Brake Pads resting on Rotar!!!??!!

Westi

same problem here. have the juicy 7 , i think. on saturday I tried to replace 2 pads. got it in, but the roter was stuck. so I replace one brand new and had to leave the "best" of the used pads in.

Dunno how to get 2 new ones in and get is set to allow the rotor to move freely.

Westi - you may wanna specify make and model of brakes, I'm sure the sprocket rockets here need that to give advice! Just a thought, use it don't .........!

When replacing old pads with new pads the caliper needs to be depressed back in because the new pads are much thicker obviously.

So when you spin your wheel the first couple of times without depressing the caliper in the pads will touch your wheel.

After a very short while though just by using the brakes the calipers will compress far enough so the wheel can spin freely, if that makes any sense at all.

popeye, did my son's Juicy 5's recently, you gotta remove the old pads, then push the  'pistons' as far back as they can go, they almost look flush with the caliper on both sides. Fit new pads (don't touch the pad breaking surface or the rotor!) , important to now put the wheel back, then re-center the caliper, i.e. loosen the bolts that hold them on, now here's a trick :-

Use a cable tie to put full pressure on the brake lever then tighten the bolts. Cut the cable tie, give it a squeeze or 2 and now go out and do the breaking in procedure as required (10 hard stops from a good speed should do it!).

worked for me!

SORRY BB, avid 3, XT rotars!!!!

its not catching much but it isn't allowing the whell to rotate freely without resistance

so the problen is to push that "round" thing on the inside back?

i'm still riding it with one new, one almost on metal.

will try tonight.

so the problen is to push that "round" thing on the inside back?

Yip that's it, just ease it back slowly (don't want everything shooting out the top at the levers or something!).

As per the earlier suggestion a tyre lever works well as it won't 'hurt' anything!

nou wat het maruis geweet wat ek nie geweet het?

jy was by my in die hell toe ek gesukkel het, hoekom het jy nie gehelp.

maar jy het mos net rond gehop op jou bicycle soos 'n mak aapie in 'n toe hok.

Het julle hom al gesien as hy sy fiets by hom het... Hy sit en hopp heel middag op die ding.

Ok guys when it comes to compatibility its out of my league and as you know most (in fact all!) advice I give is anecdotal and in my personal experience so all standard disclaimers come into play!

But Pop's that's how I've done both my Juicy 7's as well as my son's Juicy 5's more than once with no problem.