Lion Man Mabalingwe

leeu52

Certain things are important to some cyclists:

1. To ride the same route/distance as the other cyclists one has to compete with.

2. Not to have to queue for kilometers at the entrance.

3. An unimaginative, minimalistic, nothing to do with cycling, goody bag?

4. To have to ask for your medal at the finish.

Maybe next time...maybe not?

Edited by leeu52

Don't really know what you are on about there m8, no queue when I arrived (okay it was 7h55) and seriasly don't judge an event by its goodie bag (there are all a waste of effort imho)

85 k's was in fact 75 k's, not that I minded. Only problem for me was the big climb was unridable 4x4 route with ball bearing-like klippe the size of Ostrich eggs, very unpleasant, up and down. Please organisers keep mtb routes away from 4x4 trails. Preferred last years route, but ain't complaining, its a great ride through the bushveld, and a nice time of the year to do it. Final downhill didn't disappoint, flew down there! Water points all excellent, esp. that whole boere thing happening with the worsies and dare I say boere musik.

Something else happened at this event. I started passing people. Strange.

Oh, and I got two medals :)

Edited by kosmonooit

I enjoyed everything of the race. Did the 80km, and it was tough, very tough, but LOVED it!

Had no queue at the gate, quite the contrary.

Never too difficult. Please keep these kind of races coming, I LOVE them. Didn't ride all of the climbs, but darted every downhill like a monster (or so it felt).

I thought it had fast sections (first 35), tough climbs, hair raising descends, great organised (we took a wrong turn and on the way back kicked myself that we rode over a big fat cross).

Only my second marathon, but if they stay like this, I'll always be back. I can keep improving.

My husband started 2 groups behind me and finished ahead without passing me with 33kms on his clock vs 36 on mine. Members of our group commented on how quickly Groups F and G got ahead of us within a few kms of the start?? Same happened in 85km ride, apparently they took the wrong fork on the first stretch.

Great race, perfect weather, improvements on last year were more toilets and being seeded.

Enough technical and climbing bits to make it a challenge but otherwise relatively easy and fast roads/single track, I love it. Goodie bag great, thought the tin mug was a refreshing change and tell me where else you get free beers when you finish!!!

Leeu52,

Don't let the unimaginative, minimalistic thing in life get to you. No race will be perfect for everyone. Rather be greatfull for all the nice venues that we can cycle in.

Report I got today was that the new route sucks !! Previous years you could ride everything . Apparently this year a lot of portage ! Keep the portage sections for AR races , on a MTB race we like to ride . I did not do it this year purely because it is a sanctioned event .

Yes the big climb & decent was unridable for most. Wasn't the gradient, the surfaces was churned-up 4x4 track. Even hectic to walk on.

One thing I was impressed with was numbered boards throughout the route with cell number on for medical emergencies: Good Idea!

Edited by kosmonooit

This was my 1st Lion man.

I went into the race with comments like "it's not a hard race" and "it's nothing like the Monster".

So there I was at the 44km mark, riding my 3rd MTB race of my 2 years of cycling and I couldn't help but think "No way. If this isn't hard and not even close to as grueling as the Monster then maybe I'll stick to the shorter distances." :lol:

Personally I am very happy with the race. It was tough. It was grueling. It tested endurance and technical ability. It was a Marathon.

As for portage; there wasn't much that couldn't be ridden. I did dismount by choice where water was involved to spare the lube on my drive chain. I did dismount on the "climb to hell" because I was under the impression that my HR max is 182, so reading 190bpm made me rather get off and push. I did dismount twice going down after the "climb to hell" because I ran out of bravery. I did dismount because the riders ahead of me were pushing and left no ridable space. But I'm hard pressed to think of an "unridable" section in the race. Even the oh so horrid climb to hell is actually ridable for most part. The sections that I did push was because my hart wanted to climb out of my chest and run back down that mountain.

The views from those climbs were amazing...

Top marks from me for the event as a whole. :thumbup:

Oh and remember: "Please do not feed, eat or play with the animals" :lol:

This was my 1st Lion man.

I went into the race with comments like "it's not a hard race" and "it's nothing like the Monster".

So there I was at the 44km mark, riding my 3rd MTB race of my 2 years of cycling and I couldn't help but think "No way. If this isn't hard and not even close to as grueling as the Monster then maybe I'll stick to the shorter distances." :lol:

Personally I am very happy with the race. It was tough. It was grueling. It tested endurance and technical ability. It was a Marathon.

As for portage; there wasn't much that couldn't be ridden. I did dismount by choice where water was involved to spare the lube on my drive chain. I did dismount on the "climb to hell" because I was under the impression that my HR max is 182, so reading 190bpm made me rather get off and push. I did dismount twice going down after the "climb to hell" because I ran out of bravery. I did dismount because the riders ahead of me were pushing and left no ridable space. But I'm hard pressed to think of an "unridable" section in the race. Even the oh so horrid climb to hell is actually ridable for most part. The sections that I did push was because my hart wanted to climb out of my chest and run back down that mountain.

Top marks from me for the event as a whole. :thumbup:

Oh and remember: "Please do not feed, eat or play with the animals" :lol:

Goeie review.

Nou maak jy my jaloers...

As for portage; there wasn't much that couldn't be ridden.

Sure: but I did qualify when I said 'unridable' maybe top 1/2 rode up there, the rest pushed and cursed, but small hassle, didn't really deter my enjoyment of the event. 1/2 way up when I mounted on a stretch to give it another go, the front wheel kicked out on one of those gigantic marble type rocks that I didn't manage to dodge and I smacked my knee on the frame .. limped up the rest of the way. Coming down I rode to a point where it was loose & bumpy and very steep, beyond my skills. But then soon enough again we a-rolling to worsie land, and I really enjoyed the rest of the route.

But I don't enjoy seeing the environmental damage 4x4 trails are doing. All fun & games now, but in 10 ... 20 ... years time, dongas?

Yes, the views were amazing, almost to the horizon. It was a very clear day.

I must say I had an amazing time.

First time doing it. Don't know why they guys are refering to 85km it was advertised as 80km.

The climb was a bit of mission but got up it with minimal walking which i was happy about. I really don't like walking.

And maybe i was one of the lucky ones but I got to ride it all the way down with out having to get off.

And yeah Warmbaths School with the Coke and Worsies was the winner on the water tables.

From there I had a wonderful fast rest of the race and last hills was tuff but got to ride it all (portage what are the guys talking about)

That is it. Untill next year then.

I must say I had an amazing time.

First time doing it. Don't know why they guys are refering to 85km it was advertised as 80km.

The climb was a bit of mission but got up it with minimal walking which i was happy about. I really don't like walking.

And maybe i was one of the lucky ones but I got to ride it all the way down with out having to get off.

And yeah Warmbaths School with the Coke and Worsies was the winner on the water tables.

From there I had a wonderful fast rest of the race and last hills was tuff but got to ride it all (portage what are the guys talking about)

That is it. Untill next year then.

Dude, massive respect if you had the legs and juice to climb the whole of that last "Vodacom hill" without taking a little breather. However, if that is the case then maybe you didn't ride the rest of the race hard enough :P

Also I doubt you can call yourself "Hefty" if you're sub 90kg ;)

That first climb was pretty harsh there were a few places I had to push and a few where I just carried on pushing because speed I could climb at was about a km faster than pushing :)

I loved the race I stayed at Mabalingwe just got home now so had no hassles rode down from unit on saturday and was trouble free.

Got a A batch seeding dont know how as I am usually seeded C or D but what a pleasure never got held up once anywhere except a little bit of congestion at a couple places on first climb.

Man did I push Buys and Justice and co hard for that first km down the runway then they just managed to drop me along with most of the other A batch riders :D

There were a couple of downhill sections that were pretty hectic I rode everything although at times had one foot uncleated and was just sliding but really got the adrenalin pumping.

Vodacom climb was tame after the first one and nice descent to finish

My first Lionman and thought it was great :thumbup: