Formula 1...

'Dale

Watched a F1 movie called 1 life on the limit.

All about F1 from the heydays up to today and all to do with the safety standards and how it has evolved.

Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it already.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven, it's not maybe "Life at the limit" by any chance? Just asking, because that's the title of Prof Sid Watkins' biography - I have the book. Great read, so if it's the same, just in film, it should be good to watch.

Oh... bugger! *facepalm* Forgot what I actually came around here for to mention! :whistling:

Apparently Stefano Domenicali is no longer Ferrari team principal - or whatever the technical title was. Like with Martin Whitmarsh, it seems results are paramount and if you don't perform, you are gone very quickly. And yeah, pure irony (on Whitmarsh) that they're performing this year based on decisions I'm pretty sure he made last year - such as Merc engine.

Yip, no more SD. I'd say it was long overdue - he's not cut throat enough and Ferrari has been underperforming for years and years. Many said this will be a make or break year.

On Whitmarsh...samething. Merc engines were always going to happen as they had an air tight contract in place. It was actually Ron who got some sponsors for each race so far after they failed to land a title sponsor for 2014, also the The Ron who made the call to sign Magnussen over Perez and who's pushing like hell to get Alonso back.

Obviously from what I've read and heard.

Might be based on Prof Sid's book, he is instrumental in a lot of the safety precautions and standards today.

But it incorporates a lot more than just him. A lot of drivers were advocating for it too.

I'm sure you would enjoy it if you say the book was good.

Like with Martin Whitmarsh, it seems results are paramount and if you don't perform, you are gone very quickly. And yeah, pure irony (on Whitmarsh) that they're performing this year based on decisions I'm pretty sure he made last year - such as Merc engine.

Well... Whitmarsh very much inherited Merc engines so no credit there. I must say Ron bringing Honda back next year could be very interesting for Maclaren, and its much more than just nostalgia. I don't see how Merc will have been able to protect their IP on the engines from Maclaren given how the power unit has to be integrated with the rest of the car's systems, so Honda will have been able to steer their developtment direction in the optimal way based on these learnings and should really hit the ground running next year.

Well... Whitmarsh very much inherited Merc engines so no credit there. I must say Ron bringing Honda back next year could be very interesting for Maclaren, and its much more than just nostalgia. I don't see how Merc will have been able to protect their IP on the engines from Maclaren given how the power unit has to be integrated with the rest of the car's systems, so Honda will have been able to steer their developtment direction in the optimal way based on these learnings and should really hit the ground running next year.

For sure. At the least they will know exactly how much it weighs, what the output is and fuel consumption per circuit - all of that will give them clear targets to hit. Honda will know better than Renault and Ferrari what some of the Merc's secrets are.

Have read on JA on F1 that Ferrari is actually rated last of the current engines. It's more reliable than Renalut as a power unit, but it weighs the most, heaviest on consumption and down on power compared to the other two.

Red Bull creeping up the grid in China...

Or did the wet weather level the, uhm, racing field?