Carbon bike parts and frames

gummibear

On Sunday i did a ride and a run strait after that and i left my bike in the car(as many people do after races).when i got back to the car and opened the door the heat just hit me .the car must have been 55+ deg.

now my question is what does this heat do to a carbon/allu frame at the joints and on the fork or any other carbon parts.

will this heat cut the life of the parts shorter?

can it weaken the carbon?

I am sure JB will give you something to think about with regards to that question.LOL

My civil duty in this matter is to provide JB with some cannon fodder in the meantime...LOL

My sense is that there will be no adverse effects, since

1) The curing of the material involves heat/pressure during initial manufacture and again during the painting process (definitely at temps higher than 55degs!)

2) Being non-metallic, the material should also be less prone to expansion/contraction as a result of heat fluctuations meaning the glued joints (do they even do that nowadays?) should remain intact

Exposure to UV could cause fade, but I doubt the impact of time in the car is greater than doing a 4 hr ride in full sun.

A completely uneducated, but hopefully logical, opinion.

PS: I hope you treated her to a decent wash after neglecting her so badly...

I am sure JB will give you something to think about with regards to that question.LOL

My civil duty in this matter is to provide JB with some cannon fodder in the meantime...LOL

My sense is that there will be no adverse effects' date=' since

1) The curing of the material involves heat/pressure during initial manufacture and again during the painting process (definitely at temps higher than 55degs!)

2) Being non-metallic, the material should also be less prone to expansion/contraction as a result of heat fluctuations meaning the glued joints (do they even do that nowadays?) should remain intact

Exposure to UV could cause fade, but I doubt the impact of time in the car is greater than doing a 4 hr ride in full sun.

A completely uneducated, but hopefully logical, opinion.

PS: I hope you treated her to a decent wash after neglecting her so badly...

[/quote']

You have got it coming your way......big time, especially where you eluded to the glued jointsLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

[EB rereads post, blushes]

Ok, so with a Carbon/Alu frame, the interface points btwn the different material types would be subject to different rates of contraction, possibly causing weak points. How "hot" 55degs is is another question altogether, since paint is cured at 60-80 degs (I think).

Carbon/epoxy gets cured at around 150 degrees C or more. 55 should be no problem.

WRT thermal expansion, it expands less than steel, much less than aluminium.

I've got no idea what UV will do to it.

I heard a story (which I don't actually believe) that a guy racked up his bike on the back of his car for a trip from PE to CT and the exhaust melted the carbon fork.

I heard a story (which I don't actually believe) that a guy racked up his bike on the back of his car for a trip from PE to CT and the exhaust melted the carbon fork.

Very likely, I saw a carbon wheel the were damaged...not melted...by the exhaust.