Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

Try Studio 22 as well. They're a smaller outfit, but based in Century City - we (my wife, actually) use them for all our printing needs as well, apart from canvas which we use another private provider for. 

I have seen some of their pricing, very good .

ORMS also offer some value .

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen some of their pricing, very good .

ORMS also offer some value .

Yeah, they are. And they're a good bunch. I find for printing purposes that ORMS is just overwhelmed a lot of the time, so where Studio can bang prints out on the spot, ORMS has a lead time and and and...

plus they serve a decent coffee.

Wyatt, I dont disagree, but 24mm on crop is relatively long. As an all round lens, you might find it too long, especially if you walking about and want to capture street photography etc... I talk of experience, as I often end up using the lower range of my 17-50mm.

Also, a 24-70 DOES NOT become a 24-105 on crop, it becomes a 38-105mm equivalent. 38mm is not that wide. I just dont want the buyer to invest lots of money and then realise they missing a very important focal range.  What you also need to know is that the 17-50mm F2.8 (by canon or tamron) performs better on a cropped body than a full frame lens would, as they designed for those sensors as they cropped specific lenses. They use all the effective glass available as apposed to full frame lens where you cramming 20megapixel of information through 40% less glass.

And yes, you might say that a crop body isnt for landscapes. I completely disagree, as a NON-PRO, i couldnt justify the price premium of full frame, but that didnt stop me from getting and ultra wide at R2999 and start enjoying landscape shooting.

It all depends on banna and what he wants to shoot.

Edited by nazmo

Wyatt, I dont disagree, but 24mm on crop is relatively long. As an all round lens, you might find it too long, especially if you walking about and want to capture street photography etc... I talk of experience, as I often end up using the lower range of my 17-50mm.

And yes, you might say that a crop body isnt for landscapes. I completely disagree, as a NON-PRO, i couldnt justify the price premium of full frame, but that didnt stop me from getting and ultra wide at R2999 and start enjoying landscape shooting.

It all depends on banna and what he wants to shoot.

I did not say a cropped sensor is not for landscape, but it is never really going to get used for wide angle images.

The one issue I have with wide angle lenses on cropped bodies is the distortion especially with buidlings .

This was taken with my 7 D and a Tokina fisheye lens .

14468719660_243caec281_o.jpgSerene rise by OddPix1, on Flickr

8348734348_c33b74ae4f_o.jpgGolden Gate 7D-11 by OddPix1, on Flickr

not a photographer at all never mind a newbie.

so  i splashed on the 70d & 18 -55 STM.

my wife is set on the 70 -300 L zoom - was at Orms and compared this to the Sigma 18 -300 -  Canon just better from an operation point, i think. want to invest in quality items that need not be replaced for any silly reason.

any thoughts / advice.

Hey Madone

The current crop of STM/Kit lenses are very capable. Much better sharpness than older kit lenses. The STM (silent) is ideal for video filming, that the 70D excels at, though I never used.

The first question is, what would you like to shoot?

You current 18-55mm lens would be great as an every day lens, so my suggestion is identify your interests, and buy accordingly.

I for example, love doing people and portraits.  So my goto lenses are my 50mm F1.4 (about R4k) and an 85mm F1.8 (I think around R5500). If I had the room, and could always get away with it, my 85mm will never leave my camera. A good prime, at least one, at a zoom length you like shooting is one of the best lenses you can get. You will be amazed with the image quality and the ability to blur the background.

Avoid superzooms, if image quality is paramount (18-300mm).  Their optics, to achieve that range really suffers. they also dont allow much light in. There is a reason why pro zoom lenses are physically that big (and expensive). If you want a long zoom for general shooting, the 50-250mm STM lens is very capable and sharp. If you have the budget, and want your zoom to double as a portrait, or low light sports, get the 70-200mm Canon (or tamron at half the price).

It all depends on your budget. I went through all the lenses above, I had a 70-200mm, I have a 50-250mm, I tried a 18-300mm

If you want to try landscapes, look at the 10-18mm STM lens. Its relatively cheap, but very capable.  

The very cheap canon 10-18mm is actually very acceptable

This image had no lens correction done at all.

16711440059_cd8f6b8416_k.jpg

It works well on open stuff like this and no lens correction will be needed .

With buildings it becomes painful  :(

Mirrorless cameras are good, nice and small and compact.

I have an Olympus OMD-EM 5 , it's pretty damn good with the standard lit lens, but it will never replace my DSLR as my first choice.

I still have the standard kit lens on mine .

Standard kit lens, hand held.

10996817_777489149008883_864067713284993