Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

TRAIL NOTICE: The new Jordan Loop is open for riding. The distance is 4.5km with two singletrack sections and jeeptrack along vineyard roads. There are some spectacular views from the top which include False Bay and the Mountain ranges from Helderberg to Simonsberg. Day permits are available from Jordan Bakery at 07h00 Mon - Fri and 07h30 on weekends. This trail opens up an exit for riders wishing to return to Overgaauw, Asara and Stellenbosch via the Stellenbosch Kloof tarred road. There is also a link to Zevenwacht and the Green Loop.

post-19597-0-60366800-1504124866_thumb.jpg

post-19597-0-53357000-1504124902_thumb.jpg

post-19597-0-71647300-1504124922_thumb.jpg

Goeie nuuus!

Blikkies ! Nou jeuk my gat.

Wag, laat ek eers met my 6de Transkaroo afreken dan is ek terug..

Yesterday I went for a after work ride to Jordan.  When I got there, the Jordan front gate was close and that was just after 5.  Can we go around it or are we not allowed to enter?

Edited by Fabio

Yesterday I went for a after work ride to Jordan.  When I got there, the Jordan front gate was close and that was just after 5.  Can we go around it or are we not allowed to enter?

You can just go around the gate. We just don't want to advertise this on the gate for security reasons.

Just make sure to be off the trails before dark. No riding with lights allowed. Riding time from sunrise to sunset. In other words, NO NIGHT RIDING.

Just make sure to be off the trails before dark. No riding with lights allowed. Riding time from sunrise to sunset. In other words, NO NIGHT RIDING.

Hi Hellwarp I'm sure this topic has been brought up, but why don't one of the farms open there doors up for night riding like Zevenwacht or Jordan, it's money for them look at Bloemendal and Meerendal always busy #semanet

Hi Hellwarp I'm sure this topic has been brought up, but why don't one of the farms open there doors up for night riding like Zevenwacht or Jordan, it's money for them look at Bloemendal and Meerendal always busy #semanet

Hi DjCyclist. The problem with night-riding is multiple.

First and foremost we're a Conservancy with a mandate to suit. Most of the fauna are night time mammals, caracal, small spotted genet, cape grysbok, duiker to name a few. Then there are a host of other night time creatures like porcupine, various owls, thick-knees (formerly spotted dikkop) frogs, mice, insects etc etc ...

Lights (especially high intensity bike lights) place these animals under stress as they associate them with humans. I can carry on about how these lights can blind animals by damaging retinas etc but I'm sure you get the just.

Secondly access control is an issue, we have enough trouble during the day, night time/after hours will complicate matters further.

Thirdly (read along with the second reason) farm security is a major issue. If we see a light at night we know it doesn't belong there, a lost cyclist or a rider taking a shortcut suddenly becomes a security issue.

Lastly the landowners simply don't want cyclists on their property at night as the trails are perfectly fine to ride during the day.

The fastest route to having these trails closed down is to allow night riding (I include organised/ guided options in this statement) and the can of worms it will open up. Thankfully we don't need to worry about that as the decision was made long ago. "No riding with lights."

Hi DjCyclist. The problem with night-riding is multiple.

First and foremost we're a Conservancy with a mandate to suit. Most of the fauna are night time mammals, caracal, small spotted genet, cape grysbok, duiker to name a few. Then there are a host of other night time creatures like porcupine, various owls, thick-knees (formerly spotted dikkop) frogs, mice, insects etc etc ...

Lights (especially high intensity bike lights) place these animals under stress as they associate them with humans. I can carry on about how these lights can blind animals by damaging retinas etc but I'm sure you get the just.

Secondly access control is an issue, we have enough trouble during the day, night time/after hours will complicate matters further.

Thirdly (read along with the second reason) farm security is a major issue. If we see a light at night we know it doesn't belong there, a lost cyclist or a rider taking a shortcut suddenly becomes a security issue.

Lastly the landowners simply don't want cyclists on their property at night as the trails are perfectly fine to ride during the day.

The fastest route to having these trails closed down is to allow night riding (I include organised/ guided options in this statement) and the can of worms it will open up. Thankfully we don't need to worry about that as the decision was made long ago. "No riding with lights."

Thanks for the feedback never thought of it that way????

Found some trees lying across the first part of the normal Ribbok ST - in the burnt area where the fire was earlier this year, but these trees were way too heavy to move by hand.

I already told Hellwrap about it, when I rode on Saturday I counted about 6 doing the extended Ribbok ST. We will no doubt see more of this as the wind finishes off the trees that burnt to death last year.

post-38519-0-87951300-1505722276_thumb.jpg

But mapstieks! That Jordan loop is spectacular!

post-38519-0-01263900-1505722478_thumb.jpg

Loved it out there this weekend.

post-38519-0-51199400-1505722492_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-08413500-1505722453_thumb.jpg