I seriously suck with hills, but why?

Firstly there is a difference between fat and heavy...

Like somebody already said, not everybody is a climber! either you can or you can't. If you want to make it easier, ride hills more often, hit the gym and train those legs and most important of all, find the rythym! Experiment with the gearing and find the right one for you. Spinning is better than grinding a big gear. You need to do enough to survive to the top of the hill and enjoy the descent!

Most of all, don't stress about it. If you are racing for money then stress. Otherwise have fun!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed! I call Kyalami "the doctor"

Anyone remember when we used to race at Kyalami on Tuesday(or was it wednesday) evenings? That was training!

do some leg work.

build some strength in your legs.

Recover/rest well and hit the hill again!

pace yourself!

Get your power to weight ratio higher and make hill repeats/intervalls part of your weekly training

if you only train 3 days a week, make 1 of those 3/4 hill repeats of at least 7 mins or longer

do it for 4 weeks and report back........ you'd be pleasantly surprised.

PM if you want more proof of how this helped me improve over 4 mins on a specific hill

I'm 93, 6.1" and will still give the 10 year old boys (a.k.a men who just haven't gone past puberty yet, who the **** are you to call someone 84 kilos fat @velo???) a good run for their money up the hills.

Geez, you're still doing well for your age!

Hills are all about power to weight so you can either lose weight, or get more powerful -- it is that simple (well, the theory is). Go to cadencecycling.co.za for modern theory on training or even better, if you live in Durban or Hillcrest, do one of their courses (they have two branches -- Dbn North or Hillcrest).

I have, and my times on an eight-minute hill is over a minute faster (8:11) to 7:05) ... their courses are based to your fitness and power so it is not a one-size-fits-all approach, but you do it in a class environment. You do a power test which then determines you training for the course, then the eight or nine week course. Another power test at the end allows you to see if you improved.

I honestly think it is the most effective training I have ever done - spend less time training and got better results. They have one guy whose power increased by over 30% on a eight-week course (mine went up by over 15%).

PS: I have no reason to promote their courses other than they have worked for me.

It might sounds slightly masochistic but every drop of sweat in training makes for a more comfortable ride/race.

Lets be honest spending 4 hours on a hard saddle over rocks, roots and mud while pedaling so hard you can hear your heart beating over your Ipod is more than slightly masochistic...

I guess masochist and cyclist are interchangeable then?