What do you wish you had known in the beginning?

Ollie

With hindsight, what are the things you wish you had known right at the start of your endeavour into cycling? Tips/tricks you eventually discovered through experience, the advice of more advanced riders, or blind luck? Valuable nuggets that would have improved performance or overall enjoyment if only you had known?

I did the Argus in 2008 (not particularly fast), went on a bit of a hiatus and now wish to do a sub-3 for 2012. With just over 1000km done from 2007 to now, I am effectively a novice -- so those like myself could benefit a great deal from a thread like this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a lot easier to do a sub 3 from group C than it is from group L, so get SUPER fit asap and get some cracker results at as many of the seeding races as you can.

Pray that there is no wind on the day of the 2012 Argus.

Guest agteros

Building up miles/time by riding every (other) day (or regularly), is of more benefit than chasing miles haphazardly, IE days without training, and then doing mega miles over the weekends to wipe out the 'deficit'

It's a lot easier to do a sub 3 from group C than it is from group L, so get SUPER fit asap and get some cracker results at as many of the seeding races as you can.

Pray that there is no wind on the day of the 2012 Argus.

For fitness I'm trying to get at least three spinning sessions per week, together with as many kms as possible on the MTB when I can. I'm doing all of the PPA MTB events now, although they're the medium-distance rides as I don't think I have the legs for > 40km off road yet. My plan is to try to do well enough in these events to get into a decent bunch for the Burger. I'm in Q now, so I have a long, tough road ahead of me.

Intervals, intervals, intervals and more intervals - and buy the best and lightest bike you can afford and don't skimp on kit (shoes, bibs etc) - good kit lasts longer and is more economical in the long run.

A good pair of bibs. Worth the price you pay once you start logging the high miles. Never stop cycling or take extended breaks from riding.