Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem with big apertures is of course that wherever you focus will/should be pin sharp.

So often not the best desired results are to be found.

I would have like to have had both athletes in full focus.

post-4100-0-34005600-1343904844.jpg

Edited by Dangle

no need for f2.8. but it does help. take the other advice. that's floating around its a fine balance to get enough light for the shots without the advantage of f2.8 but it can be done. up you shutter speed. and play with ISO and panning

Pleeeease don't shout at me, I know there's Google and wiki answers but i'd like to get a answer without filtering through bull***t :ph34r:

Can someone please explain the ISO setting on a camera? what does it stand for and what it does? The settings range from 100 to 3200.

Some help please. I've got a Canon 500D. I took a lot of pics at my daughters Gymnastics comp this past weekend, but afterwards when looking at the photos there are a lot of blurred photos. Is it my lense that is to slow as the move extremely fast at some sections?(using the 18-55 and 75-300 Lenses that came with the cam) or is it my photography skills?

Some good advice given.

I've been photographing my sons' gymnastics for the last 6 or 7 years and came to the conclusion that it is just a bitch of a sport to photograph. First of all they force you to stand very far away, secondly, the venues are often poorly lit with fluorescent lights and thirdly, you cannot use flash.

Gymnastics specific advice to try:

Move around with your daughter, try to get to the closest or best vantage point for whatever apparatus she is on. Don't sit in the stands and try shooting from there. (Pity one cannot get onto the floor.) Use a tripod or monopod or some kind of rest to reduce camera movement. Some angles simply never works (rings from 45degrees looks dull but square on can be impressive), so try different things. Often gymnastics movements are too fast for even the fast lenses. Try timing your shots for the more static or slow parts of a routine. Alternatively accept the blurryness as part of the action.

Edited by DJR

Pleeeease don't shout at me, I know there's Google and wiki answers but i'd like to get a answer without filtering through bull***t :ph34r:

Can someone please explain the ISO setting on a camera? what does it stand for and what it does? The settings range from 100 to 3200.

Its origin is from film if I'm not mistaken..

But basically.. Its your receivers sensitivity to light.. The higher the ISO the more sensitive...

But also, the higher the ISO the more "noise"..

Think of a camera as a light recorder.. If that makes sense..

Hi guys and girls. I am looking for a good condition second hand 100x400mm sigma lens with stabilizer. Anyone know of someone looking to sell theirs? Pls let me know. Thanks

Sunset in the Dunes

D100 with a 300 2.8 and a 1.4 converter which helps to compress the dunes. Shot directly into the sun, I underexposed by 2 stops to darken the shadows and highlight the sand blowing on the surface.

post-23573-0-06822900-1344639472.jpg

@Kavandje

You are fortunate to live in one of the most photogenic countries on earth.

The dunes picture is absolutely stunning. The figure in the foreground is what lifts it to another level. Btw, what is he carrying?

Oh, and since even the tar roads in Namibia are photogenic......somewhere near Keetmanhoop on the way home......

post-17716-0-05759900-1344678098.jpg

Sunset in the Dunes

D100 with a 300 2.8 and a 1.4 converter which helps to compress the dunes. Shot directly into the sun, I underexposed by 2 stops to darken the shadows and highlight the sand blowing on the surface.

Fantastic :thumbup: :thumbup:

@ DJR . Also been very fortunate to see every last cm of it as well. The person in the image is carrying a tripod.