What are the best MTB wheels?

Stevief

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently ride the crankbrothers cobalt's. They arent bad and looks great on the bike. However, i had to replace the freewheelbody after 500km even though that wheelset never saw wet track in its life. My favourite still is the mavic SLR's

so you reckon stay clear of the cobalts? they look so hot though!! but want a long lasting set of wheels :D

so you reckon stay clear of the cobalts? they look so hot though!! but want a long lasting set of wheels :D

+1

I like and am tempted. I now demand something that will match my Hope Pro II's!

You might find this hub shoot-out interesting:

http://www.dropmachine.com/Reviews/hub-showdown-chris-king-hadley-industry-nine-dt-stealth-and-hope-a581.html

Hubs reviewed in this article:

Chris Kings

I9

DT 240

Hope Pro 2

True Precision Stealth

Hadley

Back to that question about engagement points:

The more engagement points in a hub, the quicker the wheel responds when you push down on the crank (much more direct connection between pedal push and forward movement). A hub with few engagement points feels like it has a a little bit of 'play' when you push your foot down before it actually engages and sends you forward. As I understand it, people who do trials and seriously technical start/stop stuff need a high engagement hub. Apparently a high engagement hub will also help your balance on technical climbs when you need to stop pedaling/hesitate and then re-engage when making your way through things.

Edited by tombeej

Then the ZTR Alpine wil be more that sufficient. To be honest. I am 1.9m and weigh a big staggering 120kg's. Im am still losing (or trying) weight. Hoping to reach 110kg's. You actually should not have a problem with Mavics though. According to my LBS Mavics has a weight limit of 85kg's. The ZTR Alpine's are really light rims and, like I said... Bulletproof.

I am very surprised about the 85kg weight limit on the Mavics. I have a set of Crosstrail ST`s (tubeless

) on my bike which have completed approx 8,500 km of hard riding and stage racing and they still run perfectly true. I weigh 95kg in my bday suit.

My only gripe with mavic is the freehub design which tends to develop a lot of play over time. They are very easy to service and replace though. The engagement is also a bit slow for my liking. This is ok for XC but I would go for a faster engagement hub if you do a lot of trails and technical riding. I still rate them as my best wheels ever.

I am very surprised about the 85kg weight limit on the Mavics. I have a set of Crosstrail ST`s (tubeless

) on my bike which have completed approx 8,500 km of hard riding and stage racing and they still run perfectly true. I weigh 95kg in my bday suit.

My only gripe with mavic is the freehub design which tends to develop a lot of play over time. They are very easy to service and replace though. The engagement is also a bit slow for my liking. This is ok for XC but I would go for a faster engagement hub if you do a lot of trails and technical riding. I still rate them as my best wheels ever.

I am not sure how much truth there is in the 85kg's weight limit though because nowhere on any review or on the Mavic site I could find anything regarding a weight limit. I was purely stating something that my LBS said to me. And he is a really trusty and helpful guy. I think that, if it is true, it would be more of a safety measurement for a LBS or Mavic itself, just to make sure that (like I stated earlier) a big oke like me does not put them under any claim commitments that is not fair.

I did not have the Crossmax though. I also had the Crosstrails and one of the spokes sheared out of the rim, cracking it badly. My LBS are replacing the rim and repairing the wheel as we speak. And then it will be up for sale because there is big nasty thundercloud hanging above my head with Stans ZTR Alpine lightning spiking me in the back. But ja... I could not resist buying them. At least the problem is solved and I can still enjoy my MTB. :thumbup:

I am not sure how much truth there is in the 85kg's weight limit though because nowhere on any review or on the Mavic site I could find anything regarding a weight limit. I was purely stating something that my LBS said to me. And he is a really trusty and helpful guy. I think that, if it is true, it would be more of a safety measurement for a LBS or Mavic itself, just to make sure that (like I stated earlier) a big oke like me does not put them under any claim commitments that is not fair.

I did not have the Crossmax though. I also had the Crosstrails and one of the spokes sheared out of the rim, cracking it badly. My LBS are replacing the rim and repairing the wheel as we speak. And then it will be up for sale because there is big nasty thundercloud hanging above my head with Stans ZTR Alpine lightning spiking me in the back. But ja... I could not resist buying them. At least the problem is solved and I can still enjoy my MTB. :thumbup:

Sorry, typing error, my wheels are actually Crossmax ST, not Crosstrail as stated. Can`t really comment on the Crosstrails.

Sorry, typing error, my wheels are actually Crossmax ST, not Crosstrail as stated. Can`t really comment on the Crosstrails.

My son is running the Cross Trails and they are full UST and super strong.Just a bit heavier

Nice price too

My son is running the Cross Trails and they are full UST and super strong.Just a bit heavier

Nice price too

If they was so super strong, it would not have happened what had happened to me. And no... I was not riding like a maniac. Just the normal cross country. So my opinion...:thumbdown:::thumbdown:: for Crostrail.

Edited by Burts

what on earth is "engagement rate" never heard of that, please educate

It is the rate at which you recieve proposals from strange women when riding mentioned hubs.

Edited by YUMEYA

One other question for the heavier rider (85kg+) looking for "as light and fast as possible, but strong enough":

Is a 32h rear wheel still ok or so people recommend going to 36?

Please confuse me more!!! I am in the market for MTB Wheels, I am 105 kg my budget is R 3800.00 I am looking at FSA XC 500 Tubeless Wheels. Is there a better wheel for that price? I do a lot of jeeptrack and 20% singletrack....help me spent the money :lol:

+1

great because they are also TRUE UST, which means you can inflate your tyres without sealant and hence when you do put sealant in its used to plug punctures and not wasted on trying to hold the tyre on the rim with some (poorly executed?) conversions.

+1 great set of wheels. Replacement spokes are expensive though!!

Hope II hubs, Stans ZTR rims, DT Swiss Spokes. Get them off chainreaction and have them built locally. That is the best value for money in this price range.

+1 great set of wheels. Replacement spokes are expensive though!!

How much are the spokes? Have you replaced some ? Thanks for the tumbs up on this one....