Cost of Events

deanmor

Do you think the cost of events is too high?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the cost of events is too high?

• Yes
    • No

Deduct the 50 odd pro teams that get free entries, and another 50 odd entries that go to land owners who allow the event to go through their estate. Then there are initiatives like Songo.info, charity auctions etc that gobbles up even more entries.

UCI sanctioning is not free, drug tests for pros is not free. Try and move 300 tons of equipment around, catering for 2000 people.

Where else do you get time splits for the full field racing on a day? I loved tracking my mates progress online and following the live commentary online.

Grandstand management has about 20 staff and probably another 20 full time consultants that works full time on the event and being the best in the business, they will get salaries that justifies that tag.

Grandstand management is not a public company and have no obligation to disclose financial information.

Market forces will dictate when the event has outpriced themselves.

CPT is cheaper, but follows the same trend with 20% year on year increases.

None of us asks Bernie Ecclestone to open up F1's books for us, but we like the entertainment every second sunday.

If you think its too expensive, don't enter - simple.

Dont forget ABSA sponsor a huge chunk so they probably pay 5 mill plus, Adidas probably chuck in a mill, Woolworths etc contribute all in all Kevin walks away with a healty profit and good luck to him he deserves it, he saw a gap and made it happen.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget ABSA sponsor a huge chunk so they probably pay 5 mill plus, Adidas probably chuck in a mill, Woolworths etc contribute all in all Kevin walks away with a healty profit and good luck to him he deserves it, he saw a gap and made it happen.

From what I heard, 2009 (the first year ABSA was on board) was the first year the Epic broke even.

We used to do an out of town race and a local race every month.

Last year I needed to cut back as I work in the mining industry and bonuses were not going to happen. So we ended up doing three out of town events.

This year we are doing two - Jhb2C and Kalahari Challenge. :clap:

Last weekend's SS race was my 1st race of the year and apart from the XC series and 94.7 I will not do any other local races.

Brass band perhaps?

I'm expecting that this year at the 94.7 as it will be my 10th :)

I'm expecting that this year at the 94.7 as it will be my 10th :)

You would'nt expect anything less :lol:

Comms sent to CSA:

Hi all,

I have some questions regarding this expenditure:

1. What is the additional R35 for?

2. What do I get for my R110?

3. Why is this process so difficult? You charge me R110 for ostensibly nothing, then proceed to burden me with bureaucratically irrelevant tasks, as detailed below.

Please note that your responses will be posted on a public forum website (https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/102091-cost-of-events/page__st__20__p__1381213__hl__costs__fromsearch__1#entry1381213).

Regards

Dean Morris

From: no-reply@cyclingsa.com [mailto:no-reply@cyclingsa.com]

Sent: 07 April 2011 02:23 PM

To: Dean Morris

Subject: CSA License / Membership Purchased

Dear Dean Morris

Congratulations on your purchase. You have successfully paid for the following item(s): (Bank Reference:CSA15247142300)

Item: CSA Membership, Year: 2011, Price: R 75,00

Item: Provincial Affiliate Fee - KwaZulu-Natal Cycling Union, Year: 2011, Price: R 35,00

You can view your CSA membership/license approval status by navigating to the Member Home page.

Please note the following process that needs to happen before final confirmation of your membership.

• Your Club needs to approve your membership to that club. – please contact them to process this application; and

• Your provincial affiliate will be required to approve your good standing after your club has approved your club membership. NOTE: there may be fees payable to your provincial affiliate – please can you enquire directly with them about this.

If you have any queries regarding MEMBERSHIP OF CSA ONLY, please contact:

membership@cyclingsa.com; or phone:

0860 022 761

Thank you for your application

The problem with cycling it is not the clubs and club members that are running the events. Cycling events are hosted by individuals/companies who are only in it to make a profit, why else would they do it?

Could anyone add to this list or put cost per/person down:

Admin Costs (ROAG)

Medical

Timing

Land Access (Usually Multiple Farmers)

Sound Hire

Marketing Costs

Course Marking (Lime, paint etc)

Course Clearing (Labour)

Water Tables

Medals / T-shirts

OK, hopefully the sponsor will pay for the T-shirts and/or medals.

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

The problem with cycling it is not the clubs and club members that are running the events. Cycling events are hosted by individuals/companies who are only in it to make a profit, why else would they do it?

Could anyone add to this list or put cost per/person down:

Admin Costs (ROAG)

Medical

Timing

Land Access (Usually Multiple Farmers)

Sound Hire

Marketing Costs

Course Marking (Lime, paint etc)

Course Clearing (Labour)

Water Tables

Medals / T-shirts

OK, hopefully the sponsor will pay for the T-shirts and/or medals.

agreed that they out to make profit, and you are missing a lot of stuff here that adds to the cost - i.e. crowd control fencing, marquee hire etc etc etc.

but, theoretically, the more entrants you have the lower your cost should be as you more people to cover the cost (unless you are starting to need double of everything). My question is therefore why are some events charging 150, while other are only charging 120. sure its only 30 bucks - but thats beside the point.

On the other hand, as long as you have the interest, you can charge what you want - correct? dont think that will hold water much longer. In years gone by, you had to enter early to make the max riders cutoff - havent seen that happen in a long time

no body forces anybody to do their events, if you can afford them dont do them.

I do events for the fun of it, I work many time more 14 hours a day, for me to pay R200 to unwind on the weekend is worth every cent, hell I would pay R500!

There should always be an estimation of late or on the day entrys, especially with organisers and events that have been running for a number of years.

Why? This is one of the reasons early entries are so expensive too. They have to factor in a "margin" because some folk can't or won't enter early. If you knew exactly how many entrants there are, you know exactly what to provide logistically. You don't have to build in "fat" for refreshments, marshals, medals etc.

cashflow goes hand in hand with this: These orginisers have to pay upfront for facilities hire, sound equipment deposits, marquees and gazebo's etc.

Furthermore there is a huge cash risk. What happens if they take 1000 entries x R200 rand. That cash is not insured and this could be a very soft target for criminals.

I think woolworths rips us off too!

and what about those cannondale guys? R90k for a mtb, how do they sleep at night?

As a small scale organiser of adventure races I wish some of you guys would take a look at the other side of a race for once before moaning. if it's so frikken easy and profitable do it yourself then. You might find that not many race organisers are driving ferraris. There's good ones and bad ones in the mix, take your pick.

From what I heard, 2009 (the first year ABSA was on board) was the first year the Epic broke even.

I heard that too, but wasn't silly enough to believe it.

Why? This is one of the reasons early entries are so expensive too. They have to factor in a "margin" because some folk can't or won't enter early. If you knew exactly how many entrants there are, you know exactly what to provide logistically. You don't have to build in "fat" for refreshments, marshals, medals etc.

cashflow goes hand in hand with this: These orginisers have to pay upfront for facilities hire, sound equipment deposits, marquees and gazebo's etc.

Furthermore there is a huge cash risk. What happens if they take 1000 entries x R200 rand. That cash is not insured and this could be a very soft target for criminals.

If it rains there will probably be no on-the-day-entries so there is no way they can estimate how many they could get

You can try justify it till you're blue in the face(no disrespect) Its crazy money, end of story for me. Just look at the state of F1, not the best example to use as its lost the appeal it once had.

I don't have to justify how I spend my money, nor does the guy who goes to Monaco for a race in stead of going to Killarney to watch the modified saloons on a Saturday morning. The point is that if the Epic was too expensive, it would not be oversubscribed every year. We pay 30% to 40% more for motor cars in SA. Are they (too)expensive? YES, compared to other countries. Do we still buy them? YES

If I paid R300 000 iso R400 000 for my last car, I would have been able to enter for the Epic, pay my partner's fees and have enough cash for 2 brand new 29'ers to ride the race with ;)

no body forces anybody to do their events, if you can afford them dont do them.

I do events for the fun of it, I work many time more 14 hours a day, for me to pay R200 to unwind on the weekend is worth every cent, hell I would pay R500!

I'm with Mark here. For many of us cycling is a recreation / sport / keep-fit and have fun activity. In my case, It's cheaper than golf and much more fun...

There are plenty of races / organised rides to choose from - in fact we're spoilt for choice - so pick the ones you really like or can afford and forget about the goodie-bag.

I' rather support well organized small races. One held in ottosdal at the beginning of the year cost R60 for 40km race. Must say that it wasn't that different in technical stuff than more expensive races. If you enter late you don't get penalized. Rather they give people that enter early a free t-shirt. For R60!!!

Cape epic at 600 teams x R30 000 = 18 000 000 000? not bad!

I am deeply sorry for my poor calculations!!!! It is however not my fault my math teacher had such a great behind!!!!