What are the best MTB wheels?

Stevief

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, Shimano wheels are good, but heavy for what you get with average at best engagement rate.

Hope Pro-II hubs are light and affordable, their engagement rate is not the best, worse than I-9, but definitely my second choice for hubs, only slightly heavier than the I-9's.

You can obviously always go Chris King, which is the hub always used to compare I-9 to.

what on earth is "engagement rate" never heard of that, please educate

Hope II Hubs, Stans Rims, DT Swiss Spokes. Get it built up. Budget on R3500 all in.

Got to vote for this one aswell. :thumbup:

Upgrade on this is DT 240 hubs with areolite spokes on the same rims.

What is your weight? You don't have to tell but if you are a big guy like me, forget about any Mavic. Mavic has got a weight limit on them and I broke my back wheel about 3 weeks ago.

I now have ZTR Alpine with A2Z Hubs. Bulletproof!!

What is your weight? You don't have to tell but if you are a big guy like me, forget about any Mavic. Mavic has got a weight limit on them and I broke my back wheel about 3 weeks ago.

Im 73kg ride a 26 giant trance, i ride very rocky technical stuff( jonkerhoek, tokai, signal hill etc) and lots of races. Hell chaps you guys have made me more confused than ever, basically need a wheelset thats strong and light but not to light that it will break but light enough for me to justify buying a new set.

Hope II Hubs, Stans Rims, DT Swiss Spokes. Get it built up. Budget on R3500 all in.

Where!? That's a good price!

Im 73kg ride a 26 giant trance, i ride very rocky technical stuff( jonkerhoek, tokai, signal hill etc) and lots of races. Hell chaps you guys have made me more confused than ever, basically need a wheelset thats strong and light but not to light that it will break but light enough for me to justify buying a new set.

Im 80kg and also ride a Giant Trance, Ive got ZTR 355 with Hope hub on the front and DT Swiss on the rear. I also like the rocky technical stuff and race and have found no problems. They are strong, light and can take a beating :)

Where!? That's a good price!

I was thinking the same thing :o and was about R1500 more expensive, I also got all my parts for the wheel build from CRC(and I already had a rear hub)

OK so for a 88kg oke, American Classic & Mavics are out - confirm? What others do I need to steer clear of?

I'm looking for a fast wheelset for your typical SA marathon terrain.

Stevief, apologies for the mini highjack, but I reckon this still ties in with your original question. Larger guys need to know which super light wheelsets to watch out for...

Edited by tombeej

OK so for a 88kg oke, American Classic & Mavics are out - confirm? What others do I need to steer clear of?

I'm looking for a fast wheelset for your typical SA marathon terrain.

Stevief, apologies for the mini highjack, but I reckon this still ties in with your original question. Larger guys need to know which super light wheelsets to watch out for...

Nooit

I hover between 90 -95 kg 6'3.5" and never had a problem with 2 sets of Crossmax

Then the ZTR Alpine wil be more that sufficient. To be honest. I am 1.9m and weigh a big staggering 120kg's. Im am still losing (or trying) weight. Hoping to reach 110kg's. You actually should not have a problem with Mavics though. According to my LBS Mavics has a weight limit of 85kg's. The ZTR Alpine's are really light rims and, like I said... Bulletproof.

Nooit

I hover between 90 -95 kg 6'3.5" and never had a problem with 2 sets of Crossmax

I think the weight limit of 85kg's on Mavics is just to protect themselves from big guys like me who wants to put in a claim. :blink:

120-125kg's I a hell of a lot heavier that 90-95kg's. :blush: Mavics is really not for me.

I think the weight limit of 85kg's on Mavics is just to protect themselves from big guys like me who wants to put in a claim. :blink:

120-125kg's I a hell of a lot heavier that 90-95kg's. :blush: Mavics is really not for me.

:o :o :o

Surly Pugsly for you

price/gram - good wheels!