Hooray for riser bars...

Eldron

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaaaah yes, the famous Monkey lite bar. Just add a Thomson stem and you're sorted.

True that!!! :thumbup:

I have used those flared grips on riser bars. They make a huge difference in terms of comfort, and don't bring the style police down on me. Sadly I now have a carbon riser that won't allow them.

I have found the new BBB lock-on foam grips with a curved profile that fits nicely into your palm. They are super comfy!!

I'm looking for the Rav-X ones foamy lock-ons. Only 55gr a pair. But R200 at Northcliff cycles. That is nuts.

I felt like i was falling off the front of the bike on steep downhills and i also went with the Ritchey bars.Now it doesn't feel so bad on the steep declines anymore.

I'm looking for the Rav-X ones foamy lock-ons. Only 55gr a pair. But R200 at Northcliff cycles. That is nuts.

I think the BBB ones were about the same price, with a locking ring only on the inside. I am sure I overpaid, but They are nice. They come in black and also white (for those chasing the bling)

funny enough, a lot of DHers are lowering the rise used... some even run bars that look like flats.

My first set of bars on my DH bike were 680mm Hussefelts with 40mm ride. I then replaced them with 780mm Answer Pro Tapers with 1" rise. 100mm was a massive difference. So was the reduction in rise.

The FR bike I used to have ran 720mm Race Face bars with 30mm rise.

My 4X bike has 700mm Spank Royalas with 20mm rise

And I've just placed a CRC order with some 780mm Answer Pro Tapers 1/2" rise to replace the 1" rise bars tht used to be on my DH sled.

So yeah... wide bars with decent rise add a world of confidence when tackling the tech.

I don't understand how some people can feel in control with bars so narrow that if they were to extend their thumbs they'd almost touch.

Saving a few grams at the cost of control... stupid in my books

Yup, risers are the bomb. I've got 680mm on my bike which seems perfect for singletrack through trees. My buddy has a 710mm and it's sometimes just that little bit too wide when you're klapping it through the trees. He's hugged a tree more than once...

I've just gonw from a 660mm(raceface evolve) to a 710mm(kcnc), and almost took out a few trees. :o May cut it to 680mm now.

Eldron you ..............

poofter, poser, fun rider, hacker, DH wannabe, numptie, nubbin and weekend warrior

........ as you said it.

We see on Saterday how those bars work ........Bwhhaha :P

Damn you karma!

I've probably angered the mtb gods too by saying that my technical skills are now Minaaresk.

Ah well - live hard, die young, leave a good looking corpse. Or in my case a damn fine looking corpse. Mwaaahahahahaha.

I don't understand how some people can feel in control with bars so narrow that if they were to extend their thumbs they'd almost touch.

Saving a few grams at the cost of control... stupid in my books

I know where you ride :angry: :lol: :lol:

780mm? How do okes get passed on a jeep track then huh :unsure:

Agreed - I'm more than happy with my 660mm - I can understand how Dhers want the 780mm - the precision is fantastic.

As far as grips go: http://www.esigrips.com/ - best I've ever used and way more durable than I'd thought!

Put them on with hairspray though - the recommended dishwash solution becomes a problem in the rain!!!!

Edit: I've just found out ESI is a TLA for Extreme Steering Inc..

Edited by Eldron

As far as grips go: http://www.esigrips.com/ - best I've ever used and way more durable than I'd thought!

Put them on with hairspray though - the recommended dishwash solution becomes a problem in the rain!!!!

Edit: I've just found out ESI is a TLA for Extreme Steering Inc..

+1 for the ESI's and hairspray (used my wifes extreme hold ...). Got them before 24hr solo in December and still look good. Includes Epic ... even though they white they have held up well :thumbup:

Still trying to work out how a person know whats best for you without it being a costly exercise.

Which is the better sweep, rise and width for ones self? How do you go about working this out or deciding what riser bar to go width.