Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

At the turn off from the green route to Zevenwacht, just before Geelslang, the board, in addition to the Zevenwacht option, shows a loop down to Jordan. Nowhere else are there directions to Jordan. Does the Jordan loop exist, is it still in making, or will it not happen?

Should be open for riding within the next two weeks - loop is completed; signage being done at present.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is one able to purchase a day license in advance? I would like to purchase a ticket for a friend, but we are doing a route beforehand and entering from a location on Bottelary close to the Engen side (On Stellenbosch crossing).

Can I purchase tonight for tomorrow is the question?

Is one able to purchase a day license in advance? I would like to purchase a ticket for a friend, but we are doing a route beforehand and entering from a location on Bottelary close to the Engen side (On Stellenbosch crossing).

Can I purchase tonight for tomorrow is the question?

Jip i have done this before. bought from engen soneike, just tell them its for tomorrow.

The new Blue Loop is open for riding with a distance of around 7 km of which 5 km is singletrack.

To get to the Blue Loop:

From HAZENDAL entrance - ride up “Kaapzicht Killer”, turn left into red at the split, stay on red until you reach the row of olive trees after the vineyard "meander", from there follow the blue arrows.

From STELLENBOSCH side - ride up “Wolwedans Vastrap” climb, turn right just before the top where purple used to be, keep on going straight and enter the exit of the "old" blue route (Protea Alley). In other words Protea Alley’s direction has been reversed.

TAKE NOTE: the direction of Protea Alley has been changed and cannot be ridden as a stand alone section shortcut anymore. The entrance to "old" blue has also been closed down.

Feel free to provide feedback re signage etc. to enable us to make improvements where required.

post-19597-0-29810100-1500628822_thumb.jpg

post-19597-0-27797900-1500628833_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, anybody no if that that section outlined in white is open?

Hi Johnno. Not open yet.

Hi guys, anybody no if that that section outlined in white is open?

As Hellwarp said

Edited by dirtman

The perfect weather this weekend allowed for 2 days of awesome mtbing on Bottelary Hills. Thought I'd share some photo's of parts of the new route for those who haven't been able to do it yet.

That looks epic man, I need to go ride there!

Rode some of the blue route (and green, and red, and purple - real rainbow ride) on Saturday morning. Bit spongy at the moment, but once more wheels have been over it, it's going to be awesome (not that it isn't already). One or two nasty surprises along the way too, just to keep you going!

Did encounter some riders who were going the wrong way round, who claimed the signage showed they were meant to go that way. I think they were just not looking properly (I certainly didn't see any signage that could be confusing), but it's something to be aware of if you do plan to ride the route.

Is there an easy (legal) way to link from the new Blue route to the Yellow loop?

Rode some of the blue route (and green, and red, and purple - real rainbow ride) on Saturday morning. Bit spongy at the moment, but once more wheels have been over it, it's going to be awesome (not that it isn't already). One or two nasty surprises along the way too, just to keep you going! Did encounter some riders who were going the wrong way round, who claimed the signage showed they were meant to go that way. I think they were just not looking properly (I certainly didn't see any signage that could be confusing), but it's something to be aware of if you do plan to ride the route. Is there an easy (legal) way to link from the new Blue route to the Yellow loop?

There are a few options to link to Yellow.

Most obvious is where Purple splits off from Blue just before the Cork Screw (which is now ridden in reverse). If you follow Purple down the hair pins, you first join up with Red for some more sweeping single track. At the bottom there is another split over a dam wall that will take you to Yellow.

To get from Yellow to Blue, the gradual way up is to link back on to Red and then follow the route almost to the top of the Wolwedans Vastrap climb, where Purple splits off right. This brings you back to the point described above.

There are more direct ways to link up to the top from Yellow, some of which were part of the routes before, but I am not sure if these are still part of the official route options - Helwarp & Dirtman need to confirm.

By the way, I did ride the new Blue route the other way round just before it was officially marked and opened (misunderstood Dirtman about the intended direction).

I must say that I preferred that direction. In general the single track flowed better and the 2 really steep sections are down hill that way. Of course going down the brick paved road is a waste of hard won elevation, but there is potential to build a single track alternative. :)

Perhaps something for the future. For now we ride it as marked.