Slipping Gears

LukeV-2

Hi Guys

So i got and old Trek that was my bike before i purchased a new one and my one mate is currently using it to see if he'd like to get into the sport.

But THE GEARS WONT STOP SLIPPING on any incline he goes on, no matter what gear. And its not even when he's changing gears on the incline, its just normal riding.

Took it to a guy in pretoria, got it back and nothing has changed. (he is close to a near death experience cos he charged me R500 and did JACK S#*T!!!

HELP GUYS

Sweet!=)

does it slip or jump around?if its slipping then somethings worn out. what happened to me is that i had new x0 casette, x0 rear derailure and new chainrings and new pg990 chain. when i really hit the power it would slip. I changed to a xtr chain and problem was gone.

Could be a slack/worn out chain or worn out cassette or chainset.

To the eye it may look fine but there probably is an issue there.

Cheers,

does it slip or jump around?if its slipping then somethings worn out. what happened to me is that i had new x0 casette, x0 rear derailure and new chainrings and new pg990 chain. when i really hit the power it would slip. I changed to a xtr chain and problem was gone.

I had the same, jumping when I apply power, but on X7. I took it to the LBS, dude told me something (rear der?) was out of alignment and fixed it for R100. I have not had an issue again,, but have no idea how to fix it though...sorry :blush:

I had the same, jumping when I apply power, but on X7. I took it to the LBS, dude told me something (rear der?) was out of alignment and fixed it for R100. I have not had an issue again,, but have no idea how to fix it though...sorry :blush:

Might've been a bent hanger. Very common. Easy to bend back into shape.

Might've been a bent hanger. Very common. Easy to bend back into shape.

Probably....started just after a section of singletrack with long grass and some hidden rocks just off the track. I did knock e few of them. :blush:

Probably....started just after a section of singletrack with long grass and some hidden rocks just off the track. I did knock e few of them. :blush:

Haha! For sure. Sometimes simply dumping the bike to the side during a crash will do it. If you use a Camelbak, it's useful to have a spare hanger in it.

Thanx guys. Yea may be the chain, but the guy sevicing it at the lbs shoulda picked that up dont u think? just has the hanger replaced cos i snapped it (while in the lead of an adventure race)!!! but anyway.. any suggestions on what to do? *** out the lbs owner?

did he measure the chain for wear? also, if a new chain is placed on a very old casette it will also slip. does it slip in the front or rear?

I've currently got the same problem. I've replaced my Rear derailleur with a short arm X7 and also my chain, the chain was too long so I shortened the new chain, but I noticed the link is a bit harder to bend where I broke and connected the chain again. It's currently settling, so less slipping at the moment.

the rear hey pablo. i dunno what he did. its a long story! i just wish guys would do their jobs properly, its the main reason i took the bike for a service and he didnt even fix it!!!

Gears can slip for two reasons.

1) The chain and sprocket is out of pitch and the chain thus skips (rides) over the teeth of the sprocket. This in spite of the chain being positioned by the jockey, right over the releveant gear. This condition is not noticeable in teh workshop on the workstand. It won't skip here but requires some torque, such as when pushing up a hill. This is known as skating and is caused by a new chain on a cassette with one or more worn sprockets. The solution is to change the cassette.

2) The chain dances between two or more adjacent gears. This is caused by poor derailer adjustment and should be corrected by proper adjustment. A worn chain or sprocket or cables will not cause this. This is evident in theh workshop and can be rreplicated on the workstand.

Old cables will cause poor or sluggish shifting but not skating or dancing.

A bent hanger causes what aappears to be erratic shifting. However, once you analyse the shifting you'll see that in the high gear and its one or two adjacent gears, the system will shift perfectly but shifting will become progressively worse as you go towards the low gear on the rear sprocket. It isn't erratic but progressively worse at one end of the cassette.

This is very typical of a bent derailer or bent jockey cage. It requires a special tool to correct (and often a new hanger isn't enough, since the frame may be a bit bent as well).

Edited by Johan Bornman

Gears can slip for two reasons.

1) The chain and sprocket is out of pitch and the chain thus skips (rides) over the teeth of the sprocket. This in spite of the chain being positioned by the jockey, right over the releveant gear. This condition is not noticeable in teh workshop on the workstand. It won't skip here but requires some torque, such as when pushing up a hill. This is known as skating and is caused by a new chain on a cassette with one or more worn sprockets. The solution is to change the cassette.

2) The chain dances between two or more adjacent gears. This is caused by poor derailer adjustment and should be corrected by proper adjustment. A worn chain or sprocket or cables will not cause this. This is evident in theh workshop and can be rreplicated on the workstand.

Old cables will cause poor or sluggish shifting but not skating or dancing.

A bent hanger causes what aappears to be erratic shifting. However, once you analyse the shifting you'll see that in the high gear and its one or two adjacent gears, the system will shift perfectly but shifting will become progressively worse as you go towards the low gear on the rear sprocket. It isn't erratic but progressively worse at one end of the cassette.

This is very typical of a bent derailer or bent jockey cage. It requires a special tool to correct (and often a new hanger isn't enough, since the frame may be a bit bent as well).

Thanx for this usefull info!! I've have the problem that the chain is skipping. Now I know exactly what to do.

Go and buy a new chain a new cassette and new chainrings ....... Problem solved!

Go and buy a new chain a new cassette and new chainrings ....... Problem solved!

Your advice is not useful and smells just like bike-shop advice. A new bike is also a solution, may as well get a different wheel size whilst you're at it. However, most of us would prefer to hone in on the problem and only replace what's neccessary.