not dropping weight

Do yourself a favour and read Tim Ferriss' book "The 4-hour Body".

Some very interesting things in there in terms of what to eat, and how to exercise.

www.fourhourbody.com

I've lost weight on WeighLess, and put most of it back on. I've been hovering between 92-94kg for about a year now, and have now dropped 2kg in the last week. My intention is to use Tim's plan to drop 10kg in 30 days (one of his challenges) then re-assess after that what needs to be done.

Where did you get his book - and let us know if it works - i suffer from the same problem and need to lose 10kg's

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hear your pain van, im not overweigt but have about 2 to 4 kg around the waist that just doesnt go anywhere....think il start the 80% protein thing tomorrow

Fasting isn't the answer, but it demonstrates the science.

Caloric deficit equals weight-loss. If you're not losing weight, you are either eating too much (consuming too many calories) or not training enough or effectively (burning too few calories).

+1 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Check out www.fatsecret.com

If you have a calorie deficit you are even burning fat while you sleep, even if you eat your last meal in bed and it can even be pasta

The scary thing is how little your body needs to go through a day. If you eat good food then you don't even need 200gr of meat in a meal. So cut out the lazy aged steak and half a plate and chips and you will lose weight. 150gr of chicken, 4 table spoons of brown rice and some veggies is enough to take you to breakfast. 30gr of sereal with low fat milk and a small unsweetened juice will hold you till tea time. Small youghurt and a fruit will hold untill lunch. Some of what you ate last night, just cut down to about 75% will be okay untill afternoon tea where you have another fruit. Oh and don't forget the big glass of water every 2 hours. Please notice the absence of coffee.

What's wrong with coffee with sweetner and having it skinny?

The vast amount of advice above is the product of what i call "diet sampling". You see we all want to lose the most amount of weight in the shortest period of time and with the least amount of effort! What this translates to is us investing into empty promises (like 4-hour body) put out there by people who want to make money off you. After investing your hopes and money into these schemes you do perhaps lose the weight however once you have reached your "goal" you go back to your "usual way" of eating and you gain the weight back, plus.

There is no secret to weight loss it is definatley about the balance of calories eaten and expended but what happens when you hit that dreaded plateau??? Eating a high protein, calorie restricted and cut this out type of diet can only work for so long, and this only stimulates dysfunctional eating and leaves your organs working harder than they should and throws off your hormonal balance. This could leave you with a variety of other health concerns, never mind the excess weight that you are now concerned about!

Everyone is different and their body reacts differently to a change in lifestyle and as such it is vital to go to a dietitian and/or trainer who will individualize your needs and facilitate you to get to your goal. I am not in practice but i highly recommend Executive Wellness centre and the Sports Science Institute - both have DT's and PT's who have a sound track record.

Please do yourself a favour and dont pursue some crazy diets or advice that cuts out food groups, tells you to only sleep for two hours a day, offers pills and potions, etc, etc, etc.

We need all the foods that we have available to us (except junk food of course), we just have to learn how to incorporate them into our lifestyle so that we get lean and stay lean, and a DT can teach you all of this - after all we studied a science degree for 5 years and have to continuously stay updated with the latest and most valid research in order to keep our practice numbers, not to mention give you the best opportunity to health and wellness.

There is no easy fix - get the right advice!

The vast amount of advice above is the product of what i call "diet sampling". You see we all want to lose the most amount of weight in the shortest period of time and with the least amount of effort! What this translates to is us investing into empty promises (like 4-hour body) put out there by people who want to make money off you. After investing your hopes and money into these schemes you do perhaps lose the weight however once you have reached your "goal" you go back to your "usual way" of eating and you gain the weight back, plus.

There is no secret to weight loss it is definatley about the balance of calories eaten and expended but what happens when you hit that dreaded plateau??? Eating a high protein, calorie restricted and cut this out type of diet can only work for so long, and this only stimulates dysfunctional eating and leaves your organs working harder than they should and throws off your hormonal balance. This could leave you with a variety of other health concerns, never mind the excess weight that you are now concerned about!

Everyone is different and their body reacts differently to a change in lifestyle and as such it is vital to go to a dietitian and/or trainer who will individualize your needs and facilitate you to get to your goal. I am not in practice but i highly recommend Executive Wellness centre and the Sports Science Institute - both have DT's and PT's who have a sound track record.

Please do yourself a favour and dont pursue some crazy diets or advice that cuts out food groups, tells you to only sleep for two hours a day, offers pills and potions, etc, etc, etc.

We need all the foods that we have available to us (except junk food of course), we just have to learn how to incorporate them into our lifestyle so that we get lean and stay lean, and a DT can teach you all of this - after all we studied a science degree for 5 years and have to continuously stay updated with the latest and most valid research in order to keep our practice numbers, not to mention give you the best opportunity to health and wellness.

+1 - Everyone asks me what my secret is that lost me 30kg, when I tell them there is no secret just hard work they lose interest. Most people want something for nothing :o

Bravo! Well said dude.

As a once overweight guy I cannot agree with you more. Dieting is nonsense in my mind. Food is about education and understanding the ins and outs of what it is that you are eating and what it is your body needs. Any of those silly diets recommending paw paw day and night for 3 weeks is a load of garbage.

I'm not saying I'm perfect or at my goal weight. I like most people could cut out some booze and chocolates, then I would be closer to my ideal weight. But what I will say echos what FitDietician said. It takes time, generally a longer time than any of us want and this is the ONLY way to do it for one reason and one reason only sustainability.

My advice to anyone is get an eating plan. Understand what a plate should and should'nt be made up of at what times of the day. There is a thing as the better option when out at restaurants. And certain take aways are actually healthy, like Nandos. You need someone to explain this to you. Ultimately you will learn about food and new foods. Foods with bright colours that taste delicious, but are at the same time healthy! Food is meant to be enjoyed with family and friends. Now if you only eating fruit for an entire week, I dont care how good the fruit is but you wont be enjoying it after Day2!

Its a life long journey, there is no quick fix.

So Mampara are you saying no coffee even without sugar & low fat milk? :(

MAMPARA, YOU SUCK!!! :D Trying to take away my staplefood... you'll think!!

Bravo! Well said dude.

As a once overweight guy I cannot agree with you more. Dieting is nonsense in my mind. Food is about education and understanding the ins and outs of what it is that you are eating and what it is your body needs. Any of those silly diets recommending paw paw day and night for 3 weeks is a load of garbage.

I'm not saying I'm perfect or at my goal weight. I like most people could cut out some booze and chocolates, then I would be closer to my ideal weight. But what I will say echos what FitDietician said. It takes time, generally a longer time than any of us want and this is the ONLY way to do it for one reason and one reason only sustainability.

My advice to anyone is get an eating plan. Understand what a plate should and should'nt be made up of at what times of the day. There is a thing as the better option when out at restaurants. And certain take aways are actually healthy, like Nandos. You need someone to explain this to you. Ultimately you will learn about food and new foods. Foods with bright colours that taste delicious, but are at the same time healthy! Food is meant to be enjoyed with family and friends. Now if you only eating fruit for an entire week, I dont care how good the fruit is but you wont be enjoying it after Day2!

Its a life long journey, there is no quick fix.

Thanks and thats dudette! :)

I like your comment about "there is a thing as a better option when out at restaurants" - this is so valid :thumbup: ! Clearly you have invested your time in getting to know food and how you can enjoy it without feeling restricted, starved and deprived, while at the same time be at or close to your goal weight! Great feeling hey! :clap: Its all about balance!

Thanks and thats dudette! :)

I like your comment about "there is a thing as a better option when out at restaurants" - this is so valid :thumbup: ! Clearly you have invested your time in getting to know food and how you can enjoy it without feeling restricted, starved and deprived, while at the same time be at or close to your goal weight! Great feeling hey! :clap: Its all about balance!

Apologies dudette :)

It is all about balance. Life happens, routines change, the gym cant always be fitted in. But as long as I keep to the basics of the eating plan then I'm ok. The weight does fluctuate, but its been within a zone now for the past 5 years.

I'm a passionate foodie. I couldn't imagine life without delicious food, coffee, chocolate and wine. Just gotta balance it like you said :)

• 2 weeks later...

just to give you guys sum feed back.......

I made my meals a bit smaller.(don't know calories cos i don't count them). I used the

"big as your fist" portions and push my training time up with 10min. Looks like i broke the 118kg "block" and drop

3kg's sins i posted this last time. I am at 115kgs now and looks like i am going to drop

sum more. and its staying there cos i could not train last week and did not pick up weight again.

And i can see the CM dropping as well.

Thanks for all your help guys.

BIGVAN

just to give you guys sum feed back.......

I made my meals a bit smaller.(don't know calories cos i don't count them). I used the

"big as your fist" portions and push my training time up with 10min. Looks like i broke the 118kg "block" and drop

3kg's sins i posted this last time. I am at 115kgs now and looks like i am going to drop

sum more. and its staying there cos i could not train last week and did not pick up weight again.

And i can see the CM dropping as well.

Thanks for all your help guys.

BIGVAN

That is great news, its these small changes that can get you to your goal. Just remember that its not to say you have to keep dropping your portion sizes. Your as "big as a fist" is great but ensure that you getting enough calories to sustain you through the day especially since you have increased your training duration. It sounds like you have the balance right for now but re-evaluate the balance again when you hit another plateau.

Keep going and you will see the results!

Stay away from take-aways and sugary drinks. Aswell as beer and wine. Cut out white bread, potatoes and pasta aswell. Cut down on your fat intake. Do not stop at coffee shops during or after rides.

No potatoes or pasta??? What do you do for dinner?

No potatoes or pasta??? What do you do for dinner?

Brown rice. But try wholewheat pasta aswell. Tastes no difference to normal pasta.

Thanks guys!

Lots of good tips here. Got my self a hart rate monitor last week

and will keep the HR% in mind. My ride are getting longer but for

a guy my sises it takes a wile 2 get the ride time up. And i just do MTB

so ride time is shorter then road. But will get it up.

The whey and glutamine i only take after a long ride. So its not

a every day thing. Trust me it helps. Cos ever time i have a long ride my muscles hurt.

And i was of the whey and glutamine for 2 weeks and my weight staid the same but my muscle recovery

was very slow and i battled more and more with my rides.

I have not read all of this but there is some very good advice here.

What is a long ride for you?

Your muscles hurt because of intensity, not really the time you ride so maybe just don't ride that hard on the long rides.

I would really go for the drop all supplements while trying to lose weight one. It will take longer than 2 weeks for your body to react to the change and sore muscle normally also speeds up your metabolism so it helps with the fat burning. The only reason you should have for taking supplements is if you train so hard that it becomes hard to put back enough energy just by eating normal meals...someone said it here, you will be surprised to see how little your body needs to function.

Counting calories really is the way to go and because of the amount of fat stores you have I would think you should be able to handle more than 4000kj per day as a deficit. Every 15000kj should get rid of 500g of pure fat.