Reasonable bike service

ysbeer

I took my Zula recently to John O connor cycles for a full service. Had a great experience there. The guys were professional and helpfull.

I think the service was 290, then the bb and headset were 80 each, then the linkage was 250. They also replaced all the cables, gave the bike a good clean and checked out the brakes etc. All in all I was satisfied with the price and the level of service. I would definately go back there.

Have also been using JOC, and have always offered a good service at a reasonable price. The guys are friendly and helpful and have no issue if you pitch up with your own parts for them to put on and set.

I have tried a new service from a guy called Fanie Kok 0722265841(has worked the epic) who picks your bike up from your house, services it and drops it off once complete. I will give some feedback once complete (he picked my Zula up last night), but have heard only good things about him from a mate of mine.

I took my Zula recently to John O connor cycles for a full service. Had a great experience there. The guys were professional and helpfull.

I think the service was 290, then the bb and headset were 80 each, then the linkage was 250. They also replaced all the cables, gave the bike a good clean and checked out the brakes etc. All in all I was satisfied with the price and the level of service. I would definately go back there.

i think they have a delivery van that services offices in the cbd area. so they can collect, service and then return to your work. good idea.

Another good shop is Crown Cycles. They are reasonable and do good work. They have helped me many times. Mark is the mechanic there and he knows his stuff.

+1

Service costs are a touchy subject because people have widely differing expectations. I charge a base R320 excluding parts (and excl. forks and suspension service on a MTB). For a bike with predominantly sealed bearings, which don't need replacing, I will drop to as low as R200. I no longer offer a minor service as I still have to clean the bikes and parts and often end up spending considerable time sorting out minor issues. To do a full service on a road bike takes me about as long as a service on my bakkie. (The bike parts are a lot more difficult to get hold of 'though). Based on this I don't think the general LBS charges are excessive.

The jury is still out on the cable housing. My feeling is that housing related shift problems are a result of worn/dirty inner tubing and I would rather use good (Shimano level) housing at about R25/m and dump it at the first sign of trouble than to debate whether to clean and reuse the top end stuff. But the customer is king so I am flexible.

What does the initial R290 entail?

Not quite sure what all gets done for R290, but was told that it is a full service excluding opening the BB and headset. Possibly gears, cables and brakes setting, lube and wash.

Not quite sure what all gets done for R290, but was told that it is a full service excluding opening the BB and headset. Possibly gears, cables and brakes setting, lube and wash.

Cool. A bit steeper than I'm used to. That would be a mini-service at my LBS, for R170, where a full service, including BB, headset and hubs would be R370 all-inclusive. But if the service is as good as you say, R290 ain't bad. :thumbup:

if I lived in CPT - i would use Revolution Cycles.

popped in to the store while I was down on holiday...

Awesome, friendly shopping experience!

Dropped my bike off at BMC. Will see how things go.

Let us know what you think.

I got my back from them yesterday and am always impressed with their workmanship.

So I got my bike back from BMC. Received the general service and serviced the front hub. Very happy with the service. Good communication. Bike shifts smooth. Finished my bike in time to cycle the weekend. Kevin gave me the lowdown about everything that was done on the bike. Final price was lower than quoted amount because he could salvage some parts instead of replacing. Defnitely not the cheapest service but I think if you are willing to pay a slight premium on good service it's worth it.

So I got my bike back from BMC. Received the general service and serviced the front hub. Very happy with the service. Good communication. Bike shifts smooth. Finished my bike in time to cycle the weekend. Kevin gave me the lowdown about everything that was done on the bike. Final price was lower than quoted amount because he could salvage some parts instead of replacing. Defnitely not the cheapest service but I think if you are willing to pay a slight premium on good service it's worth it.

Great that you've got a mechanic that will fix what can be, instead of just telling you need new. Big-up to them :clap:

Yupp, that's why I use and recommend them!