looking to build a crest 29er wheelset

wapad

I am looking to build a 29er Crest cw hope hubs and DT Swiss comp spokes I was wondering about weight limits.

Are there any hubbers in that weight cat that have this build, my understanding is that the wheel will be built to match my weight

Also what sort of weight does a wheelset like that come in I have heard in the 1600g region is that true, am currently using the stock set that comes on the Anthem 29er and must say not bad, compared to the reports on bikeradar...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also in the market for an upgrade to my Anthem 29er wheels but I just want to lace a decent set of rims to the existing hubs. looking to decide what rims will best serve my purpose. Weight not the main factor but reliability is important. Will watch the replies you get.

I reckon that they will be closer to 1700g (less if you use alu nipples instead of brass).

I think the stock Giant wheels are close to 2.0kg. (see here)

The ZTR Crest wheelset has a weight limit of 190lb according to the notubes website.

If I was to build wheels, I would use ZTR Arch rims for strength and reliability because I weigh 100kg. Those would come out @ about 1900g, so I wouldn't save much weight.

Oh, and all the nicest wheel components are worth nothing if you dont get a decent wheel builder to lace them up for you.

Edited by splat

I'm also in the market for an upgrade to my Anthem 29er

A 26er is probably a good option?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!) ;)

Edited by Martin Hattingh

I'm also an Anthem 29er owner

IMO the stock wheels are not bad at all. I've made them tubeless. (Wide yellow tape and valves only - with Crossmark UST tyres) NO issues at all.

I've decided to use the stock wheels until I've lost enough weight. (Was 105 - now 95, still a long way to go)

I'v put anthem 29er (ones with DT swiss rear hub) stock wheels on my XTC hardtail. i weighted them on the same scale, next to american classic 29er tubeless, in the shop. The Anthem wheels were exactly 90 grams heavier. On that scale the AC's were 1700g and the anthem wheels 1790g.

I have the crests, and only use the yellow tape. The problem is that the tape seems to "crease/fold" over time and eventually it sounds like air is coming through the valve. Would you run yours with yellow tape or a proper stans rim strip? (Assuming you going tubeless)

I have the crests, and only use the yellow tape. The problem is that the tape seems to "crease/fold" over time and eventually it sounds like air is coming through the valve. Would you run yours with yellow tape or a proper stans rim strip? (Assuming you going tubeless)

I'v put anthem 29er (ones with DT swiss rear hub) stock wheels on my XTC hardtail. i weighted them on the same scale, next to american classic 29er tubeless, in the shop. The Anthem wheels were exactly 90 grams heavier. On that scale the AC's were 1700g and the anthem wheels 1790g.

I weighed my anthem wheels and have them at just over 2000g

In answer to @nobodys question I would run them with just the yellow tape.

Somebody PMed me and spoke about loadedusa wheelsets I see they have the eyelets does anybody know if they are locally available and the cost of the rims

Its seems the general consensus is to stay away from the crest has anybody had any problems with them.

I am looking to build a 29er Crest cw hope hubs and DT Swiss comp spokes I was wondering about weight limits.

Are there any hubbers in that weight cat that have this build, my understanding is that the wheel will be built to match my weight

Also what sort of weight does a wheelset like that come in I have heard in the 1600g region is that true, am currently using the stock set that comes on the Anthem 29er and must say not bad, compared to the reports on bikeradar...

hi Darren,

Roger here, bought some brakes from you just before the Argus. Hope ur well, I changed from my Giant wheels on my Anthem X 29er to American Classics. Weight saving was 380grams, thats all. I also have the ZTR 29er crests, Hope hubs ect (buycycle web site specials) R4999.00. Am Classics slightly lighter and come with factory rim strip. Weight limit 105kg's.

Probably just confused you? Cheers

hi Darren,

Roger here, bought some brakes from you just before the Argus. Hope ur well, I changed from my Giant wheels on my Anthem X 29er to American Classics. Weight saving was 380grams, thats all. I also have the ZTR 29er crests, Hope hubs ect (buycycle web site specials) R4999.00. Am Classics slightly lighter and come with factory rim strip. Weight limit 105kg's.

Probably just confused you? Cheers

Hey Dodger so which do you rate better

Ja can go AM Classics but was looking at a custom build I had AM Classics and no complaints at all but have been led to believe hand built is better

380 grams is actually quite a bit I would use them as pure race wheels that would bring my bike well under 12kgs

Anyway keep well

The trick is to first clean your rim with "disk brake cleaner" or similar. (must not leave oil behind)

Install Stans yellow tape.

Trim hole away for valve.

!!!! NB - Re-install tube and inflate to max pressure.

Wait 20 minutes - this will ensure that the tape will not come loose.

Deflate - remove tube - and complete tubeless conversion.

Does anyone know what the ZTR Crest or Arch wheelset costs ?

i.e. Wheelset made by notubes with ZTR hubs and rims etc.

Edit:

Found a price: about R4500.00 @ Buycycle

Edited by splat

Hey Dodger so which do you rate better

Ja can go AM Classics but was looking at a custom build I had AM Classics and no complaints at all but have been led to believe hand built is better

380 grams is actually quite a bit I would use them as pure race wheels that would bring my bike well under 12kgs

Anyway keep well

'

In last months Bike Radars mag "what mountain bike", the Editor rates the Am Classics 29er's the stiffest, best build quality and best price 29er wheels he's tested.

I find their reviews very accurate and helpful, he has over 26 years experience in testing MTB.

Good luck

Does anyone know what the ZTR Crest or Arch wheelset costs ?

i.e. Wheelset made by notubes with ZTR hubs and rims etc.

Edit:

Found a price: about R4500.00 @ Buycycle

that is a good price and that wheelset is great because it has the DT Swiss competition spoke which are stronger than the revo's

I see it has a weight limit which is odd because the wheelset with the Hope hubs which use revo spokes doesnt

I think at the end of the day it comes down to how you use them

wrt price to have set of those built will cost in the region of 6 grand -+ R500 with hope hubs and DT Swiss spokes

Nobody seems to be raving about the crest or any of the stan's rims for that matter I have had quite a few PM's pointing me in all sorts of directions

Anyway thanks for the inputs