Sani2C - Tyre Choice

splat

Now that this year's Sani2C is in May and hopefully out of the rainy season, what tyres are to be recommended?

I have a Maxxis Monorail/Cross mark combo

or

Conti Mountain King/Race King combo

Riders in the area -opinions ?

I've used both the monorail and crossmark. Monorail was really nice as a rear tyre. I did try it as a front and didn't issues. The C-shaped lugs seemed to dig in and provide pretty decent cornering - mostly moist ST or powdery ST here in PMB.

Do not bring a cross mark near me! I will karate chop that thing to pieces! I may just be one of those 2% of riders who have used it and who don't like it. Case closed.

I have been looking at the Race King as a rear but I don't like the Mountain King as a front. I want something a little more "free rolling" Many here in KZN have suggested the Mezecal (sp) from GEAX as a front and then your pick of small block 8, Saguaro, AKA or RK as a rear.

I'm very tempted to get the GEAX combo or maybe a Racing Ralph front and back.

I will be using Racing Ralphs front and back.

Will take a "spare" tire along which will be a nevegal, nobby nic or another racing ralph.

Conti Mountain King, back and front. Day 2 sounds like it is going to be wet, irrespective of the weather, crossing the river like 20 times or so !

I've got Specialized The Captain UST's on at the moment and very happy with them in all conditions (mainly dry so far). I am just going to leave them on for Sani.

Nobbly Nic front = awesome grip

Raching Ralphs rear = awesome performance

used this in the epic and had no problems.

Nobbly Nic front = awesome grip

Raching Ralphs rear = awesome performance

used this in the epic and had no problems.

How does that Nobby Nick roll as a general purpose marathon 45 - 70km tyre? I have a Maxxis Aspen now but wanting to move full UST tyre soon. It's a Racing Ralph at the back for sure!

The NN on the front is great, i have so much confidence in that tire round the corners, even if it doesnt roll as easy as the RR.

You can put the RR on the front and the rear, i did that for a while, but feel so much more confident with the NN on the front.

i will not touch a conti tire with a barge pole.

Had the Race King on the rear, i had 3 tires that deformed on the back wheel. Conti replaced them all, but have zero confidents in their tires after that.

but i guess its personal......

I've got Specialized The Captain UST's on at the moment and very happy with them in all conditions (mainly dry so far). I am just going to leave them on for Sani.

+1 Best tyre I have ever used. Not doing the Sani but that is the tyre I would use if I was.

Used the Conti Mtn / Race King Combo for Joburg2C last year -around the same time of year and they worked great - gonna give the same combo a go for this years Sani2C

• 2 weeks later...

Used the Conti Mtn / Race King Combo for Joburg2C last year -around the same time of year and they worked great - gonna give the same combo a go for this years Sani2C

Good to hear! I was considering whether I should change my choice but think I am gonna stick with this unless I can get an x-king for the back.

Loded bike on bike rack last night for dirtopia race today. This morning it was flat and would lose air via the valve. Took tire off and tape ws leaking air. Had new tape put on but not happy, might throw in the rim strips.

Both my tire were out of sealant and the one had the stans ball thing. This is making me nervous for the race in 2 weeks.