Industry 9 wheels

banna

There is nothing special about Industry 9 hubs. In fact, they have a problem in that their spoke flanges are slightly thinner than required (no doubt to save weight). This has the effect that standard J-bend spokes catch some air where they depart from the hub on their journey to the rim. This gap between flange and spoke is effectively offset or, a cantilever and causes spokes to break prematurely at the elbow.

They are about 40 grams per rear hub (I didn't weigh the front one) than Hope PRO IIs. Further, their widely differential hub flange sizes requires four spoke sizes (IIRC) instead of the usual two or even one. This is unnecessary.

Yes they do have many more engagement points than the industry standard but who cares? I don't. Engagement points are a moot issue if you're not ratcheting your way through trenches and other imaginary obstacles. Maybe trials riders will find benefit in micro-engagement points, I dunno and I don't know anybody who even thinks about that issue.

They look nice but at an egineering level, are nothing special. I also don't know why Chris King's are so revered. Harley Davidsons have the same cult-status that can definitely not be attributed to technology or common sense.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone riding with Industry 9 wheels? Need some feedback as to reliability and support for them in SA. Who's the agent in SA?

Best. For supply and support Rush Sports. First class lads. :thumbup:

They cost the price of a small African nations GDP. :thumbdown:

I can't even look at them without crying. <_<

So I won't. -_-

EDIT:

They have their own proprietary spokes.

They can't be compared to Hope or similar because they have a closer pawl design that improves freehub (engagement) takeup. No dead spots.

Contact Andre' :thumbup:

Edited by The Drongo

They look nice but at an egineering level, are nothing special. I also don't know why Chris King's are so revered. Harley Davidsons have the same cult-status that can definitely not be attributed to technology or common sense.

So what's your assessment of phil wood's?

So what's your assessment of phil wood's?

I can't give a fair answer to that question. The only Phil Woods I ever work with are for wheelchairs and hand bikes. I've built quite a number of wheels for hand cyclists and wheelchair racers using Phil Wood hubs. They too are nothing special. The bearings in those were of the cartridge type, but I would have like to see a labyrinth seal protect the rubber seal. perhaps they are not supposed to be exposed to the elements and don't require an additional seal.

Secondly, they are heavy as hell. Solid steel axles. In today's world where everything is judges in grams, even wheelchair racers look at the grams. I've had Phil Wood axles - these are cantilever axles with support at one side only - drilled out to make them lighter. So far so good. we took care to calculate where the highest stresses would be and made the hole stop elsewhere, to avoid stress risers in bad places.

I'm brand-agnostic when it comes to judging hubs.

1) They should preferrably be forged, not CNC'd. This allows the engineers to make them ligher than CNC'd ones of equal strength.

2) The flanges should be concave and ease the spokes into their journey to the rim. No sharp bends.

3) The spoke holes should NOT be chamfered, so that the spokes can be bedded in tightly with the flange.

4) The spoke holes should be about 2.2mm, not 2.5mm. Same reason as above.

5) The bearings should have at least 2 effective seals - one contact, one labyrinth

6) The bearings should be easiy serviceable requiring to proprietary tools. DT Swiss fails miserably here.

7) The freehub body should be robust and the pawls large, rustproof and well sealed. DT swiss fails pathetically here.

8) The hub, in this day and age, should be easy to convert from QR9 to TA 15/20 and vice-versa.

9) The rear hubs should run on four bearings and front on three. Mavic fails the rest here.

10)None of the bearings should be proprietary.

They have their own proprietary spokes.

You get them for standard J-bend spokes. The other ones are for straight-pull spokes, also freely available.

point taken johan...

You could drive around in a Corola when you have the will and means to drive a Ferrari or Lexus for that matter.

What would you buy if money was not an issue and if you were to build up your dream bike?

point taken johan...

You could drive around in a Corola when you have the will and means to drive a Ferrari or Lexus for that matter.

What would you buy if money was not an issue and if you were to build up your dream bike?

I've been building my dream bike - mentally that is - for ten years now and I'm no further. In my business, I get to work with the greatest and most beautiful stuff, but I never have to own it to experience it. I enjoy it.

I would imagine one makes choices like bike components for emotive and practical reasons - mostly emotive If I look at the discussions around here. Some years ago I had the hots for Chris King stuff. Then I looked at it closely and thought....naaah! Not worth the cash.

Lately I have the hots for Hope hubs. I have certainly lost my appetite for DT Swiss and certain Shimano hubs - inferior by any standard.

Spokes, DT Swiss or Sapim Revolution/Laser.

Rims...uhhhh.. perhaps a pair of bright and cheerful LoadedUSAs.

Tyres...who cares.

Nipples. Brass.

BOMBPROOF

Insightful, thanks...

And your opinion on all this 26+3" hype?

(log off, throw away computer, will be back in a week when the flames have died down)

Edited by ichnusa

I think in total the set cost me around 6k. yup, they're a bit too much on the beefy side for AM riding... but like I said, lace them to Sun Ringle MTX 29's or Spank Oozy rims and you've got a killer set!

Do you know where to get the Spank rims from? I see they've got a nice enduro/light freeride set called the Subrosa, which looks the type of thing I need for my Intense Tracer.

Do you know where to get the Spank rims from? I see they've got a nice enduro/light freeride set called the Subrosa, which looks the type of thing I need for my Intense Tracer.

Spank Subrosa... excellent choice Sir!

...I know a few guys who even had them on top specced DH rigs!

As for the best pace to get them... I'd suggest CRC. You can spec a custom built wheelset from them. It adds about 5-7 working days onto the delivery time, but that's how I had mine done and I was very chuffed.

heres the link:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=752

I don't know what hubs you've decided on. I'm still a huge promoter of the Hope Pro II's, but you may have something else in mind. I'd just suggest you go for something with sealed bearings.

As a rough indication... here's a Hope Pro II Evo specced Rear Wheel Build:

post-10758-0-14540400-1304950242.png

That price is excluding shipping and VAT (but shipping will be free if you get both the front and rear wheels in 1 order.

The price with VAT is around R2625. Front wheel will obviously be cheaper. You could also go for the non EVO Pro II's... or any other Hub as you desire.

Spank Subrosa... excellent choice Sir!

...I know a few guys who even had them on top specced DH rigs!

As for the best pace to get them... I'd suggest CRC. You can spec a custom built wheelset from them. It adds about 5-7 working days onto the delivery time, but that's how I had mine done and I was very chuffed.

heres the link:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=752

I don't know what hubs you've decided on. I'm still a huge promoter of the Hope Pro II's, but you may have something else in mind. I'd just suggest you go for something with sealed bearings.

As a rough indication... here's a Hope Pro II Evo specced Rear Wheel Build:

post-10758-0-14540400-1304950242.png

That price is excluding shipping and VAT (but shipping will be free if you get both the front and rear wheels in 1 order.

The price with VAT is around R2625. Front wheel will obviously be cheaper. You could also go for the non EVO Pro II's... or any other Hub as you desire.

Thanx bra! Jeesh, you know your stuff! Ja, I'm really in two minds about the hubs. I actually know that the Hopes is the correct and wise choice, but (and there's always a but...) I've been mtbiking for 10 years and eversins I started I've wanted a set of Chris Kings... that fricken CK sound and look is just something special. I know they are rediculously expensive and you can never ever justify it, but man... they are just the shizzle. Eish, and then there's the I9's as well... man, this is hard!

Thanx bra! Jeesh, you know your stuff! Ja, I'm really in two minds about the hubs. I actually know that the Hopes is the correct and wise choice, but (and there's always a but...) I've been mtbiking for 10 years and eversins I started I've wanted a set of Chris Kings... that fricken CK sound and look is just something special. I know they are rediculously expensive and you can never ever justify it, but man... they are just the shizzle. Eish, and then there's the I9's as well... man, this is hard!

Well, a Chris King rear wheel laced to a Subrosa rim with the upgraded spokes and nipples will set you back just under R4000 before VAT. The CK's are awesome and Bling... and they have a nice sound...

but before you dismiss the Hopes... Look to see who rides them. I know Danny MacAskill does, and the TWR (Trek World Racing) team uses them... yup, the same team that took 1st place in the mens and womens World Cup DH at PMB recently... ie. they're strong, reliable and light enough to be used on a top end works DH rig.

Sure I'm a little bias... cos I love my hope hubs... and currently I'm organizing the sale of a kidney to get some Hope Tech X2 brakes...

but seriously... maybe create a poll here asking Hope vs. Chris King vs. Industry 9 (obviously adding the question "is the extra money worth it?" with reference to the CKs and I9s).

But hey... if you have the cash for CK's... go for it!

ps. Hopes also make a unique awesome sound ;)

Edited by patches

Dude, HOPES all the way if you are building on a "budget". they are so easy to service, bombproof and come a multitude of spacers to convert from 9mm to 15mm axle to 20mm axle.

Spank Rims are also available through Rush Sports last I looked. Not sure about the Subrosa...

If you um'ing and ah'ing about I9's or CK, CK all the way. They don't actually compete longevity wise in my opinion. I have seen someone thrash an I9 freehub in a short period of time and with just regular riding 3 times a week. Besides, the clutch system on a CK just sounds so damn good!

The Nukeproofs are also awesome, and run a mile from Mavis freehubs, they are crap....but make use of there rims if you are building a set. Much stronger than DT rims, but may be heavier depending on the model.

Otherwise, CRC for a pair of Hope Hoops - probably the easiest and cheapest way to build up a custom wheelset. Choose Brass nipples for longevity and decent spokes like DT's and you are sort!

Happy building, I wish I was.....

Dude, HOPES all the way if you are building on a "budget". they are so easy to service, bombproof and come a multitude of spacers to convert from 9mm to 15mm axle to 20mm axle.

Spank Rims are also available through Rush Sports last I looked. Not sure about the Subrosa...

If you um'ing and ah'ing about I9's or CK, CK all the way. They don't actually compete longevity wise in my opinion. I have seen someone thrash an I9 freehub in a short period of time and with just regular riding 3 times a week. Besides, the clutch system on a CK just sounds so damn good!

The Nukeproofs are also awesome, and run a mile from Mavis freehubs, they are crap....but make use of there rims if you are building a set. Much stronger than DT rims, but may be heavier depending on the model.

Otherwise, CRC for a pair of Hope Hoops - probably the easiest and cheapest way to build up a custom wheelset. Choose Brass nipples for longevity and decent spokes like DT's and you are sort!

Happy building, I wish I was.....

Yeah... I wish I was building too!

Currently my CRC wishlist has a new wheelset for my 4X bike. Silver Hope Pro II EVOs laced to Red Spank Spoon rims (dirt Jump rims)... but sadly the rims are out of stock til August :(

As for local Spank retailers... yup! Rushsports is one... last I checked they only brought in the Oozy rims, but they may bring others in now.

Mikes Bikes also can do Spank rims. But CRC will be the cheapest option.

and yeah +1 on the Nukeproofs! My little 4X bike currently has a Nukeproof wheelset on... and I don't even know if I need to upgrade to the Hope/Spank customs builts?!

Thx for all the help gents. I currently run with the Shimano XT AM wheels. Not bad at all, but obviously not nearly in the league of Hope, CK etc. I'm actually not sure how tough the XT AM rims are? So far I haven't really taken anything more than 3 foot drops with them.

What about buying the Hopes and building them onto the XT AM rims?

Thx for all the help gents. I currently run with the Shimano XT AM wheels. Not bad at all, but obviously not nearly in the league of Hope, CK etc. I'm actually not sure how tough the XT AM rims are? So far I haven't really taken anything more than 3 foot drops with them.

What about buying the Hopes and building them onto the XT AM rims?

Provided you're running either 32 or 36 hole rims... that should work. Having sealed bearings would be an upgrade on the shimano hubs. Also not sure how burly the XT AM rims are... but they would look awesome laced to a red hope/CK hub ;)