Formula 1...

'Dale

As for Vettel, we all know that he is a superb driver while driving the best car on the track, however to be classified as a Formula 1 legend alongside Senna/Schumacher, he will need to win races in a poor car... Go watch Senna at Esterol in '85 and Donnington & Adelaide in '93.

Assuming Adrian Newey doesn't pull another rabbit out the hat and turn this years Bull into a dominant machine, this could be the season we learn a lot more about the young German.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Vettel, we all know that he is a superb driver while driving the best car on the track, however to be classified as a Formula 1 legend alongside Senna/Schumacher, he will need to win races in a poor car... Go watch Senna at Esterol in '85 and Donnington & Adelaide in '93.

Assuming Adrian Newey doesn't pull another rabbit out the hat and turn this years Bull into a dominant machine, this could be the season we learn a lot more about the young German.

This is what I am bargaining on. While I do believe he has had a superior car for most of his career I also believe he is a super talented driver.

Car doesn't drive itself afterall.

This will be a true test of his character, can't wait to see how it pans out.

Agreed with Steve here. Although I have to say - driving a car with 180bhp less than your competitors is a HELLUVA disadvantage, and no driver would be able to withstand that sort of disadvantage in a race where that power is available for 33 seconds per lap. That's a 20% power loss for Vettel right there. That's the effective disadvantage he had, and I can guarantee they'll be studying Ricciardo's car intently to determine the differences between them in order to make it work.

May also be that they were trying 2 different setups and Daniel happened to get the one that worked on the day. Either way, though, Rosberg deserved the win. Complete and total domination from the start. Brilliant car, and a VERY good driver. Daniel also had a great drive in what critics have claimed to be a grossly inferior car from a power-plant perspective...

I think we must remember that Melbourne is a street circuit, so the horsepower disadvantage will not be such a big issue. When we get to the faster tracks with the long straights we will clearly see the differences in the engines. I think the Ferrari is also lacking some horses compared to the Mercedes.

I think we must remember that Melbourne is a street circuit, so the horsepower disadvantage will not be such a big issue. When we get to the faster tracks with the long straights we will clearly see the differences in the engines. I think the Ferrari is also lacking some horses compared to the Mercedes.

If we're talking 5 to 10 horses, yeah - you'd be right. But when all the cars are of similar weight, 180 horses is a HUGE disadvantage. Remember, that's a 20% difference in power, and with these turbocharged & ERS driven engines the torque is on demand at relatively low revs - which means that coming out of corners WITHOUT that ERS system means that the car is at an extreme disadvantage - there is pronounced turbo lag (no pre-charging through the ERS) and a loss of power throughout the rev range - resulting in slower times...

If we're talking 5 to 10 horses, yeah - you'd be right. But when all the cars are of similar weight, 180 horses is a HUGE disadvantage. Remember, that's a 20% difference in power, and with these turbocharged & ERS driven engines the torque is on demand at relatively low revs - which means that coming out of corners WITHOUT that ERS system means that the car is at an extreme disadvantage - there is pronounced turbo lag (no pre-charging through the ERS) and a loss of power throughout the rev range - resulting in slower times...

I meant to say, when all engines are working and everything is working, then we can see the true potential of the Merc, Renault and Ferrari powerplants. On a street circuit horsepower is not as important as somewhere like Monza.

I don't see what the fuss about sensors is all about

They have 100kg of fuel for the race.

If they want the car to burn fuel at over 100kg per hour then that's fine, the driver will have to run to complete the race.

It was interesting hearing the tyre squeal as they left the pit box. Never heard that before.

Edited by Baldrick

I meant to say, when all engines are working and everything is working, then we can see the true potential of the Merc, Renault and Ferrari powerplants. On a street circuit horsepower is not as important as somewhere like Monza.

yeah. 100%. But in this case it was certainly a factor...

yeah. 100%. But in this case it was certainly a factor...

That Mercedes of Rosberg off the line was mighty, looked so much faster than last year. I think Merc could have won by a bigger margin, they were holding back. Looking forward to Malaysia in 2 weeks time.

So we had yet another F1 race completely dominated by one car.....Someone stop it, I canna take it anymore when one car wins by over 20 seconds....(tongue in cheek)

Yes there was some good dicing going on behind Roseberg, but even that was a not a flat out race with the fuel restrictions, why restrict the fuel to the extent that drivers have to pace themselves until the end? Its formula one not the economy run....

hat,coat, leaving

I said that numerous pages ago... Fuel restrictions was tried in the 80's, was stopped after a season or two. Why bring it back?! Interesting how it seems the guys are actually quite confident that it will not really affect the racing so much - and it seems more of the "hype" around this is created by the commentary team.

What I'm even more PO'ed about is why even restrict something silly like wind tunnel testing?! I mean really... why?! By now a lot of teams have invested in wind tunnels, only to be told now that hey, you may only use it for x hours per season. (We seriosuly need a facepalm smiley...)

Also agree on the helmet identity thing. Get your design and stick to it, with maybe subtle changes from time to time. I'm guessing both Merc guys went for a redesign due to their colours clashing, with both using (okay, having used) yellow helmets.

Agreed with Steve here. Although I have to say - driving a car with 180bhp less than your competitors is a HELLUVA disadvantage, and no driver would be able to withstand that sort of disadvantage in a race where that power is available for 33 seconds per lap. That's a 20% power loss for Vettel right there. That's the effective disadvantage he had, and I can guarantee they'll be studying Ricciardo's car intently to determine the differences between them in order to make it work.

May also be that they were trying 2 different setups and Daniel happened to get the one that worked on the day. Either way, though, Rosberg deserved the win. Complete and total domination from the start. Brilliant car, and a VERY good driver. Daniel also had a great drive in what critics have claimed to be a grossly inferior car from a power-plant perspective...

See Alonso's victory in Malaysia 2012 where he won in the rain in the worst Ferrari in several decades... The best will pull rabbits out of hats even if they have no chance in the title race.

• 2 weeks later...

So, who got up early to watch free practice 1 this morning. I know its early days, fp1 , and we cant read too much into it. seems as if Red Bull are still struggling, Lotus stil cant manage more than a handfull of laps. Only real surprise to me was Kimi, looked flippen good this morning, 2nd quickest. Early days, but looking forward to the race for sure. Love the circuit.

Oh ja, does anyone know if Red Bull changed the fuel sensor to the FIA one, or are they sticking to their guns and using their own one.

Edited by Johny Bravo

So, who got up early to watch free practice 1 this morning. I know its early days, fp1 , and we cant read too much into it. seems as if Red Bull are still struggling, Lotus stil cant manage more than a handfull of laps. Only real surprise to me was Kimi, looked flippen good this morning, 2nd quickest. Early days, but looking forward to the race for sure. Love the circuit.

Oh ja, does anyone know if Red Bull changed the fuel sensor to the FIA one, or are they sticking to their guns and using their own one.

I may be mistaken but everyone has to use the FIA sensors. No exeption.

The problem was that the sensors were giving false readings all through testing and practices and so in the race when they were told they had too much fuel flow they opted to ignore it believing it was a faulty sensor again.

Anyway, many more knowledgable people on here that can confirm or correct me.

See Hamilton fastest, then Raikkonen and then Rosberg. Don't know after that though.

I may be mistaken but everyone has to use the FIA sensors. No exeption.

The problem was that the sensors were giving false readings all through testing and practices and so in the race when they were told they had too much fuel flow they opted to ignore it believing it was a faulty sensor again.

Anyway, many more knowledgable people on here that can confirm or correct me.

See Hamilton fastest, then Raikkonen and then Rosberg. Don't know after that though.

Ja, thats why I am asking. Not too sure either. Sasha and them on absolute F1 made it sound like its not a Fia sensor and indeed a Red Bull design. Again, I am asking here, Sasha also not always correct.