• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

The annoying thing about that pic is that it was taken 2 years ago for the 20th anniversary ;)

Oh. Did not know that. Sorry ;(

but the dude is wearing clothes ?

Being a wee tot and naked is ok, when 22, not so much and would require a parental advisory me thinks :)

Anyone know where this could be?? Apparently somewhere in Joburg...

http://www.noorderlicht.com/assets/image-650-488/motorcycle-scrapyard-johannesbury-city-centre-south-africa.001.jpg

Bike Hospital, End Street, City & Suburban, Jhb. Streeview pic:

Probably-the-New-world-record-of-the-biggest-wave-surfed.jpg

Mavericks??? I'd love to go there.

BTW Uni, that pic of the Nirvana cover model. Thanks, as if I wasn't feeling old enough after just turning 50, def makes me feel old

Taking that pic affect him that badly?

Kevin, according to some of the people who worked with him, was a sensitive soul. He was also a troubled soul. The attention that pic garnered helped drive him over the edge. He took a lot of criticism for not "saving" the child. That, frankly, was not his job. It wasn't the only thing that affected him. He had loads going on in his private life. He was broke, couldn't pay for his kids, couldn't afford rent. Really sad.

Guest Omega Man

That's not Mavericks. It's in Portugal. Dunno the name of the spot but it's where Carlos Burle rode that giant wave a few weeks ago.

That's not Mavericks. It's in Portugal. Dunno the name of the spot but it's where Carlos Burle rode that giant wave a few weeks ago.

Nazare?

Mavericks is quite far off-shore. Outside Half-Moon Bay if my memory of riding Giants is right.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Guest Omega Man

Nazare?

Mavericks is quite far off-shore. Outside Half-Moon Bay if my memory of riding Giants is right.

That's right. I think the camera angle distorts the pic of Nazare TBH. I doubt it breaks as close to shore as the picture indicates.

I've got a mate who's ridden Jaws on Maui. He reckons what you see is only 5% of the ordeal. He reckons theres a 40 minute jetski run (Usually in the dark) just to get to the lineup and then you are jockeying in the lineup with a whole lot of other dudes who are paid to get their pics in the magazines.

Jetski's don't make it easy. They just make it possible.

That's right. I think the camera angle distorts the pic of Nazare TBH. I doubt it breaks as close to shore as the picture indicates.

I've got a mate who's ridden Jaws on Maui. He reckons what you see is only 5% of the ordeal. He reckons theres a 40 minute jetski run (Usually in the dark) just to get to the lineup and then you are jockeying in the lineup with a whole lot of other dudes who are paid to get their pics in the magazines.

Jetski's don't make it easy. They just make it possible.

Jaws is just frigging scary to look at! Wasn't it Chris Bertish who stunned the surfing world some years back by paddling in there?

Guest Omega Man

Jaws is just frigging scary to look at! Wasn't it Chris Bertish who stunned the surfing world some years back by paddling in there?

I don't know. For the life of me I don't know how you'd possibly paddle in there. It's moving so fast.

My mate Gigs reckons it's like Cave Rock just supersized. Anyone who's surfed Cave Rock knows just how heavy that is. And instead of the guys paddling around the lineup jockeying for waves there's jetski's jockeying for waves.

And don't think that jetski's are cheating. That thing weighs over 600kg and all it want's to do is ride you over.

Edited by Omega Man

I don't know. For the life of me I don't know how you'd possibly paddle in there. It's moving so fast.

My mate Gigs reckons it's like Cave Rock just supersized. Anyone who's surfed Cave Rock knows just how heavy that is. And instead of the guys paddling around the lineup jockeying for waves there's jetski's jockeying for waves.

And don't think that jetski's are cheating. That thing weighs over 600kg and all it want's to do is ride you over.

I would never dare suggest it's cheating! It's merely getting to a speed to match that of the wave. Making a drop that big that big is just insane, and not the thing that mere mortals like me would even attempt.

I tried to surf Cave Rock once, many years ago, and got such a hiding on my first wave that I just got out of the water. Just way, way too fast-moving for the crap surfer I was.

Guest Omega Man

I would never dare suggest it's cheating! It's merely getting to a speed to match that of the wave. Making a drop that big that big is just insane, and not the thing that mere mortals like me would even attempt.

I tried to surf Cave Rock once, many years ago, and got such a hiding on my first wave that I just got out of the water. Just way, way too fast-moving for the crap surfer I was.

Haha. I remember when I was waaaay younger. I thought I was a bit of a badass. We went up to Durban for SA Champs. Paddled out at Cave rock in a pair of Dayglo Boardies and Dayglo rash vest with an attitude to match. Needless to say Cave rock Spanked me, snapped my leash and undressed me. All in one swift movement. I spent 20 minutes fishing around on the inside for my boardshorts.