levett

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

keith bontrager

Thanks gents.

@ Dangle, This "afbliksem" just had more significance. but He's a balanced person, skeem He will enjoy the time at home with Ruby and Karin and when Its time to get back he wil come back with more hunger. I"m more worried about how Dave will motivate himself again..

OK, so its narrowed down a bit more.

Now we can all speculate on what brake pads were used.

The failing kind???? :)

The failing kind???? :)

It was simply a problem with the disc pads that we changed the night before the stage. On the steep descends, the aluminium rotors were overheating and causing the brakes to ‘fade’ and loose power.

Ai ai ai...aluminium rotors.. DUDE... as much as I am a fan, friend and biggest supporter.. Kevy... ALU ROTORS ???? Why buddy?

Theres no need for this !! Alu heats up way way WAY more than steel.. It wil melt into pads Im not pretending to be the smartest oke out there, and who knows maybe in 3 years time were all running them, but ALU is weight weeny stuff, not epic material.. CARBON rotors, maybe.. but ALU.

I cant get over it..:angry:

Dude not even going to bother ripping you one on this one. You just ripped yourself one. Unlucky he might be but he is a savva legend.

Nobody is ripping anyone or anything.

I also ripped nothing for myself.

He may be unlucky, and he is a legend as you say, that I agree.

Fact of the matter is, everyone crashes, regardless whether you are a beginner or Greg Minnaar for that matter. Everyone crashes from time to time. Everyone makes mistakes, although the Pro's sometimes seem to make less......

So my comment stands that he may well have run out of talent............which is short for "He may well have made an error in judgement and crashed................" It Happens to the best of them.

"He may well have made an error in judgement and crashed................" It Happens to the best of them.

Yes, he may have , but when you tell your partner you have no brakes, that means you have no brakes and no good or bad judgment is going to get you to slow down.

Theres no need for this !! Alu heats up way way WAY more than steel.. It wil melt into pads Im not pretending to be the smartest oke out there, and who knows maybe in 3 years time were all running them, but ALU is weight weeny stuff, not epic material.. CARBON rotors, maybe.. but ALU.

For someone whose knowledge of brakes constitutes the fact that if you pull the lever the bike slows down (bar the the present thread topic), this explanation is actually quite helpfull :thumbup:

Yes, he may have , but when you tell your partner you have no brakes, that means you have no brakes and no good or bad judgment is going to get you to slow down.

Thats why I said he "May have"..........

HE also "May not have"...............

Speculation, exactly the same as everyone else on this post has been doing.........

Speculation, exactly the same as everyone else on this post has been doing.........

Nobody is disputing that.

But this puts an end to your speculation.

To clear up any confusion around the crash, here it is from me:

It was simply a problem with the disc pads that we changed the night before the stage. On the steep descends, the aluminium rotors were overheating and causing the brakes to ‘fade’ and loose power. On the steepest descend on the stage, 25km into the race, I had too much speed to slow down and knew I was heading for a crash. All things considering, I think I was fairly lucky, as I crashed in a very hectic corner. Helmet completely smashed and I could have been so much worse!

Immediately I knew that I had sustained a serious injury as I felt my shoulder and could feel the bone was broken. I got back on the bike and rode down to the next turn where there were two marshals. At this point Dave was ahead of me, and I quickly un-zipped my jersey and asked the marshal to have a look and confirm if it was broken. I felt like could go on, and didn’t want to stop the race, especially as the adrenalin was kicking and I had no initial pain. The marshal lifted my arm and we heard a crack, confirming the break. He called the ambulance who came to fetch me and take me away.

I shared some tears on Dave’s shoulder when he came back to see what had happened, the heart ache immense.

So much effort, time, commitment, everything just gone in a second.

I was taken back to Vincent Pallotti Hospital, where Dr. Solomon had put a plate and screws into my shoulder ten years ago. As he knew hat had been done previously, he knew what would ned to be done second time round. The old plate an screws removed, replaced by a new one with a few more screws.

I still believe everything happens for a reason, and although this is a major setback for me, I have so much to be grateful for, that I can only but smile:

I have sponsors that are again at my hospital bed one hundred percent behind me.

I have Dave as a team mate who is always supporting and remains focused and positive,

I have my family who love and support me through all the highs and lows.

No matter what you think, it can always be worse, so I’ll take it on the chin, heal up fast, and be back and strong, hungry as ever!

Thanks to everyone for your support, I’ll be back, again.

Posted by Kevin at 9:33 AM

I should have said, this was from the wrightup Dangle just posted.

Kevs words..'It was simply a problem with the disc pads that we changed the night before the stage. On the steep descends, the aluminium rotors were overheating and causing the brakes to ‘fade’ and loose power"

Ai ai ai...aluminium rotors.. DUDE... as much as I am a fan, friend and biggest supporter.. Kevy... ALU ROTORS ???? Why buddy?

I cant get over it..:angry:

Im still pissed

If my memory serves (not so well anymore) fade (as opposed to failure) can be attributed to brake fluid. That's usually the case with cars anyway.

If my memory serves (not so well anymore) fade (as opposed to failure) can be attributed to brake fluid. That's usually the case with cars anyway.

I looked this up yesterday and found this: "Loss of stopping power, or fade, can be caused by friction fade, mechanical fade, or fluid fade."

I looked this up yesterday and found this: "Loss of stopping power, or fade, can be caused by friction fade, mechanical fade, or fluid fade."

As I explained my reason earlier in the post for the cause of brake fade.

yea Al rotors is just plain and simply a BAD idea imho unless its some miracle alloy. On this topic, a chance to plug my fav brand: Hope make a vented 203mm rotor, but you need a special calliper.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/150/16364.jpg

No matter who or what is at fault, after Kevin's post with positive and thankfull remarks, I look up to the man even more. Get well soon Kevin!