Magalies Monster 2011

Titan29er

Saw it marked in my calendar this weekend, started training right away. Two weeks to fitness, can only hope :blink:

Ah well, what doesn't kill you .....

Also doing it, but only entered the 45km :blush: I believe the same climb is in the 45 too?

Good luck everyone! :clap:

If you are talking about "the monster" then no...its not in the 45km...only in the longer one.

If you are talking about "the monster" then no...its not in the 45km...only in the longer one.

Just checked the route profiles, yeah you right! not nearly as big an ascent as the "monster". Almost 300m higher :o good luck oaks!

Also doing it, but only entered the 45km :blush: I believe the same climb is in the 45 too?

Good luck everyone! :clap:

Don't believe that, I have done both the 45km and the 75km and "THE MONSTER" climb is only in the 75km route!;)

Just checked the route profiles, yeah you right! not nearly as big an ascent as the "monster". Almost 300m higher :o good luck oaks!

This race is seriously tough imo...alot of climbing on loose baby heads, and the portages as just as tough, I am doing quite a bit of jogging as prep for this race.

Not quite up breedts neck, but it ends at the top of the neck. all single track and UPHILL. Love going down the other side. very long and UP!

The monster goes up to the top of breeds nek, but not on the road, as GTR said. The decent is down the road on the far side (buffelspoort dam side). The climb is sort of parallel to that to your right if you are on the decent, and joins up to the road on the switch back U-turns near the top on the non-dam side.

Great race.

I am doing it this year... toying between the 45km and the 75km! Think I'm mad to consider the 75km, but in the mood for a challenge before Induna! From what I've heard: this race eats bicycles... :unsure:

@ Swartpiet,

You make me feel better now! I have entered for the Magalies 75km, but was doubtful if I must still do it! I also did the Lion Man 80km the weekend. Your comment has made me decide to go big, not home! Have done the Forest 2 Falls end of April as well - was my first 2 marathon races!

Thats the spirit Herman, I like that attitude!

I am doing it this year... toying between the 45km and the 75km! Think I'm mad to consider the 75km, but in the mood for a challenge before Induna! From what I've heard: this race eats bicycles... :unsure:

You do see quite a few bike casualties on this race esp chains and derailures etc I lost a derailure hanger etc 2 years back only managed 11km then :angry:

Had a trouble free ride last year but it is quite a hard race but a must do :)

Is there normally a lot of riders in this race, and do you experience problems with bottlenecks forming where you have to wait in line and push your bike uphills?