Refilling with stans

JacquesT

Hi guys

How often should you be topping up or replacing your stans fluid in tubeless tyres? And then how much do you put in?

Hi guys

How often should you be topping up or replacing your stans fluid in tubeless tyres? And then how much do you put in?

Na elke bom wat jy gebruik het is 'n goeie tyd. So twee van daai scoops is genoeg. Skud die wiel, as jy niks vloeistof hoor nie is dit tyd!

Take the wheels out of the bike, and shake them. If you can hear sealant splashing around then you are still ok. If you hear nothing, refill.

I also listen for splashing but thinking about it, even if there is splashing it might not be enough to close more than a small hole ?

So you would need to top up periodically ?

I've bought a Stans syringe so wanna try that out - you can then extract the sealant and see how much there is in ml, and just squirt it back in one go.

Or that is the idea anyway, will give it a bash...

I've bought a Stans syringe so wanna try that out - you can then extract the sealant and see how much there is in ml, and just squirt it back in one go.

Or that is the idea anyway, will give it a bash...

Please let me know how that goes Weight Weenie.

I tried it last weekend and ended up with Stans all over my face and everywhere else!

If you inject to slowly the needle gets blocked (Stans just doing its job!)

Please let me know how that goes Weight Weenie.

I tried it last weekend and ended up with Stans all over my face and everywhere else!

If you inject to slowly the needle gets blocked (Stans just doing its job!)

The same happened with me so keen to see how it goes with WW.

Can you mix products or do you have to keep to the same sealant?

And the pastic tube pops off the syringe!

need to add a cable tie!!

usually listen for splashing around - and top up accordingly...

Same here..2 plugs in rear tyre and they tend to start leaking in Groenkloof's rocky patches...So today is off tyre, patch on inside of tyre to replace plugs and all the fun to get it back on with Stans spilling all ver the place..yuk

Moolz you talking about the stans syringe ? Seems solid to me

Gummi/Tank I'll let you know, after buying a road bike to train on I don't ride the mtb much, so will try it sometime before I go to Groenies this week (got holidays till the 11th :clap: )

Gummi the idea is you open the valve and screw the tube connected to the syringe onto that so you would then in theory be able to suck the sealant out the tyre and into the syring and check how much there is. You can then squirt it back or add more by probly blocking the tube with your finger and taking the back of the syringe off and pore sealant in there. put it back and fill the tyre. also if you wanna change tyres you should be able to suck up the sealant, change tyres and use the same sealant again without messing. or just squirt in the right amount on a new conversion.

Will see if it works in reality...

Could try this

How much stans do they have in those tires, a liter? There is not enough sealant in my tube do cover punctures in the sidewalls that high up unless I tilt the bike.

@WeightW I used a normal syringe and needle - I couldnt think of another way. My valves are not removable and I did not want to remove the tire completely just to add some Stans.

Learned a couple of lesson along the way :lol:

1. Deflate tire as far as possible

2. When it feels like nothing is going out of the syringe, stop pushing! Stans did its job and sealed the needle that means the needle is the next thing to dislodge from the syringe under pressure :lol:

3. Dont wipe your face while the stans is still wet, give it a couple of minutes to dry. Cleans much easier that way :P

Edited by Tankman

Splashing around sounds isn't always a good indicator. Yes, it does tell you that there is liquid in there, but sometimes the liquid is useless after inflating with CO2.

The CO2 congeals the solids in Stan's into a solid ball which you can feel if the tyre is flat and you feel right around.

The liquid left behind after a ball has formed is useless as sealant.

If you only inflate with a pump or compressor, liquid sounds are good sounds.

Tank well I have removable valve cores so that helps allot, but you only need to remove a bit of one side of the bead if you want to fill up that way, but still a mission I know.