Garmin data - frustrating

chris_w_65

I had the same problem with my Polar RS800CX,heart rate dropping to 45bpm while in Zone 5.It got sorted after a while.I now use a Garmin Fr310xt and besides the ultimate pain to transfer data via ant agent all seems well!!I tend to think that my heart rate got to the anaerobic zone easier with the Garmin than Polar,anybody had the same experience??

All heart rate monitors have their days!

Edited by sam fisher

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All sorted, was something simple. I tightened the strap and all looks good. It was uncomfortably tight for a while but I got used to it, perhaps I can slack it off a bit and still get good readings.

I forgot to put gel on this morning as planned but now I know it is not needed.

post-18048-0-77850500-1303907520.jpg

Glad you have sorted out your problem.

Even though it only cost R30 from dischem i still use the Gel as it does help and the bottle should last months

Also the Calories burnt DOES count as i do not feel so Guilty abount the M&B slice of Choc cake afterwards

Glad you have sorted out your problem.

Even though it only cost R30 from dischem i still use the Gel as it does help and the bottle should last months

Also the Calories burnt DOES count as i do not feel so Guilty abount the M&B slice of Choc cake afterwards

For my 100km ride today it gave me 1500 calories. If I use the average speed, duration and my weight on the internet calculators I get 2500 calories. There are quite a few slices of cake between those two values ;)

For my 100km ride today it gave me 1500 calories. If I use the average speed, duration and my weight on the internet calculators I get 2500 calories. There are quite a few slices of cake between those two values ;)

You're burning no calories coz you have skinny road tyres = no resistance.

Come ride my spare mtb and REALLY burn calories. Teak Place sell cold beers, so 2 are well deserved after a good ride there with fat,knobbly MTB tyres....

hi jack (now that Chris is content ;) ) ... another interesting phenominon : i get 3 different elevation readings between garmin training centre, garmin connect (elevation correction turned off) and sport tracks ... any one else notice this or know which is more accurate?

How do you copy the graphs from the garmin site?

Program called Gadwin Printscreen, just hit the printscreen button on my keyboard and then highlight the area I want to copy with my mouse and paste it where I want it. Windows 7 has something similar ("snipping tool") but I just find this easier.

Edited by chris_w_65

What intensity were you riding at?

gradient of the road?

what was your heart rate throughout the workout?

how fit are your?

what does your bike and gear weigh?

wind resistance?

rolling resistance?

Vo2max?

Age?

Max heart rate?

Oxygen consumption?

If the calculator does not know those things ... calories is just a thumbsuck ... go ahead have two more slices of cake ;)

hi jack (now that Chris is content ;) ) ... another interesting phenominon : i get 3 different elevation readings between garmin training centre, garmin connect (elevation correction turned off) and sport tracks ... any one else notice this or know which is more accurate?

Garmin Connect because it calculates the elevation from professionally surveyed topographical maps using your route as a reference. Whilst your Garmin uses satellite signals to calculate it which is less accurate, this is what you see on training center. There is an option to enable or disable the elevation correction on Garmin Connect I would suggest enabling it. The correction is quite large depending on the model of your garmin and whether it incorporates maps or not. Theoretically this is because it can make its own correct off the map data loaded on it.

Garmin Connect because it calculates the elevation from professionally surveyed topographical maps using your route as a reference. Whilst your Garmin uses satellite signals to calculate it which is less accurate, this is what you see on training center. There is an option to enable or disable the elevation correction on Garmin Connect I would suggest enabling it. The correction is quite large depending on the model of your garmin and whether it incorporates maps or not. Theoretically this is because it can make its own correct off the map data loaded on it.

I've found that the autocorrect removes some of the finer details of the elevation profile e.g. the crest of some hills are no longer smooth after correction. I presume this is because the topo maps have a lower resolution than the Garmin (e.g. contours every 10m elevation vs data points every second). The absolute elevation numbers may be more accurate, but the relative elevation profile (which is really what I'm interested in) loses detail.

Of course, my Garmin uses barometric altitude so the above may not be true for one that uses GPS altitude alone.

The elevation correction plugin in SportTracks also makes a difference ... dont know which offers the most accurate data though?

I'm not too sure that enabling the correction is the right thing to do. when readin the help on garmin connect it specifically says that this feature outside of the US may not be accurate (as you rightfully mention that it uses geographical surveyed points, but who nows how well that data is maintained?). I'm going to compare the 3 versions to that stated as official ascent for sani2c (again who knows how they measure that???) and revert with my findings for those interested.

Damn Garmin. Faulty data again today after perfect data on Wednesday. I had the strap adjusted the same and was wearing the same clothing. I will give it a try with gel tomorrow

My Garmin still hopelessly under reads calories burnt. I know the "activity level" that you enter from 1 - 10 relates to the calorie calculation. I have mine set on 7/10. Does anyone know if I should lower or raise that to try and get higher calorie readings from the same exercise?

Average speed = 27km/h, weight = 66kg, duration = 2:47 - Calories burnt = 816 :unsure:

post-18048-0-84391900-1304162957.jpg

Edited by chris_w_65