To insure, or not to insure...

Lamber

So my days as a careless student are gone- and now I'm supposed to be responsible.

I recently got a quote from my broker for household insurance and I get a good discount if I add my bike to that list.

I'm on a Spezzie Epic Comp, so it is worth something- still I'm not sure if its worth the R100 per month seeing as I take good care of it and have relocated to Kimberley- not really the gun capital of SA.

What's the going rate for insurance on say, a R20k bike, and can anyone share experience where the claim was needed?

Edited by Lamber

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R100 insurance on a R20K bike is for free, take it! My two bikes costs me way more than that.

Edited by atraut

So my days as a careless student are gone- and now I'm supposed to be responsible.

I recently got a quote from my broker for household insurance and I get a good discount if I add my bike to that list.

I'm on a Spezzie Epic Comp, so it is worth something- still I'm not sure if its worth the R100 per month seeing as I take good care of it and have relocated to Kimberley- not really the gun capital of SA.

What's the going rate for insurance on say, a R20k bike, and can anyone share experience where the claim was needed?

If you can afford it, get it, you never know what could happen on the trail, even so much as your bike falling off its carrier(heaven forbid), at least its covered.

Chap. Check 2 things with your insurer:

1. Is the bike insured for theft & damage , and if so does this include damage during RACES? (usually NO unless a premium is paid)

2. Does the insurance cover COMPONENT damage ie: Fork, Frame, Wheelset?

These on their own are High Cost items. I recently claimed for damage to replace a Fork (badly handled by a Local Bike Shop) and was paid out the 7+ K to replace it.

A broken frame, outside it's warranty will also set you back.

All in all, it was worth the 130 odd per month. I had it on my business insurance, but recently moved it to household, and it now costs less.

Oh, By The Way, I have seen a moerse big pothole in Kimberly, so avoid it if Not Insured!

Edited by The Drongo

If you can afford it, get it, you never know what could happen on the trail, even so much as your bike falling off its carrier(heaven forbid), at least its covered.

Actually that's the only reason why I was considering it. That and getting hit by a truck- AGAIN :thumbdown:

To get back to the question .

If you can affort to replace the lost/damaged/stolen item you don't need insurance, if you can't you do .

That is the simple answer .

Actually that's the only reason why I was considering it. That and getting hit by a truck- AGAIN :thumbdown:

Read what Drongo had to say as well :thumbup: Parts are expensive to replace as well. I know Im covered for everything(races included)

Cyclesure does not pay out for manufacturing defects. Like when you buy a second hand bike and warranty falls away.

Chap. Check 2 things with your insurer:

1. Is the bike insured for theft & damage , and if so does this include damage during RACES? (usually NO unless a premium is paid)

2. Does the insurance cover COMPONENT damage ie: Fork, Frame, Wheelset?

These on their own are High Cost items. I recently claimed for damage to replace a Fork (badly handled by a Local Bike Shop) and was paid out the 7+ K to replace it.

All in all, it was worth the 130 odd per month. I had it on my business insurance, but recently moved it to household, and it now costs less.

Oh, By The Way, I have seen a moerse big pothole in Kimberly, so avoid it if Not Insured!

Someone once said "you don't get advice on theHub"- only opinions. So contrarary to that- thanks a lot Drongo. It does cover races, but they never mentioned anything about components- so I'll have a chat.

PS there are 4 Big Holes in Kimberley, of which 'the big hole' is the SMALLEST (although its the biggest MAN MADE hole).

And yes, i work at one of the the other 3 :D

I'm not so sure what our "new" insurance is going to cover but I've been quoted R60 for R12K. We are taking out a complete package (business, home, car, bicycle) and was very happy to see how much we are going to save. Speak to your broker and shop around.

(Our "rough" quote as the broker first needs to see our exact needs, is cheaper for all 4 things than what we are currently paying just for the car and business)

"Actually that's the only reason why I was considering it. That and getting hit by a truck- AGAIN"

Maybe you want to consider life insurance instead of bike insurance.

dude dont be stupid pay the 100bucks, this is SA either its going to get stolen at some point, or your going to crack a frame or cause some other damange.

This is a no brainer.:D

Get quotes. I pay far less than that on a R30k bike.

Get quotes. I pay far less than that on a R30k bike.

With whom are you?

I pay R280 on a R50k bike, so R100 on R20k not bad I thinks