What Brakes does Kevin Evans Use?

levett

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

without reading through all the waffle .. how does a rotor fail ?

I admit I didn't read everything.

Scrub rotors are built as follows a magnesium centre spindle, aluminum retaining ring and a composite metal braking surface, they call it a friction ring.

As I understand these rotors are extremely light however after chatting to the SRAM guys at world cup and Evans original brake sponsors (Magura) what they explained to me is as follows.

1) XX World Cup is an extremely light system as is with very small tolerances and has been designed as a whole using Avid rotors and Organic pads. This is from the scrub website

"Effective immediately, Scrub Components will only receive warranty claims on rotors that have been properly used with Scrub brake pads for MMC rotors. If the customer chooses to use another brand of brake pad, they do so at their own risk and may not be eligible for any warranty claim."

2) Evans was running a Scrub rotors, to save weight, and not the specified Avid rotor with Avid pads, I am unsure whether or not he was running scrub or avid organic pads.

Also from Scrub:

"Even if you choose to use pads other than Scrub with your Scrub rotors, please be aware that sintered, semi-metallic or full metallic pads should never be used. Use only organic or resin pads!

Use of any pad other than Scrub brake pads for MMC rotors may compromise performance and/or void any support that we may offer."

"To clear up any confusion around the crash, here it is from me:

It was simply a problem with the disc pads that we changed the night before the stage. On the steep descends, the aluminum rotors were overheating and causing the brakes to ‘fade’ and loose power."

3) These above to contributed to the system overheating, I suspect it has something to do with the composite braking surface of Scrub rotors and a pad incompatibility issue,

As we know heat and DOT fluid do not mix well, brakes got hot and both the rotor and system overheated. which resulted in burnt pad, boiled fluid and a failed braking surface and therefore failed brakes and rotor.

Moral of the Story SRAM spend Millions on R&D if they say specify something like certain rotor pad and brake combinations, it is specified for a reason. I am sure if they could they would make the XX rotors lighter but they haven't which indicates that there is a very good reason for it, maybe even a safety issue.