Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Unfortunately the situation in SA is a lot different from say UK and Europe where people have a right to roam and access to the hills and mountains are free for all.

In SA the public roads are about the only "place" you can access without obtaining permission. Elsewhere you are trespassing.

Scuzzy, I understand your pain with the ever increasing cost of our sport, same goes for me.

I obtained informal permission several years ago to ride on some of the farms which have now joined the trail system. I could string my own route options together as I felt like, all for free.

I have now lost this freedom and will buy an annual permit to continue riding "in my back yard".

However doing so I gain sustainable access to many more farms (where I had to trespass in the past).

Initially I almost never encountered other riders in the area or saw any other tyre tracks than my own, but recently this started to change. The landowners were being forced to act. The response could have been to lock the gate...

However, if we as the local MTB community can prove to the landowners that we can use their property in a responsible manner, more farms will come on board and join the trail system. This area has a lot of potential for MTB.

Also remember that the permit fees are NOT going into the landowner's pockets. It goes to the Bottelary Conservancy, who operate the trails.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we look at the current security and danger on the roads, is that R270 not worth wile paying to have a car free / muggings free and super enjoyable ride?

I think it will be every penny worth.

One thing to considder is to going in partnership with a coffee shop on the land and mabe get your permit stamp till you had 10 rides, get a bottomless coffee for free

This will ensure the guys do not go to mug and bean or muldersvlei, but rather spend more time on the trail, getting more bikes/members and at the end of the ride, getting the bums in the coffee shop, not only drinking coffeee, but bbuing muffins as well

""Homer = However, if we as the local MTB community can prove to the landowners that we can use their property in a responsible manner, more farms will come on board and join the trail system. This area has a lot of potential for MTB."

If we as cyclist shows these farmers that we really care, do not leave our junk on the trails, do not try and ride for free, this is the excact motorist who will care for us when we meet on the public roads.

Hi everyone, its been a long haul but here we are. The Bottelary Hills MTB Trails will be opening this coming Saturday 9th April.

Please note that permits (Annual and Day) will only be available for sale from this Thursday 7th April at the various selling points.

For more detail visit our website http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/

Please post any questions you may have on this thread.

Thanks

We are planning on trying out the Red route on Saturday morning. If I understand the web info and maps correctly, the Red route starts at the Only One Restaurant? It would be handy to add titles on the site's maps to help identify the 3 different starting points. Otherwise, great site and thanks for all the hard work to make this a reality.

I just checked the maps on the site and WOW!!! I'm not really looking for ST at the moment, more just something to cruise about. I really think this is going to be so awesome for Sunday rides with friends and family.

I love the various options of 5 loops/routes, one can have much fun deciding which is your favourite. I'm sure R270 will be great value.

We've been riding this for a while, now we need to pay.

I think it is pretty much on par with Meerendal, not as if it is the single track haven out there.

Not happy that we need to pay now, but yes, it is another option, and another R300 per year to enjoy MTB'ing.

I think you will find that a lot of work has gone into the trails. Signage, bridging areas that was not ridable, cleaning up of the riding surface, modifying boundary fences so that we can get across without damaging the fencing etc. I understood from TBMTBC that the funds will go towards expanding the trails and ensuring that the area is concerved for the future.

Having riden the scouting ride with the club, I have recognised the enormous potential immediately. If this is well supported and well managed, it will definately be one of the premier mountain biking destinations in SA in a few year's time (think Eselfontein, Mankele and the like)

I think this is a great accomplishment!

I live a few km's from all the start points, so I would be playing in my backyard! I think the permit fees are fair as I spend more money on petrol getting to Koeberg in a month if I go Saturday and Sunday!

Well done! Keep up the good work!

:)

We are planning on trying out the Red route on Saturday morning. If I understand the web info and maps correctly, the Red route starts at the Only One Restaurant? It would be handy to add titles on the site's maps to help identify the 3 different starting points. Otherwise, great site and thanks for all the hard work to make this a reality.

You can get to the red route from any of the 3 starting points - your ride will however be longer as you will add on either the yellow or green loop. If you are coming from Somerset West, you can start your ride at Middelvlei Stellenbosch and join the red route via the yellow loop.

You can get to the red route from any of the 3 starting points - your ride will however be longer as you will add on either the yellow or green loop. If you are coming from Somerset West, you can start your ride at Middelvlei Stellenbosch and join the red route via the yellow loop.

Fantasties! Ek kan nie meer wag om Saterdag so tussen die Bottelary Heuwels se 'brandewyn-bome' deur te ry nie.

As julle dieselfde ding later in die Helderberg omgewing wil aanpak, kan jy gerus op my nommer druk. Ek sal met graagte betrokke wil raak. Miskien kan die roetes later aaneen skakel? Tans ry ek feitlik daagligs tussen die wingerde in die Helderberg omgewing, maar sal dit liefs eerder amptelik wil doen.

Where exactly is Middlevlei, take a right at Distell and then somewhere behind Oude Libertas? I'll be coming from Somerset West side. Would be great if the entrance places can be named on the map.

Middelvlei also packs out a kickass saturday and sunday "boerebraai" and is a great venue if you have small kids to go for lunch as they can run amok and go for donkey cart rides etc...perfect to get them out your hair while you have lunch.

Where exactly is Middlevlei, take a right at Distell and then somewhere behind Oude Libertas? I'll be coming from Somerset West side. Would be great if the entrance places can be named on the map.

Take a right at Distell traffic lights (towards Oude Libertas Amphitheatre). Then (pay attention now) you go straight on (the road turns to the left at the top of the first little hill, if you turn right here you wll go to Bosman's Crossing). Once past that turnoff, you just keep going straight on. No turning off into any streets, right or left. Less than a 1 km and you will drive through Middelvlei's gates.

Oh, and I am now the proud owner of a few Bottelary Hills MTB bike boards :thumbup:

Edited by HomerSimpson

Great for a weekend run, but will not work for a afternoon ride.

Perhaps the trails around town will still work better for a afternoon ride.

Thanks Homer! Man, I just love it when you give directions!

I read you directions to the Gspot from another thread and they are very entertaining!

...pay attention now you go straight on. No turning off into any streets, right or left. :lol:

Great for a weekend run, but will not work for a afternoon ride.

Perhaps the trails around town will still work better for a afternoon ride.

If you're an annual permit holder you can ride from sunrise to sunset so a late afternoon ride is no problem. Middelvlei is very close to Stellenbosch.

Day permit holders are restricted a bit by the opening/closing times of the starting point permit sales. But if you bought a day permit in advance then you can also start early morning or late afternoon, just write the date you wish to ride on the permit and armband.

Edited by Hellwarp

If you're an annual permit holder you can ride from sunrise to sunset so a late afternoon ride is no problem. Middelvlei is very close to Stellenbosch.

Day permit holders are restricted a bit by the opening/closing times of the starting point permit sales. But if you bought a day permit in advance then you can also start early morning or late afternoon.

To add to my earlier reply to Tankman: This is the Google Earth Image of the road from Distell to Middelvlei

post-33-0-92279400-1302250686.jpg