• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

FFS ... who rides Jeep Track!

A lot of people, Hairy... I was actually quite perturbed at the amount of jeeptrack warriors in Tokai the other day. Bypassing DH3/Meurants/DH4/Roots and rather doing the JT all the way down.

NOOOOOOO!

yeah indeed, it is rather scary to see how fast these guys come down the jeep track, i would rather do that down some single track. I use the jeep track for climbing and walking...

Oh what a cute kitty... erm ... baby... erm.... nibble

Wonder if the presenter would have cackled so much if it was her baby?

Edited by RoboCyclist

Thanks - so really just up into what is now the business park... Watched a lot of video of the old layout - had a lot more character back then.

I'll never forget Nigel Mansell's qualifying run at the 1985 GP, when he ran wide coming out of Leeukop and kept his foot down while running on the dirt until he regained the track at The Kink. We thought he'd binned the lap when he disappeared in a cloud of dust, but then he re-emerged and took pole instead!

I stopped a couple of years ago at the top of the circuit (the entrance off Cedar Road, where the North entrance used to be) and could still see the remains of the old straight. It was quite poignant, thinking of the legendary cars and drivers that had performed (and died) there. The guys who used to race at the old track still say Kyalami was great until they started "turning left" at Leeukop. Now it's just a sad relic of the past, hidden between corporate bomas and office blocks. Dave McGregor and his cronies really destroyed what used to be a legend among the world's GP circuits (and a really great long distance race circuit too).

Ok, who remembers the old track at Grand central ?

I was 12 years old when I rode by bicycle from Modderfontein to Grand Central along the dirt roads though Limbro Park to watch John Love in his D Type Jaguar win there. (19th March 1960 - Google is majic for memories)

post-63-0-35853400-1338565577.jpg

Edited by The Guy in Pink

I'll never forget Nigel Mansell's qualifying run at the 1985 GP, when he ran wide coming out of Leeukop and kept his foot down while running on the dirt until he regained the track at The Kink. We thought he'd binned the lap when he disappeared in a cloud of dust, but then he re-emerged and took pole instead!

I stopped a couple of years ago at the top of the circuit (the entrance off Cedar Road, where the North entrance used to be) and could still see the remains of the old straight. It was quite poignant, thinking of the legendary cars and drivers that had performed (and died) there. The guys who used to race at the old track still say Kyalami was great until they started "turning left" at Leeukop. Now it's just a sad relic of the past, hidden between corporate bomas and office blocks. Dave McGregor and his cronies really destroyed what used to be a legend among the world's GP circuits (and a really great long distance race circuit too).

I've had similar experiences walking around what remains of Roy Hesketh in Maritzburg and Westmead in Pinetown, trying to pick out what remains of the tracks. I remember quite a few of the greats doing their thing on both tracks - cars and bikes, local and international. Like The Guy in Pink, I remember John Love dominating the local scene - I have lots of black-and-white negatives of him in his F1 car (Lotus, IIRC).

I know we are not supposed to post full nudity, but here goes.

http://www.meh.ro/original/2010_05/meh.ro4347.png

I know we are not supposed to post full nudity, but here goes.

http://www.meh.ro/original/2010_05/meh.ro4347.png

:clap:

Steak sauce!