Best method of protection!

Chubba

Based on the 2 attacks reported today what are the best methods of protection for riding on road and/or mountain?

I do not own a gun anymore, and I do not care to own one again!

Any other ideas?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i think gun ownership causes more sh$% than anything else.

I know of a case where a cyclist protected himself (and his friend) by shooting an assailant. He ended up in court over a period of years, he was even arrested, because he chose to protect himself.

Always think about what happens when you escalate the situation. EG - the assailant has a gun - you escalate the situation by producing your own weapon - this has normally dire consequences - the attacker is there with one purpose only, and he has no regard for life as you know it. Thus he will not think twice about shooting you, even if you only produced the gun in order to scare him off.

I dont know what the correct way of protecting oneself is.

But trust me, i am thinking twice about going out alone.

Normally i ride past Zandspruit in the week, and i thank my lucky stars i was not there yesterday when the riots hapened around 6am in the morning.

i am thinking of getting pepperspray to keep with me when i ride. - once again if i end up bringing pepperspray to a gunfight. it will not be nice :angry:

I see alot of guys carry pepper spray, but my question is, where do you carry it, because in most cases you only have afew seconds to get it out and spray the mullets

I see alot of guys carry pepper spray, but my question is, where do you carry it, because in most cases you only have afew seconds to get it out and spray the mullets

You can get a thin canister that I tuck under my shorts on my outer right hand thigh. Easily accessible and stays with you when you are off the bike. But in a firearm situation just hand over your bike.....

The safest soloution is

1. ride on and IDT or at the gym for focused training

2. ride with a club or properly organised ride- I.e 5 or more people who ride together, you can wait at the top of the hill becuase while the person drops off the back the muggers can get him/her

3. if you have to ride alone do laps at MTN bike park /rietvlie or at teak

We need a South African Camelbak that has some mounting points on the shoulder straps for pepperspray, 9mm, tazer and happy stick...

A small diving knife cable tired to your stem,it's right where you need it.

A bigger boot knife on your hydration pac strap.

ASP baton and some training with the above.

Move to New Zealand. Seriously, this is what I did, in part to avoid dealing with that sort of nonsense.

Move to New Zealand. Seriously, this is what I did, in part to avoid dealing with that sort of nonsense.

Mmm.... I think you might have some bigger underlying problems in NZ.

Mmm.... I think you might have some bigger underlying problems in NZ.

Sheez every time I say something like that I realise I could be on shaky ground.

A small diving knife cable tired to your stem,it's right where you need it.

A bigger boot knife on your hydration pac strap.

ASP baton and some training with the above.

You have just created a new market: Bring on the carbon fibre and Ti knives and nunchucks for SA bikers!

just give them what they want unless you consider yourself as Chuck Norris.

Sometimes that's true but the way things are going you will get hurt,rather try and prevent it and go home to your family.

On mon and wed evening you can find me in the ring @ Muai Thai class.

Edited by LOUDMAC

I have always relied on an instinctively *** attitude towards aggression and quick hands ( or feet - for a fast getaway! wink.gif) , but ever since I have been a family man my perspective has changed somewhat. If they have a gun/knife/mob they can take what they want. Insurance will hopefully cover the loss.......however it is hard to predict how one will react in the face of an attack......! I always carry a decent sized can of pepper spray with me clipped into my shirt or camelback strap and know that a well swung bike can do a lot of damage! First line of defence however is avoiding dodgy areas and try to always ride in a group when possible.

Well i think gun ownership causes more sh$% than anything else.I know of a case where a cyclist protected himself (and his friend) by shooting an assailant. He ended up in court over a period of years, he was even arrested, because he chose to protect himself.

the problem is criminals are in charge of the country. when the right people use their guns they're in trouble, WTF???

When not having a gun, if you see the people of this country walking next to the road, take another rd, try and go past them at speed.