Best method of protection!

Chubba

Mmm.... I think you might have some bigger underlying problems in NZ.

Wrong, they get a bad earthquake, killing what, 100(I don't know) every 50 years. Here we sit with 40million overpopulated rubbish, and because of that there isn't enough resource(food, work) so now its right to rob rape murder kill etc... And just don't dare touch them, whether you are trained to do, or shoot them in self defence!!!

Oops, how can I talk like that of Mandela's angels? *&^(&%*$*&*

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The safest soloution is

1. ride on and IDT or at the gym for focused training

2. ride with a club or properly organised ride- I.e 5 or more people who ride together, you can wait at the top of the hill becuase while the person drops off the back the muggers can get him/her

3. if you have to ride alone do laps at MTN bike park /rietvlie or at teak

+1

I always carry a baton.

I was once attacked while I had pepper spray and I used the whole can to no effect. I think those that suggest this method should let us know which brands actually work. :thumbup:

+1

I always carry a baton.

I was once attacked while I had pepper spray and I used the whole can to no effect. I think those that suggest this method should let us know which brands actually work. :thumbup:

What kind of baton do you carry? The rubber police ones... just asking coz I was thinking of doing that but have no idea what is practical...

What kind of baton do you carry? The rubber police ones... just asking coz I was thinking of doing that but have no idea what is practical...

I carry one of those collapsable ones that the police in Europe/States use. I have two sizes, a small one and a medium one(about 21cm closed -52 open). The small fits nicely into the jersey pocket when riding. I've had them for years and have come in handy plenty of times. It defers at lot of trouble but if it persists then the person/car on the receiving end will need to have their medical aid/insurance up to date. They aren't the lightest but handy enough for me to use the larger one for trail running in the afternoons.

Good to keep in the car too

Edited by Klaus

I carry one of those collapsable ones that the police in Europe/States use. I have two sizes, a small one and a medium one(about 21cm closed -52 open). The small fits nicely into the jersey pocket when riding. I've had them for years and have come in handy plenty of times. It defers at lot of trouble but if it persists then the person/car on the receiving end will need to have their medical aid/insurance up to date. They aren't the lightest but handy enough for me to use the larger one for trail running in the afternoons.

Nice... where do you buy them? Sound like an ideal "protection devise" :)

+1

I always carry a baton.

do you quote you bike weight with or without the baton :lol:

most important thing, just as when driving a car, when you see lurkers expect them to be wanting to attack you (well for those you can see and who dont hide in the bushes).

guy's seriously.....a weapon is only as good as the hands it is in!

If you are going to carry ANY kind of weapon....BE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO 1) USE IT 2) STOP THE OTHER GUY FROM USING IT AGAINST YOU!

Ride in safe areas, and for DOG sake learn to protect yourself without a weapon where possible!

These look pretty cool

http://www.beststungun.com/streetwise-mini-stun-gun.html

Priced at ±R500 that would easily fit under shorts or in pockets

or for some range

http://www.beststungun.com/taserc2.html

Bit pricier but still small. Like the idea of the stun gun as you can zap it a bit to warn them off. Although the taser is cool as you can f%^ck them from 5m

Sure you pick something like this up here in SA

Its crazy that you even have to think like this, so now your cross training must include a self defense and weapon training :(

guy's seriously.....a weapon is only as good as the hands it is in!

If you are going to carry ANY kind of weapon....BE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO 1) USE IT 2) STOP THE OTHER GUY FROM USING IT AGAINST YOU!

Ride in safe areas, and for DOG sake learn to protect yourself without a weapon where possible!

i agree to a point, BUT, in my view if you are at the risk of being hurt any type object around you that you can use as a weapon, pick up, use it and run - rock, bottle (break it and swipe), thick stick, sand in the eyes.....better than using your untrained hands and possibly more effective.

I was hoping there was a clever device out there to strap to my bike, like a C4 derivative.....bye bye....boom!

Edited by Chubba

I see alot of guys carry pepper spray, but my question is, where do you carry it, because in most cases you only have afew seconds to get it out and spray the mullets

Attach with velcro on the handlebars!

Its crazy that you even have to think like this, so now your cross training must include a self defense and weapon training :(

You might be on to something, perhaps we can start combination of cross training here, the 'South Africa triathlon'... cycling, running and kick boxing!!

I am guessing that you are speaking about the ASP Batons and they are pretty heavy but you get used to it.They do make a Titanium model but sells for about R4000.

Most good gun shops sell them but they are expensive to buy in SA.

http://www.asp-usa.com/product-catalog/batons/

Edited by gummibear

In the art of war, the best method of attack is through ambush or surprize tactics which startles the Other.

In that split second of being startled, stunned or shocked, the Other is psychologically disarmed. And often physically disarmed from one's defensive tool.

Hmmm... Interesting thread.

Be safe out there, Riders!

+1

I always carry a baton.

Pepper spray won't work on about 10% of people and also won't work on someone who has smoked dagga or used tik,speed or lsd.