers, the type of fibers you would not really activate on a long ride, as its your slow twitch fibers that you will mainly use until some real bursts of pace come to the surface. So what this actually means is, you have well trained fast twitch muscle fiber, BUT under-trained slow twitch muscle fiber, which is really your required endurance muscles for distance and long bouts of exercise. What will basically happen is that on a long ride, you will over use the under-trained muscles leading to cramping. Post activation potentiation is really the ability to prolong or to hold back the engagement of those fast twitch fibers until they are really needed, ie: the break away or sprint to the finish. As a simple explanation a guy who runs sub 3 hour marathons continuously and then decides to run a comrades at a slower pace without having trained at a slower pace will surely cramp due to muscle fibers not been conditioned for this particular pace. OK so thats the first explanation of possible cramping.

One thing I always ask my clients, When you cramp is it a particular area of the body, ie: only the quads or only the hamstring, one side or both. You see if you have an electrolyte deficiency, you will not just have localized cramping you will cramp over your entire body even core and upper, electrolyte deficiency is everywhere not just in one area and usually this refers back to muscle conditioning.

Another thing you mentioned was you drink loads of water, well thats also not a good idea, as over hydrating yourself with a liquid without any electrolytes will surely dilute your electrolyte levels and this can lead to cramping as well. You need to take in an electrolytic drink when exercising for long periods to ensure proper hydration. Dont over-hydrate it can also lead to cramping issues and not just due to electrolytic depletion, but also gastric emptying problems.

If you really do have a totally salt deficient diet, and this is an area of concern, a simple trick will demonstrate whether its this or muscle conditioning, take in an electrolyte replenishment along your route and see how it goes. I can honestly say for a ride of 3 hours upwards I would stay away from water only, but if you want to try with water, get yourself some Hammer endurolytes and see what the outcome is.

If you are diabetic, 32Gi will surely answer your question for a isotonic carbo drink on route.

Hope this helps all the best

M

Edited by MDW

True to an extent.

The reason Eno's and Rennie's work is they neutralise acid, get rid of the acidity and all should be good.

The only acid they neutralize is that in your stomach. Gives a nice burp.

My boet swears by Rennies .... :unsure:

Some guy told me this before ironman thought he was joking, but tried it as i needed to try everything on the day and it worked (for me). Found that it didnt last long though but then ate them like smarties till the end

Crackberry, I need to ask you a couple of questions here, because you have mentioned some really pinpointed facts which make me think constantly.

Firstly how long have you been riding for? This is important to know, you mention weight training, squats etc, but in all honesty you cannot compare that to cycling.

i have been cycling for about a year now, all be it not 100km every weekend, my rides are social at about 30-50km a weekend

One thing I always ask my clients, When you cramp is it a particular area of the body, ie: only the quads or only the hamstring, one side or both. You see if you have an electrolyte deficiency, you will not just have localized cramping you will cramp over your entire body even core and upper, electrolyte deficiency is everywhere not just in one area and usually this refers back to muscle conditioning.

normally i cramp in my quads, particularly the inner part of my quad just above my knee. that being said saturday was a completely different experience with both my hamstrings cramping

Another thing you mentioned was you drink loads of water, well thats also not a good idea, as over hydrating yourself with a liquid without any electrolytes will surely dilute your electrolyte levels and this can lead to cramping as well. You need to take in an electrolytic drink when exercising for long periods to ensure proper hydration. Dont over-hydrate it can also lead to cramping issues and not just due to electrolytic depletion, but also gastric emptying problems.

by loads of water i dont mean i am drinking in excess of my camel bak capability, on any given ride i will have my 3L bladder full and finish with about 500ml to 1l left, perhaps my wording was wrong there, i meant to say i drink sufficient water.

If you really do have a totally salt deficient diet, and this is an area of concern, a simple trick will demonstrate whether its this or muscle conditioning, take in an electrolyte replenishment along your route and see how it goes. I can honestly say for a ride of 3 hours upwards I would stay away from water only, but if you want to try with water, get yourself some Hammer endurolytes and see what the outcome is.

If you are diabetic, 32Gi will surely answer your question for a isotonic carbo drink on route.

although i dont add salt to my diet i dont go out of my way to avaoid it, so the natural salts etc that are in my food are about all i get, i do enjoy cheese and biltong so i would assume( yes i know its the mother of all F*** ups) my natural salt intake would be enough

a big thanks to all for the responses so far.

Edited by Crackberry

Good post MDW :clap:

Cramps are usually the bodies way of protecting itself from our ambitions.

i.e. riding faster or further than we have trained for.

Edited by SwissVan

If it is localised it could be a setup issue, like your feet not being straight :unsure:

The cramping hamstrings could be completely unrelated, and be a result of bad nutrition for the one ride.

Edited by DaLoCo