29er Dual Suspension Advice

GoatBoy

Just wondering here, if you are fine with your bike at around 12-13kg, what did you guys ride previously and what did the bikes weigh ?

My large Anthem is 10.5. Only thing left standard is the frame - even changed the rear shock.

My large Anthem is 10.5. Only thing left standard is the frame - even changed the rear shock.

Details plz - I have a medium and have only changed the wheelset - plz let me know what components you changed and to what and if possible a rough estimate(R?) on each part

ja would love to know how you got it that low

There must be seome seriously trick and expensive stuff on there... My XTC 1 is 10.9kg with XT/XTR, Amercican Classic wheels and a Ritchey WCS finishing kit!

why are you guys note saying anything about the Titus Rockstar ? I have not heard anything bad about the bikes either and they seem reasonably priced.

And what about those specialized 29'ers? What are they thoughts on those. Had a look at one at the argus expo, very very nice looking bike. But does it ride very very nice ?

Just wondering here, if you are fine with your bike at around 12-13kg, what did you guys ride previously and what did the bikes weigh ?

A full suspension under 12kg and a hardtail under 11kg is good enough to be raced at National XC and National Marathon level.

From there on it is the condition of the rider that makes the difference.

I have a Epic 29er comp. First proper ride this morning. Love it.

Regarding the 142+ hub on the rear wheel: I've read up quite a bit and the way I understand it is that any 142 hub will work. The problem is when you have 2 sets of wheels and the 1 is the 142+ and the 1 is a regular 142. You will then have to adjust your rear derailleur every time you swop wheels. The standard wheels are pretty heavy.

I rode the Anthem X2 26inch standard and it weighed just on 12kgs with the heavy thorn-proof tubes. This is the same weight as the Anthem 29er that I ride now.

The only changes to the new steed is the 670mm swept back handlebar and a 900mm kcnc stem.

• 2 months later...

I currently ride the Giant XTC 29er hardtail and I am seriously considering going dual suspension to enable me to do longer rides that are easier on the back. I have already customized my bike quite a bit in terms of seatpost, handlebars, stem and wheelset.

So here is my question to you okes out there - what are the good 29er dual suspensions out there that still puts me in a better place than what I currently have (lighter or equal weight on the frame, etc.) but comes in under R50k? (the lower below this will also assist greatly in the stability of my marriage!)

Thanks for your views in advance.

what did you land up doing? im in the same position, XTC29er, full XT + Mavic Wheelset.. would like to just put all on a 29Dual sus frame?

• 3 months later...

what did you land up doing? im in the same position, XTC29er, full XT + Mavic Wheelset.. would like to just put all on a 29Dual sus frame?

I landed up going with a out of the box Epic S-works...